Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Solo class for playing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Best Solo class for playing?

Alucardmai
11.17.2012 , 08:00 AM | #1
Hi All

Just new to game, so looking for some help from experienced players.

1st thing I know this is an MMORPG bur for the moment I am treating the game a little like KOTOR 3, I just want to play the story and level to 50 for my first Char solo.

I know that some missions will involve taking on Elites and Champions so looking for a class that can handles these types of Mobs.

As for side, no real debate Good or Dark, at the moment either is fine, as for class well I do like lightsabers but if one of the other classes are suited better for a first solo class then by all means please suggest.

Cheers

Dj

ZoeTuah
11.17.2012 , 08:18 AM | #2
Personally I think the Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin is a great choice, particularly in tank spec. They do the highest damage of any tank, great survival, and get a healing companion early on. (True for Shadow, don't know about Assassin). This makes them very hardy.

They also have stealth, making it easy to avoid trash you don't want to fight. However, these things combined could potentially make you too lazy to finish up your quests and leave you below average level for the content you're doing.

DallianWyrd
11.17.2012 , 08:22 AM | #3
Honnestly play whatever you want, with the companion system you can always have a healer/tank/dps to assist you.
But I have to say that the earlier you have your healer, the better for soloing.

Bounty Hunter gets Mako, a healer, first. Then comes the Trooper on Taris, and the Sith Warrior on Balmorra. Then you have the Consular on Nar Shaadda. Then you have the JKnight on Balmorra and the IAgent on Taris and Finally you have the Sorcerer and the Smuggler on Hoth.

Or, if you count your droid C2N2 or 2VR8 as healer (which you can) you will have them on your ship.
Almost all of them except Elara Dorne have Cunning as their primary stats, Dorne is better off with Aim, like the 2 droids.

So in the end, pick whatever you want. You cannot choose wrongly. And by the way, Welcome to the game!
Account created in 2008, Proud CE owner, Link to my Twitter and Twitch.tv
Présentation de la Falcon Squadron (PVE/PVP)
The Kore Legacy on DN.
Dallian,Xepher

Ryat
11.17.2012 , 08:35 AM | #4
Just avoid doing anything with the {Heroic} in its title and you can solo the whole way through with anything. I started out with Jedi Sentinel myself and never needed help.

Draloch
11.17.2012 , 11:07 PM | #5
Being able to heal your companion while they do the killing makes the tough fights pretty easy even if you're not a great MMORPG player.

I'd recommend making a consular and then choosing the Sage advanced class when you get to the fleet station. You get a light saber and the ability to heal your companion while they fight for you.

SleepyKing
11.18.2012 , 04:11 AM | #6
There really is no "best" class. In terms of gameplay, they're all pretty balanced, and with the companion system you can always bring along someone who complements your class choice.

The big difference is in terms of story. If you were looking for KOTOR3, I would suggest the Jedi Knight, since that class has (probably) the most important plotline of all the classes. (That doesn't make the other plots bad, however, but if you're here for the most important story in terms of Star Wars canon, the Jedi Knight seems to be the winner).

Alucardmai
11.18.2012 , 06:46 AM | #7
Hi All

Thanks for the replies, currently leveling a Jedi Consulor at the moment, although I really cant get any enjoyment from this game. Maybe I am playing on the wrong server but I only have a choice of 3 English european servers (playing on the PvE one). I am in the starter zone which is completly mobbed, there seems to be groups of russians just going around stomping on anything that moves and chat is barley english at the moment. The only time the game is slightly bareable is when I am in my own Story instance.

Now yes I know this is an MMORPG so there will be lots of players but didnt expect to be constantly fighting for scraps with these roaming squads of players killing everything in sight. I am hoping this is just short term unitl the free to play bug wears off. Anyone else having issues like this or have I just started playing the game at a bad time?

Cheers

Dj

Draloch
11.18.2012 , 08:03 AM | #8
It sounds like a first week free to play problem to me. Probably a bunch of people trying to level up so they can farm gold and sell it. I'd say work to get off your starter planet and I bet alot of the problems go away. The starter planets are much much smaller than all the rest.

What you're describing isn't anything I've seen in the game and I've leveled 6 characters and been playing since the game launched.

Even with these new type of players, I bet things will spread out significantly once you get to coruscant (2nd planet), and definitely by the time you get to taris (3rd planet). The game is huge, so give it a chance beyond just the starter planet.

Cyberwoman
11.18.2012 , 12:11 PM | #9
I do not think I have played a class yet which is not good at soloing, although sometimes it will depend on the companions. My personal favorite is my Sith Assassin, especially once you get a healer.

Kerensk
11.18.2012 , 02:29 PM | #10
Things are much less crowded after the starter planet. Also if you look in the lower right of the map screen you can see multiple instances of the planet when they reach a set size. Sometimes you can transfer to a lower population instance that isn't at max capacity.
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
“It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it. ”