Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Uluain
11.17.2012 , 03:15 PM | #3131
I think it would have done a world of good to have let us know when we asked whether those former statements still hold true, actually, but at this point if the content really will be out with 1.6 I think it is too late to tell us anything about it.

That would have been nice back when people were wondering how to approach game content early on, and it would have been nice if when they promoted current romantic content they also gave us an update. But by now, we are so plainly at the back of the bus, the belated inclusion of this content so obviously tokenistic that I really don't think even adding it will really help.

What would help? An apology and an explanation, and seeing this taken beyond token inclusiveness with virtually invisible game content and expanding same-gender romance options to the NPC [Flirt] options as well. None of which I ever expect to hear a word of, which is sad. They could have done so much better than this.

Tatile
11.17.2012 , 03:27 PM | #3132
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
They could have done so much better than this.
And yet they refuse to admit there's even a problem. Bioware seem to be having a wonderful time of ignoring the issues this game has and pretending everything is fine. As for being on the back of the bus? I get the feeling the bus drove off without us as we were fishing around for change for a fiver.

As has been stated before, we are unlikely to hear anything on this topic until it's snuck into the game under cover of darkness and then, when the forums inevitably explode with "Oh my god! Gays! Noes!" Bioware will just say that the content has always been in the game, it's just you haven't noticed it until now.

Taa daa. It's the inclusive way.

natashina
11.17.2012 , 05:13 PM | #3133
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
And yet they refuse to admit there's even a problem. Bioware seem to be having a wonderful time of ignoring the issues this game has and pretending everything is fine. As for being on the back of the bus? I get the feeling the bus drove off without us as we were fishing around for change for a fiver.

As has been stated before, we are unlikely to hear anything on this topic until it's snuck into the game under cover of darkness and then, when the forums inevitably explode with "Oh my god! Gays! Noes!" Bioware will just say that the content has always been in the game, it's just you haven't noticed it until now.

Taa daa. It's the inclusive way.
It makes a horrifyingly amount of sense. Especially in light of that gamebiz article that we had to write in to get edited. As you pointed out, it would also justify the rare same sex flirts. I personally haven't run into any yet, although I did hear about Captain Zone's experience with a FTB on Tattoonine. This was with his lady Smuggler and another female NPC.

Those little obscure events I could see being used to support the notion that same gender content has always been in the game. Suuure, something so obscure that probably 99% of the playerbase doesn't know it exists totally counts as gamewide SGR content, right?

As my friends from across the pond would say, Bollocks.

I have a feeling that you're right. And for a lot of people, for and against, it'll be a "wait, what?" moment for them. This could get ugly and beyond the Chuck Norris jokes I heard in Korriban last night. So much for my mara alt until things settle some.

I really hope we are wrong on this one, but I honestly wouldn't put it past The Powers That Be.

Tatile
11.17.2012 , 05:35 PM | #3134
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

I really hope we are wrong on this one, but I honestly wouldn't put it past The Powers That Be.
Considering that Bioware don't seem to have "oops, sorry" in their vocabulary (have you heard about the poor sods on The Bastion?), I fully expect some blind-arse, revisionist inclusion of this content. Of course, it will be without retro-active activation, because it's your own fault for not waiting 13 months with no information to make an informed decision about your play.

natashina
11.18.2012 , 02:30 PM | #3135
All I know at this point is that I'm going to beta test 1.6. I'm going to try to get in as soon as it becomes open.

I know I'll get a ton of spoilers, but I'll try to share what I can. I know without any doubt whatsoever that there will be a serious NDA in place.

I'll least let you guys know if it's on par with the quality of the current romance in the game. Or even in Makeb. I think they are going to going to hide this until two minutes til midnight (aka the last second. Midnight = nuclear war. The closest the Cold War got to mutually assured destruction was two minutes to midnight.)

I've never beta tested in a game before, but this is very important to me. Time to put up or shut up EA/BW.

Frankly, I've gotten angry at the AAA gaming companies in general. They've seemed to cared about the bottom dollar not the quality of their product, or the customers themselves. Overall anyway; there are some good ones left out there.

Sadly, the ones I grew up are darned near unrecognizable, such as Square (FFXIV anyone) and Blizzard, with the slipshod quality of their products.

Too Big To Fail, anyone?

I don't want to see EA continue down that path (fat chance of it stopping, I know) and I certainly don't want them to take BW with them.

Tatile
11.18.2012 , 02:34 PM | #3136
All I know at this point is that I'm going to beta test 1.6. I'm going to try to get in as soon as it becomes open.

I know I'll get a ton of spoilers, but I'll try to share what I can. I know without any doubt whatsoever that there will be a serious NDA in place.
Share in a capacity that can in no way be linked back to you?

Also, beta test? As in pre-PTS release?

natashina
11.18.2012 , 02:58 PM | #3137
Share in a capacity that can in no way be linked back to you?

Also, beta test? As in pre-PTS release?
More like I'll try say if the writing is as good as OGRs (once they okay sharing the info that SGRs are in that patch) and leave it at that.

Anything else, I'd be risking a perma-ban, which I certainly don't want. If there is a really serious NDA in effect, I'll do what I can to inform you guys, and it probably won't be much. I hope I can at least share that it'll be in that patch. To say this thread/this community is owed this even this crumb of info is a huge understatement.

Beta was a poor choice of a word Mea Culpa. I meant more once it hits the PTS.

Tatile
11.18.2012 , 03:23 PM | #3138

Anything else, I'd be risking a perma-ban, which I certainly don't want.
I don't want to see you get perma-banned, but I do agree with sharing information (I'd break the NDA personally and now Bioware won't let me play on the PTS Not like they read this thread anyway*.) However, I will add that I don't think this is something that Bioware can really keep under wraps if/when it does hit the PTS. The uproar of rainbows and people going "waah! Gay through the back door!" would be too great to stifle.

*Of course, breaking the NDA in this thread would be the one time they actually read it

Palar
11.18.2012 , 04:41 PM | #3139
I don't want to see you get perma-banned, but I do agree with sharing information (I'd break the NDA personally and now Bioware won't let me play on the PTS Not like they read this thread anyway*.) However, I will add that I don't think this is something that Bioware can really keep under wraps if/when it does hit the PTS. The uproar of rainbows and people going "waah! Gay through the back door!" would be too great to stifle.

*Of course, breaking the NDA in this thread would be the one time they actually read it
... I can already hear the idiots repeating that exact phrasing, while they marvel at the "brilliant humour" ot their double entendre.

Just once, I'd like to hear some information - unfortunately, Punxsutawney Joveth saw his shadow again and we get six more weeks of wilful ignorance.

ChristieZhivkova
11.18.2012 , 05:58 PM | #3140
I would like to know, have they made this option available? I mean same gender romance? Because I can't find it anywhere and there is no certain way to check it either...