Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can't recall mis-sent mail?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Can't recall mis-sent mail?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Darkgrace
11.19.2012 , 09:31 AM | #1
I recently sent some mail to my alt containing various mats for biochem. Due to all the names being taken after the server merges, I had used a special character when making the alt, and must have sent the mail to the wrong character as it never arrived

Dismayed, I contacted customer support and was informed that its not possible to offer a restoration, nor is it possible to recall the mail or forward it to the correct player. I was informed this was a categorical impossibility, and no other workarounds such as deleting the mail and restoring the items would be possible

I contacted support within the 30 min mailing period for account to account mail, so even if the other character is still an active character and just happened to have been online, there is no way they could have taken the items from the mail yet

I'm kinda hoping I was blatantly lied to or was simply given incorrect information by an incompetent represenitive (the girl I spoke with was obviously new to CS) as I need those mats to continue leveling my crafting

Could I get a second opinon on my situation?

If it is indeed not possible to recall mail, delete mail or restore mail, can I inquire as to why? I happen to be intimately familiar with MMO support for other companies in the industry and as long as the mail hasn't already been removed, this should be a simple right-click "return to sender" situation, why isn't that the case here?

drpeppercan
11.20.2012 , 10:50 AM | #2
i just did the exact same thing

Tirvaak
11.20.2012 , 11:10 AM | #3 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi Darkgrace,

Thank you for posting. The details you were given by the CS agent are correct, it is not possible to do what you are requesting. I understand this must be frustrating but unfortunately there is no way to change this.

However, if you have sent these items to an inactive account, the mail will be returned to you within 30 days of it being sent.

Thanks.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

TekAlcon
11.20.2012 , 11:13 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Tirvaak View Post
Hi Darkgrace,

Thank you for posting. The details you were given by the CS agent are correct, it is not possible to do what you are requesting. I understand this must be frustrating but unfortunately there is no way to change this.

However, if you have sent these items to an inactive account, the mail will be returned to you within 30 days of it being sent.

Thanks.
start the painful process of getting all the matts back, or wait in a crafting rut for a month...............great support bioware..
You cant spell slaughter without laughter
55 Sith Juggernaut Savag
55 Commando Texos
30 Assassin Grimorus

Icebergy
11.20.2012 , 11:15 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TekAlcon View Post
start the painful process of getting all the matts back, or wait in a crafting rut for a month...............great support bioware..
Don't blame Bioware for your mess up. You sent the mail to the wrong character, Bioware did nothing wrong. Can any other games restore miss-sent mail? I don't think so.
10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM, 7/10 HM

Darkgrace
11.20.2012 , 05:20 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Don't blame Bioware for your mess up. You sent the mail to the wrong character, Bioware did nothing wrong. Can any other games restore miss-sent mail? I don't think so.
Actually in World of Warcraft, mis-sent mail can indeed be recalled so long as it hasn't already been taken from the mail by the person who got it. And in such a case, I do understand why it can no longer be returned; at that point it becomes messy, especially if items have been added to a stack of mats or have already been sold. used, etc. Recalling promptly reported mis-sent mail is a simple, everyday support task

What boggles me is the statement that it can't be done, especially when reported so promptly, I literally logged over to check for the mats and reported it within minutes.

I'm not stating that my sending mats to the wrong character is Biowares fault. It was a mistake, my mistake, and one with which I am seeking support

Support not having the ability to edit mail or items seems like a big oversight. That's a pretty important feature... It just seems like someone has the ability to take 2 seconds and press a recall button and save me hours worth of re-farming or a month and a prayer of waiting to hope I can get my own items back

Luceon
11.20.2012 , 05:29 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Except you are barking at someone who is not the original poster. Excellent observation my friend.

I have wondered for a long time now why there isn't a tab within the mail system that includes status of sent mail. I also now wonder why there isn't a simple system in place that checks for unused characters and prevents you from sending that non-existent character mail (unless there is someone you sent it to, hell of a stretch though), especially when there is already an auto-fill of guild members names and people you have on your friends list.
Maybe I don't want a signature....

oNemesis
11.20.2012 , 07:45 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkgrace View Post
I recently sent some mail to my alt containing various mats for biochem. Due to all the names being taken after the server merges, I had used a special character when making the alt, and must have sent the mail to the wrong character as it never arrived

Dismayed, I contacted customer support and was informed that its not possible to offer a restoration, nor is it possible to recall the mail or forward it to the correct player. I was informed this was a categorical impossibility, and no other workarounds such as deleting the mail and restoring the items would be possible

I contacted support within the 30 min mailing period for account to account mail, so even if the other character is still an active character and just happened to have been online, there is no way they could have taken the items from the mail yet

I'm kinda hoping I was blatantly lied to or was simply given incorrect information by an incompetent represenitive (the girl I spoke with was obviously new to CS) as I need those mats to continue leveling my crafting

Could I get a second opinon on my situation?

If it is indeed not possible to recall mail, delete mail or restore mail, can I inquire as to why? I happen to be intimately familiar with MMO support for other companies in the industry and as long as the mail hasn't already been removed, this should be a simple right-click "return to sender" situation, why isn't that the case here?
i did this just before cause of a typo lol instead of i put a standard e lol wow what a pain i sent a ticket straight away and nothing and probs gonna be no solution, own fault tbh but wish they could do something, it was meant to go to my little brother and now some random inactive guy (atm) has just recieved over 2mil in items and credits when and if he comes back on haha i hope not! they should implement a system where u can recover mail in the first hour its so dumb!