Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Writer's Rant Thread

bright_ephemera
11.07.2012 , 08:29 AM | #111
This isn't about the artistic/creative part, but ARGH. I spent three hours last night pulling together/merging scattered story elements into one master file that had neatly organized "published" and "unpublished" sections along with extensive but organized notes. I deleted the old scrap files - deleted them off a mobile drive, so there isn't a recycle bin saving them.

Turns out I deleted the shiny new master file, too. The one I saved turns out to have been one of the hellish intermediate jumbles. I discarded about an hour and a half of careful sorting, copying, labeling, and editing.

I could scream.

It would be useful/desirable to repeat this process - sans moronic deletion errors - for my other seven major continuities/timelines, but I'm really not feeling it right now.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

iamthehoyden
11.19.2012 , 04:17 PM | #112
/slumps into her chair
I admit it. I suck at plots. Why can't all writing be witty banter and character interaction? It's so much easier!!
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Tatile
11.19.2012 , 04:22 PM | #113
Spoiler

Why does it suck D: Why does it always suck?

thatghost
12.01.2012 , 12:24 PM | #114
Dear Muse,

Thanks for taking up residence in my head again after going on vacation for the better part of the past seven months, even if you didn't bring me back any of the cute little umbrellas from your drinks. Yeah, don't try to deny it, just admit that you were drowning yourself in umbrella drinks, ogling pool boys and scrunching nice clean scrunchy sand between your toes while my brain was turning to mush from lack of inspiration.

Now that you're back, can we try to keep sane hours? 'Sane' being relative, of course. Nine pm is 'sane'. Three-thirty am is not. And about your still, after all these years, refusing to help me out with any sort of linear plot for anything I write- it's cruel. You're up to your same old trick of taking control of my fingers and typing out whatever you damned well please, leaving me to clutch my head in despair during every next-day reread. Linear plot, please, or I call in an exorcist.

Er. I might have been too harsh there with the exorcist thing...please don't take my complaints too seriously and do another runner, muse. For the most part I'm glad that you're back. I'm pretty miserable when you're absent. I'd just like us to coexist and coordinate at a higher level than we have in the past. Can we do that? Even though I don't share your enthusiasm for drinks the color of fabric softener?

Sincerely,
Me

(p.s.- that fanfic penned earlier this year and still extant on a certain site, unedited despite my seismic shift in head canon? stop pestering me for a rewrite; I'm not lying when I say I've forgotten my password)

(p.p.s.- bet every single one of those pool boys looked like Quinn, didn't they? hussy)

Caernos
12.12.2012 , 01:41 PM | #115
Dear Current Story

From a distance, writing a piece that studies the Jedi and the way they approach the force and the way they work, is really cool. However, up close, you are a painful SOB to write about. I continually find that the point I am trying to get across is quite quickly shot down or torn apart by counter points.

And I'm the one coming up with them.

So if you would stop kindly punching holes in my philosophical concepts, perhaps I could actually get through chapter 1 and to the other chapters that also need a few revisions and work.

Sincerely
-Disgruntled Jedi philosopher

P.S. Of course, now I have another brainstorm. Time to go back and see if this will make it more clear.
Cynfor Cinderheart and the Cinderheart Legacy: The Ebon Hawk
The FanFic Works of Caernos:
Red Invitation, Parents,
Beskar Bonds and Cinder Hearts

bright_ephemera
12.16.2012 , 03:21 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Caernos View Post
Dear Current Story

From a distance, writing a piece that studies the Jedi and the way they approach the force and the way they work, is really cool. However, up close, you are a painful SOB to write about. I continually find that the point I am trying to get across is quite quickly shot down or torn apart by counter points.

And I'm the one coming up with them.

So if you would stop kindly punching holes in my philosophical concepts, perhaps I could actually get through chapter 1 and to the other chapters that also need a few revisions and work.

Sincerely
-Disgruntled Jedi philosopher

P.S. Of course, now I have another brainstorm. Time to go back and see if this will make it more clear.
Ahaha, I know the feeling, trying to deal with Jedi (and, for me, Sith) philosophy!

Dear brain,

It's really cute that you finally decided to focus on one storyline to the exclusion of all others for two weeks straight. Could it be one of the ones that people want to read? No? Gah!
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Syart
12.16.2012 , 05:24 PM | #117
Dear characters,

Please stop developing minds of your own. We have a map, you know where we're going. Stop trying to take scenic routes, pausing for picnics, and seeking out new worlds and new civilisations.

Sincerely,
Your author
Control, passion, diligence: these three principles shape your world.

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

Tatile
12.16.2012 , 05:30 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Syart View Post
Stop trying to take scenic routes, pausing for picnics, and seeking out new worlds and new civilisations.
But I saw a rabbit!

Magdalane
12.17.2012 , 09:58 AM | #119
With all of the confusion of the past month, I was hoping to be able to return to writing. Thought I'd turned a corner, had a handle on things, but nooooooooooo. What did I do? I had to go and fall in love on top of everything. Now, I'm having trouble writing a grocery list. I admitted my long time feelings, and now my muse has gone off with his, I can only presume. Hope they send a postcard, since I can still read-- at least, I can today.

Why is it that I can only write if I'm hurt or unhappy or just plain stuck in my life??? Please understand I'm so happy I think my heart will burst right out of my body, but my brain refuses to continue a story line, or even think about plot twists.

My head hurts. I'm going to lie down.
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

iamthehoyden
12.17.2012 , 11:38 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Magdalane View Post
With all of the confusion of the past month, I was hoping to be able to return to writing. Thought I'd turned a corner, had a handle on things, but nooooooooooo. What did I do? I had to go and fall in love on top of everything. Now, I'm having trouble writing a grocery list. I admitted my long time feelings, and now my muse has gone off with his, I can only presume. Hope they send a postcard, since I can still read-- at least, I can today.

Why is it that I can only write if I'm hurt or unhappy or just plain stuck in my life??? Please understand I'm so happy I think my heart will burst right out of my body, but my brain refuses to continue a story line, or even think about plot twists.

My head hurts. I'm going to lie down.
Congrats
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box