Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why I hate 70% of Sith Players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community > Roleplaying
Why I hate 70% of Sith Players

wleighton
10.25.2012 , 12:49 PM | #41
I have never, and will never understand players that act as though they should be known on site and recognized for their floating title or extensive medals. When I, in character, walk toward another player, in character, I do not see the title, name or achivements, I see what their is wearing, what their race is and so on, all visual ques. If I haven't spoken to them, in character, enough to know or remember their name in character then I act as such. In the game's FPs and OPs a lot of the top tier Darth whatevers and General whatevers do not stand out any more then a player. They make themselves known by saying who they are and expect respect based on that. If I am playing an Agent and I see a Sith Pureblood I will bow, cos that is custom, I will My Lord them, same reason, I will not call them Darth Twinkletoes cos I can see their name unless they tell me their rank and name in character. Otherwise they are just another random Pureblood or person in a cape, dress, or uniform to walk by and not care about at all.

For example:
Announcement: I am a professional artist and I draw comics.

I go to a comic store every Friday to play "nerd" board games (Archam Horror, Last Night on Earth, Munchkin, Flux, more...) and I do not expect the people there to know what I do or who I am, I do not extect them to give me more attention based on my "nerd credentials". I am just another someone playing a game with them and unless I make some announcement how are they to know who I am or what I do? There isn't a floating title and I'm not wearing a sign.

Same goes for Role Playing, how is my character supposed to know you're the next in line for the Emperor's chair or that you're the most dangerous Smuggler in the galaxy if I do not either hear about your deeds from other players, or you tell me so? From that announcement my character may also believe or not believe your character based on how you conduct yourself from then on.
"Sleep my friend and you will see dream is my reality" - James Hetfeild.

www.nobodythere.ca
Commissions start at $50.00!

JekRendar
11.02.2012 , 07:11 PM | #42
I'm curious to know what server the OP is on. I saw that rarely on Lord Adraas and The Ebon Hawk, but the key is to stay away from cantinas. The Fleet cantinas are Eisley 2.0. Otherwise, I generally agree with the OP.

Also, racism doesn't exist in the Star Wars Universe. Speciesism, however, does. Also, the word the OP is looking for is Canon.
Star Wars Galaxies (Starsider): June 27, 2003 - December 15, 2011

TriggerBlade
11.05.2012 , 12:15 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by JekRendar View Post
I'm curious to know what server the OP is on.
Since you were nice about it I'll break my rule just once. I said in the OP it's on Ebon Hawk.

NastyButler
11.05.2012 , 02:16 PM | #44
I've met very few good, as in quality, Sith players. Very good bounty hunters and Imperial Agents. Very bad Sith players. It's one of the reason I have a low opinion of Imperial RP. And the good ones that were their left the game sadly. Now this is across two servers also.

Now, when the Sith player actually works WITH the other players on the server and earns the respect OOC for the community. They are often held in very high regards. But just coming into an area and saying "I are Darth Daevel and you will all serve me." Does not go over very well.

BrianDavion
11.05.2012 , 02:21 PM | #45
On the respect all Sith bit, I'm going to note on an IC level a Sith, even a lowly apprentice, has every right to expect you to treat him with respect within the empire. this is the SITH EMPIRE. the Sith rule. you might not like sith, but from an IC POV you should show a degree of respect. the empire is not a land of equals after all.

that said, Sith roleplayers need to reckongize this, and not abuse this.

Darth_Vicente
11.05.2012 , 02:52 PM | #46
Huh, I thought I responded to this thread, but sifting through, I wasn't able to find my post, so I'll repeat what I intended to say:

I can definitely see where the OP is coming from, but I'd like to present the flip side of the argument.

As an Sith RP'er, I come across an inordinate amount of characters, saying TO THE FACE OF A SITH, that they do not care what the Sith have to say, that the Sith are stupid, etc. Now, it is perfectly valid for a character, or even a player, to have these opinions, and to share them with close, like-minded people. But the sheer number of characters who will brazenly insult the Force users with the reputation of being the most violent and unforgiving people in the Galaxy to their face --- then refuse to acknowledge that this would come with consequences --- drives me up a wall.

That said, there are faults on both sides, but when the proper balance is achieved on both sides, the RP runs great.
Grand Lord of The Sovereign Aeons Server: Ebon Hawk
The Kinslayer Legacy
Darth Nšeblis | Darth Lanfear| Lord Ra'hvin| Cipher Agent Aludra| Ziare, Imperial Loyalist|Apprentice Telv'isa'sdra|Apprentice Gwynofar|Master Lews-Therin

CosmicKat
11.06.2012 , 12:20 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Vicente View Post
Huh, I thought I responded to this thread, but sifting through, I wasn't able to find my post, so I'll repeat what I intended to say:

I can definitely see where the OP is coming from, but I'd like to present the flip side of the argument.

As an Sith RP'er, I come across an inordinate amount of characters, saying TO THE FACE OF A SITH, that they do not care what the Sith have to say, that the Sith are stupid, etc. Now, it is perfectly valid for a character, or even a player, to have these opinions, and to share them with close, like-minded people. But the sheer number of characters who will brazenly insult the Force users with the reputation of being the most violent and unforgiving people in the Galaxy to their face --- then refuse to acknowledge that this would come with consequences --- drives me up a wall.

That said, there are faults on both sides, but when the proper balance is achieved on both sides, the RP runs great.
The lore of the Sith does not work in any real world, even a game one. It's silly and cartoonish and doesn't stand up to logic.

Any organization that thrives on promotion by murder will consume itself rapidly. Darth Bob kills Darth Jane, now Darth Bob is weak, so Darth Suzy kills him, and so on and so on... It can only exist in a short-form medium such as a movie or tv show. The alternate-reality Evil Star Trek universe has the same issue. It just does not work on any logical level in a continuing medium like RP in a persitent game world. To play it in an ongoing world, it has to be played differently from the lore or it will fall apart.

JekRendar
11.12.2012 , 02:24 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by TriggerBlade View Post
Since you were nice about it I'll break my rule just once. I said in the OP it's on Ebon Hawk.
Psst. You might want to reread your OP then - because you didn't mention the server.
Star Wars Galaxies (Starsider): June 27, 2003 - December 15, 2011

Taareth
11.17.2012 , 04:14 PM | #49
Here is a universal tip for great RP.

The more someone gives you in RP the more you give them. - That is if they give you some hits in a spar, make sure to keep it interesting and rp giving them an advantage too, so the the scene, thread, chat or whatever plays out with some tension and intensity. If they stumble so you can hear them coming, play out them having an advantage later etc.

If they seem overpowered, god mod, bunny whatever you want to call it. Don't give them very much at all, they can be drunk, mad, delusional in your character's eyes and the scene can STILL be fun. I have had a blast holding character with people all in caps, or breaking OOC - IC before, just depends if you can roll with it.

Imperials have hated aliens for as long as i can remember, if I RP an imperial human agent you can be that isn't going to change. Are there other ways of playing an imperial agent you bet, just not how I RP them. As for Sith its my experience Rawr Smash gets old very fast in rp boards or communities, and the writer or player burns out. You need a lot more too them to keep them interesting for the rp'er and others.

Couver
11.17.2012 , 04:26 PM | #50
This is why I hate 70% of RPers.