Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

Aurbere
11.18.2012 , 10:38 AM | #1
Since I have already given a historical overview of Revan in the first thread of this series, I thought I would dedicate this thread to clearing up those nasty little misconceptions surrounding him. I am so going to get flamed for this, but who cares? Let's get to it.

Mastered both sides of the Force? No. What we have here is people jumping to conclusions. Revan did not master either side of the Force. He did not master any abilities. He did not master any Lightsaber Forms. He was a proficient user in many various abilities, but not a master. Revan could not comprehend how to master either side of the Force, because he could not master himself.

Tactical Genius? No. Another misconception. Revan was not a tactical genius. During the Mandalorian Wars, he used the Mandalorian tactics and superior Jedi numbers to gain victory. During the Jedi Civil War, he had Admiral Saul Karath and several other Republic officials that knew Republic tactics. Revan created tactics with Admiral Karath to counter everything the Republic would do against them. That does not make him a tactical genius. If it did, Thrawn would be a tactical god. Which he is, but a greater one going by that standard.

Used both sides of the Force simultaneously? Not only is that impossible by G-canon, but it is also impossible physically, mentally, and in the Force. And no, Revan is not a special case (an argument I heard recently... you know who you are). It is impossible to use both sides simultaneously, not just because of G-canon, but also because of the toll it would take on the body, mind and spirit. It's been tried before, with disastrous results. What we have here is Revan entering a brief moment of Oneness with the Force. A moment in which Revan was enveloped into the Force and unleashed its full power. But first time readers of that novel (what passes for a novel) will never know that because of the wording, in combination with a lack of knowledge in canon and the Force, casual readers will take it as they see it.

I'm sure I missed some, so any of you that actually know Revan can add to it. So going to get flamed for this.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Rayla_Felana
11.18.2012 , 10:43 AM | #2
Breath of fresh air, is what this thread is.

Bird_of_Thunder
11.18.2012 , 11:06 AM | #3
finally, someone who doesnt think Revan is a both-side Force God
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

Beniboybling
11.18.2012 , 11:41 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Tactical Genius? No. Another misconception. Revan was not a tactical genius. During the Mandalorian Wars, he used the Mandalorian tactics and superior Jedi numbers to gain victory. During the Jedi Civil War, he had Admiral Saul Karath and several other Republic officials that knew Republic tactics. Revan created tactics with Admiral Karath to counter everything the Republic would do against them. That does not make him a tactical genius. If it did, Thrawn would be a tactical god. Which he is, but a greater one going by that standard.
Really? I though he was quite the battlemaster He did win the Mandalorian Wars after all.

Quote:
xUsed both sides of the Force simultaneously? Not only is that impossible by G-canon, but it is also impossible physically, mentally, and in the Force. And no, Revan is not a special case (an argument I heard recently... you know who you are). It is impossible to use both sides simultaneously, not just because of G-canon, but also because of the toll it would take on the body, mind and spirit. It's been tried before, with disastrous results. What we have here is Revan entering a brief moment of Oneness with the Force. A moment in which Revan was enveloped into the Force and unleashed its full power.
Interesting, didn't know that. When has it been tried before?

Airmo
11.18.2012 , 01:42 PM | #5
Ugh.. great another Revan thread fanboi's and haters will gather too.
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."

Aurbere
11.18.2012 , 02:05 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Really? I though he was quite the battlemaster He did win the Mandalorian Wars after all.

Interesting, didn't know that. When has it been tried before?
He did win the Mandalorian Wars, but he did not create a super epic tactic that completely outwitted the Mando's. He did exactly what they did, he pushed the entire Republic military into Mandalorian territory through aggression. He sacrificed worlds to take others.

I forget the guys name, but I do remember him being torn apart in attempting to use both sides. Not like that specific issue is important. What is important is that it is impossible in every way.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Airmo
11.18.2012 , 02:11 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
He did win the Mandalorian Wars, but he did not create a super epic tactic that completely outwitted the Mando's. He did exactly what they did, he pushed the entire Republic military into Mandalorian territory through aggression. He sacrificed worlds to take others.
He outwitted them with the Mando's own tactics, sounds like something a skilled tactitian would do.
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."

BlznSmri
11.18.2012 , 02:16 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Airmo View Post
He outwitted them with the Mando's own tactics, sounds like something a skilled tactitian would do.
I wouldn't say he out witted them, I'd say he used their same tactics with superior numbers and firepower.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 03:20 PM | #9
Both Mandolore and Canderous Ordo (soon to be Mandolore) praised Revan's tactics. Take it however you want but it's truth and I believe it means that Revan is a great tactician.

As for the oneness of the force thing - the novel never says that. This means that you are speculating. Does it seem like he was one with the force? Maybe, but the book never says that he was one with the force so you can't assume this.

But you're right about using two sides of the force. No arguments there.

We could go into Revan's dueling skills, force powers, and other stuff, but you didn't mention that in the original post - so I'll stay on topic.

Crawelc
11.18.2012 , 03:33 PM | #10
Non flame question, every time I have played a grey jedi in a game I have walked the line of using both sides of the force. This game also makes it possible to be grey in affiliation, allthough poorly implemented, so does that just not fit into cannon at all?
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest>
All Imprimis All the time.