Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Macbook Air

11.19.2012 , 01:27 PM | #1
Im running on Macbook air i7, 8gb ram, Intel HD 4000. it runs on high graphics settings with shadows off.

However twice now after half an hour of play the macbook has restarted during play, the fans are on full blast and the air feels very hot I'm assuming it restarts to protect itself from overheating.

Is anyone running the game on a macbook air and playing without any restarts from over heating? Would turning the graphics settings down help?

11.19.2012 , 01:38 PM | #2
I got no idea, but I am curious. How are you running the game? Through bootcamp?

11.19.2012 , 02:16 PM | #3
I used to play LotRO on a macbook using boot camp, and I had the same problem. What worked for me was using a large text book as a makeshift cooling pad. I'd have the textbook on my lap and then the mac on top. Hope this helps!
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."- George Carlin
*Forever Shenanigans*

11.19.2012 , 05:36 PM | #4
If your macbook (or windows notebook for that matter) is shutting itself off due to overheating, you need to make sure that nothing is blocking the air intakes for the cooling fans. (I read something not so long ago about a person who couldn't understand why their notebook kept overheating so much. Turned out they were playing with the notebook sitting on their bed, on a big fluffy comforter, so of course, there was virtually no airflow).

Second, you may need to have a look inside your macbook or notebook and make sure you don't have a lot of dust and junk clogging the radiator fins on the heatsink(s) and airways inside it. Similar story: some years ago my kids were having trouble playing thier Harry Potter games on the family laptop while we were visiting my in-laws. The problem was 1) they were playing on the carpeted floor, so not good airflow to the machine, and 2) there was a serious infestation of dust and cat hair inside the thing. Once cleaned out, it went back to running just fine.

Finally, even on my newer (and cleaner) laptop, the air blowing out is definitely much warmer when playing this game than doing less taxing stuff. So be sure you take necessary steps to keep your laptop cool. I haven't had to, but you may even want to consider buying a "laptop cooler" - basically a tray that sits under your laptop that has fans to blow air onto the bottom of your laptop, so it gets more, cooler air and doesn't run as hot.

11.20.2012 , 08:29 PM | #5
Yes I'm playing via bootcamp.

The macbook air is brand new and I already have it on a laptop cooler with USB powered fans. I just think that the CPU has to do too much work as there is no discrete GPU and with the air there is minimal air flow anyway as its so thin.

I wil turn graphivs down see if it helps the temp. The Intel HD4000 is capable of running this on high though.