Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

November 15th isnt just F2P day but the day that changed SWG forever

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
November 15th isnt just F2P day but the day that changed SWG forever

JekRendar
11.16.2012 , 08:12 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
The confirmed max of subs is 350,000 for SWG.

90% of MMOs out Today have twice that and up.
Bzzt. Wrong. The 350,000 was a rumored peak. They did, however, sell more than two million copies.

Anyways, it is ironic that 11/15 marked the downfall of one Star Wars MMO and possibly the downfall of another.
Star Wars Galaxies (Starsider): June 27, 2003 - December 15, 2011

AMKSED
11.16.2012 , 06:08 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by JekRendar View Post
Bzzt. Wrong. The 350,000 was a rumored peak. They did, however, sell more than two million copies.

Anyways, it is ironic that 11/15 marked the downfall of one Star Wars MMO and possibly the downfall of another.
350,000 was confirmed by a developer. And they sold 2 million copies like 1 year before the game was even shut down. And that doesn't mean jack because I knew that I purchased nearly 6-10 copies of that game.

The more accounts I had to AFK with the richer I became in-game.

Kilikaa
11.16.2012 , 06:37 PM | #23
I will say it again. SWG was not a failed game. It lasted EIGHT years. Failed MMOs tend to die in less than half that time. The original game, the CU version and the NGE all had their problems. My six years were all spent in the NGE. The last two years of Galaxies were better than Warcraft at any point of it's life. SWG haters can say whatever they want, but to me and many others, Galaxies was a good game that we all had fun playing. It was certainly better than that steaming pile of crap Warcraft.

Every MMO will eventually be shutdown. TOR was a big reason LA decided not to renew the license with SOE. Now all future Star Wars games are going to be made by LA itself. People can call SWG a failed game or, like me, they can say it wasn't. It doesn't matter since it is all based on opinion. My opinion is that SWG was a good game with problems, TOR is a good game that is still growing and Warcraft is a piece of crap that needs to grow up and become a real game.

We will always remember games we had fun playing and games we hated. We should never forget the good times. But I agree that people need to stop bringing up the day the NGE went live. Especially in other game forums. It has no place here.

AMKSED
11.16.2012 , 06:47 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
I will say it again. SWG was not a failed game. It lasted EIGHT years. Failed MMOs tend to die in less than half that time. The original game, the CU version and the NGE all had their problems. My six years were all spent in the NGE. The last two years of Galaxies were better than Warcraft at any point of it's life. SWG haters can say whatever they want, but to me and many others, Galaxies was a good game that we all had fun playing. It was certainly better than that steaming pile of crap Warcraft.

Every MMO will eventually be shutdown. TOR was a big reason LA decided not to renew the license with SOE. Now all future Star Wars games are going to be made by LA itself. People can call SWG a failed game or, like me, they can say it wasn't. It doesn't matter since it is all based on opinion. My opinion is that SWG was a good game with problems, TOR is a good game that is still growing and Warcraft is a piece of crap that needs to grow up and become a real game.

We will always remember games we had fun playing and games we hated. We should never forget the good times. But I agree that people need to stop bringing up the day the NGE went live. Especially in other game forums. It has no place here.
It was licensed to run..

Crawelc
11.16.2012 , 11:48 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by AMKSED View Post
If it was a good game and lived up to what everyone thought it was going to be then SWTOR never would have been a though.
/thread
/thread again
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest>
All Imprimis All the time.

TalkingDinosaur
11.16.2012 , 11:55 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
Considering the game lasted eight years and only closed because LA would not renew the license with SOE, SWG wasn't a failure.
Bout sums up my reaction.

Here's some reality for you.
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

Scerge
11.17.2012 , 10:52 AM | #27
SWG hit a peak once and never recovered.

Also lol at warhammer.

They hit a peak and then wotlk hit and it all went downhill like a tonne of bricks.
Battlebug
Quote:
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
13-12-11 7 Day Early Access Squadron.

Malefik
11.17.2012 , 01:43 PM | #28
I played SWG from the second day until it ended. (off and on after NGE). I have to say most of the time even before NGE my time was spent playing JTL. When ppl talk about SWG they remember all the good times they had with there in-game friends and not the bad things about the game. Rose color glasses are great for looking back. I play the emu from time to time for old times sake. Tap nest, kill spawn, tap nest again kill spawn, tap nest no spawn kill nest get xp. Not really fun. SWG was about playing with other ppl. When NGE hit a lot of ppl left and you found ppl that were in game enemies form the start questing together in groups to do the story line. For the Vets it was a fitting end to our SWG saga.. we found peace. For us it ended before the Resstes<--spelled wrong) thing. The memories are way better than the game was.
BLESSED DARKNESS
~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~
~~x~~x~~> May the Dark Light shine! <~~x~~x~~

Serving the Dark Side since 1999

jarjarloves
11.17.2012 , 02:31 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by JekRendar View Post

not 2 million copies they had 2 million accounts. They counted everyone who bought a Sony Station pass that allowed them to play all of Sonys MMOs.

It never even came close to actually selling 1 million copies.

Sutirem
11.17.2012 , 02:31 PM | #30
I really appreciate F2P option in SW:TOR.
I love Star Wars series, games, cartoons and everything that is releated to it.

The Free To Play option will bring whole new experience to the game.
I never liked to P2P in games, it's really annoying. You have bought the game and you still have to pay to play it which is really annoying.