Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Embarrassing Question

Nydus
11.20.2012 , 11:49 AM | #1
So I have 3 level 50 characters, all in "end game".

And I hate to admit it but I've NEVER done an operation. The few times I hear of a group getting together, I usually send out a request and am then asked for my specs. I tell them I'm in whatever warhero gear, usually with mods etc. at around level 58, and they usually say "sorry, full!".

What am I doing wrong? How do I get started ;(?

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

jeniyagyu
11.20.2012 , 11:51 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
So I have 3 level 50 characters, all in "end game".

And I hate to admit it but I've NEVER done an operation. The few times I hear of a group getting together, I usually send out a request and am then asked for my specs. I tell them I'm in whatever warhero gear, usually with mods etc. at around level 58, and they usually say "sorry, full!".

What am I doing wrong? How do I get started ;(?

- Arcada
It depends on the operation, if you've never done ANY operations before, I would start by using the GF to queue up for KP and EV Storymodes, just so you can get the feel of it.
55 Shadow - 55 Sage - 55 Gunslinger
55 Assassin - 55 Sorcerer - 55 Operative - 55 Juggernaut
~Just wants to raid and have fun. Seriously, Guild Politics make me want to /wrists.~

Journeyer
11.20.2012 , 11:56 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by jeniyagyu View Post
It depends on the operation, if you've never done ANY operations before, I would start by using the GF to queue up for KP and EV Storymodes, just so you can get the feel of it.
Definitely--Group Finder. And if you get people vote-kicking you, then /ignore them so you don't run into elitist snobs.
Eternity Vault Story Mode can be done in pretty much straight level 50 gear, easily done in Tionese (rank 51). Easily.
All of the Story Mode Ops have been set up so that nothing more than 56 ranked gear is needed, as long as you learn the mechanics.

And on that note--might want to check up on the mechanics, or at least ask for an overview of what happens before each fight. There are lots of neat mechanics to each one, and they are very easy to learn and execute...but helps to have some idea of what you are looking for to speed things along.

You'll have no problems, though; groupfinder it and have fun~ Welcome to Ops!!
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

Stacksamus
11.20.2012 , 12:05 PM | #4
Join a friendly guild and do it with people you can chillax and kick back with :>)
My sniper rifle makes a very distinct sound, listen for it, as it will be the last thing you hear.
( - - )
(Server: The Red Eclipse - Guild: Nightmare's Legion)

Elyssandra
11.20.2012 , 12:06 PM | #5
IMHO the best way would be to go with a guild group or friends who will be patient with you, explain mechanics & your role if needed, answer questions and not just run through while expecting you to somehow know everything.

If that's not possible - the group finder for story mode operations would be a good way to quickly dip in your toes, as suggested above. Keep in mind though that a lot of over-geared people run these just for the comms. Just let the group know you haven't done it before and hopefully they will be patient and answer any questions you may have. If you encounter an impatient or rude group, it may color your view of operations. You can also watch youtube videos of EV or KP prior to the run, so you have a basic understanding of what to do.

Quick question though - how did you end up with 58 gear without doing operations?

CaptAnon
11.20.2012 , 12:27 PM | #6
What if you're new 50 in recruit gear?

Nydus
11.20.2012 , 12:43 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyssandra View Post
Quick question though - how did you end up with 58 gear without doing operations?
Primarily PVP.

For example, my Sorcerer is decked out in a complete War Hero Force-Master's set. I've also augmented this with drops and purchases and participating in the game events. Will that armour set be worth anything in an operation?

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

SPrime
11.20.2012 , 12:44 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptAnon View Post
What if you're new 50 in recruit gear?
You can do story mode EV and KP in full recruit gear. It is essentially as good as the tionese gear.

From those you can grind a set of Columi. Thus moving you into HM EV and KP to get Rakata gear.

Once you got a few pieces of Rakata you can start SM EC and TFB.

DrewFromPhilly
11.20.2012 , 12:47 PM | #9
If your operative or sorcerer is heal spec'd I would suggest doing the operation as them first, because it can be a lot easier to get into a group as healer and tbh EV and KP are not that hard on the healer anyway.

SPrime
11.20.2012 , 12:53 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
Primarily PVP.

For example, my Sorcerer is decked out in a complete War Hero Force-Master's set. I've also augmented this with drops and purchases and participating in the game events. Will that armour set be worth anything in an operation?

- Arcada
Your WH gear is the equivalent to 58 gear in pve. Keep in mind that the stat distribution is a bit lower then pure pve gear. The armouring by itself is 30 points main stat lower. But I see no reason why you would be turned down other then people saying you shouldn't bring PvP gear to pve. But keep in mind these people have a sour taste in their mouths because pvpers get mad at them for showing up in a wz with all pve gear.