Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Some Ideas to increase the skillcap of sorcs and address pvp concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Inquisitor > Sorcerer
Some Ideas to increase the skillcap of sorcs and address pvp concerns

AdmiralParmesan
10.01.2012 , 12:13 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Tyrias View Post
Personally, my biggest issue is that many things just don't synergise all that well in any of the trees, compared to other classes.

You look at Madness, and you think. "Ok, so this is a DoT based spec, with pretty slow, minor-damage DoTs". I'm left thinking:
  • It's a DPS spec, so why don't I have an execute?
  • DoT builds require a lot of setup time, so where is my burst skill to monopolise on the number of DoTs I have running?
  • DoT builds are designated Kiters, so why is it's fallback damage dealing ability a spammable channeled skill?
  • Why is the healing from Deathfield (and Devour) STILL broken?

My other major gripe, is the lack of flow in skill use. Consumption should be off the GCD (in line with other classes resource management abilities). Unatural Preservation should be off the GCD (In line with other classes DCDs... (because that's what it seems to be)). As a more general points, tank-capable classes that play as DPS get to use their off-spec abilities (taunts) without impacting on their main-spec performance, because they're off the GCD. What do heal-capable DPS specs get that they can do without impacting upon their main-spec performance.... oh yeah, nothing.
Couldn't agree more

Digimanbyte_ID
10.06.2012 , 12:08 AM | #12
I could see a defensive CD being mixed with cloud mind. Would be nice to have you vanish from players unless you attack.

AdmiralParmesan
10.07.2012 , 04:28 PM | #13
That is a very cool idea. Having a purpose for our aggro reducing ability like operatives/snipers would be really cool.

veyl
10.08.2012 , 01:00 PM | #14
Cloud mind reducing damage incoming from a specific target reminds me a lot of detaunt from Rift (I think that's what it was). It was a CD that reduced 50% damage from a specific target for 15 seconds. It really is a good idea. It's on a long enough CD that it couldn't be abused and it would be just enough of a defensive CD against all of those extremely burst heavy classes.

The only problem with this that I see is if a healer is using it against someone against them and they have guard.. Only receiving 25% damage from one target would be pretty insane. At least sorc healers would be even more viable!

The defensive CD is the ONE thing that the vast majority of sorcs have been screaming for since launch (for pvp). The self heal is a joke against war hero opponents whose BASIC attacks do the amount of damage that a non crit heals for. (As a DPS build anyway, the self heal is at least buffed from the healing trees talents)

Ariak-
10.11.2012 , 05:09 PM | #15
Regardless of how and if they change the class around, a few things are very clear:

- DPS sorcs lack burst damage
-Have inflated scores due to spreading of dots
-Lack survivability
-Have inflated kill counts due to spreading of dots
-Are not a viable spec for RWZs

Bioware is aware of many of these issues, don't let them fool you. However, I am uncertain why they have yet to address them.

It's really frustrating...

I always thought the following:

Light armor = tons of damage, low survivability(not the current survivability if you are targeted by a determined mara,PT, you are dead)
Medium = moderate surv. and mod. damage
etc. etc.

You get the picture. My only question is why are we handicapped? @bioware
Ariak / Ultima Online - Baja - 7X Precast Hally Mage
Ariak / Dark Ages of Camelot - Igraine - Ranger
Ariak / SW:TOR - Prophecy of the Five - Lvl 55 PT hybrid
Rayste / SW:TOR - Prophecy of the Five - Lvl 55 Jug

lokdron
11.17.2012 , 10:55 PM | #16
One thing I am surprised about is that we don't even have an execute ability lol.
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

MidichIorian
11.17.2012 , 11:37 PM | #17
I'm generally against defensive abilties for sorcs/sages but a passive one I'd accept. Not if it cuts back on something els though because a DCD is probably thre last thing on my wishlist.

AdmiralParmesan
11.18.2012 , 05:12 AM | #18
Honestly I think anything would be a good start. The thing is I can't imagine them ever giving us even the quality of burst other classes have. But the thing is we would need better burst than the other classes to even compete if we don't have a defensive cooldown. This is not to mention how terrible our damage is under pressure (being forced to kite). Sorc damage does need to go up, but the defensive options of a sorc need to be evaluated as well.

Having useful options and tools is the most important part of any competitive environment. Sorcs are limited in pvp not only due to low burst cap, but also becuase the base capabilities of the sorc are limited.

Chemic_al
11.18.2012 , 06:32 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by MidichIorian View Post
I'm generally against defensive abilties for sorcs/sages but a passive one I'd accept. Not if it cuts back on something els though because a DCD is probably thre last thing on my wishlist.
Well, in that case we should be the highest DPS class, and we are the worst.

Levelling up a pyro spec pyrotech showed me that. That's a proper dps class, pure and simple. Might even say it's a bit boring, just button mash and you get good results, maybe, but it's sustained burst is unquestionable, and it has a dot that actually hurts.

It's quite clear Bioware have this fallacious notion that a dps class that has a heal tree, operative, merc and sorc, should have crappy dps to compensate. Until the brain boxes get it into their head that self-healing when dps specced is "last resort" territory and generally not done, nothing will ever change.

AdmiralParmesan
11.23.2012 , 12:00 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Chemic_al View Post
Well, in that case we should be the highest DPS class, and we are the worst.

Levelling up a pyro spec pyrotech showed me that. That's a proper dps class, pure and simple. Might even say it's a bit boring, just button mash and you get good results, maybe, but it's sustained burst is unquestionable, and it has a dot that actually hurts.

It's quite clear Bioware have this fallacious notion that a dps class that has a heal tree, operative, merc and sorc, should have crappy dps to compensate. Until the brain boxes get it into their head that self-healing when dps specced is "last resort" territory and generally not done, nothing will ever change.
Yep this is on spot with the problem. When you consider the wide variety of tools the pure dps classes have compared to the dps classes witha heal tree it is sad. I'm not sure if they ever even plan to address these problems. Its not to even mention that specs like full madness don't even have the force regen abilities to justify healing in combat. Healing will run you out of force and you have no real mechanic to get force back other than consumption........which takes away the health you just healed.