Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming issue

Foozle
01.23.2012 , 02:32 PM | #1
I've seen quite a few players with apostrophes in their names but when I tried to create a character with one in the name I received a message that I had an invalid character/name. How is it that some people have a ' but others have troubles with it? Someone in my guild said that those people might have created their names early on and said that the ' is against the naming policy. I'm confused.....

Qelceda
01.23.2012 , 02:42 PM | #2
It's quite possible that the apostrophe was not was what made your name invalid. There are some things that I think are not allowed due to Lore or that the name is in use by an NPC. I could not use "Winter" (is a char in the first Zahn trilogy) however I've seen Boba (who then used Fett as a legacy title be be Boba Fett) which is a FAR more known name and I am stunned that the player was able to enter that.

LeeAnnimal
01.23.2012 , 02:56 PM | #3
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe there are 2 messages stating you can't use certain names; 1st is the "invalid name" message and the 2nd, I believe, says that another player is using the name. This to me means what Qelceda said above about lore names being the "invalid name" choice is do to lore or possible npcs in the game having that name or something similar.

But, getting back to your question about the apostrophe, you can still use them in names as I've made an alt in the past week with an apostrophe in the name. I hope someone has a better answer for you though!

CTSJR
01.27.2012 , 03:14 PM | #4
I'm able to use the apostrophe, but have been denied the use of a second upper case letter("invalid name"), yet, I've seen other players with any combination of upper/lower case, spaces and apostrophes. Are there regional (country) differences with what is allowed?

ayoumans
01.27.2012 , 03:23 PM | #5
I am pretty sure you aren't allowed spaces. As far as the upper case letters, I would assume they are from the legacy name

Owsley
01.27.2012 , 03:33 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ayoumans View Post
I am pretty sure you aren't allowed spaces. As far as the upper case letters, I would assume they are from the legacy name
Legacy names have the same restriction as character names. No matter how you enter it, only the first letter is capitalized. CamelCase is not recognized. No spaces, numerals, or special characters other than - or '

ayoumans
01.27.2012 , 03:40 PM | #7
Yea, that's what I was expecting

MandalorianXX
11.16.2012 , 08:33 PM | #8
If Fett is a lore name how are people still using it?

Grihm
11.17.2012 , 02:32 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MandalorianXX View Post

Fett is a Lorename. Cannot use it just as you cannot use Vader, Kenobi etc.
People still try though, and succeed a few days now and then, but actual Lorenames should and are being reported as soon as they are noticed.

BluegrassGeek
11.17.2012 , 05:24 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MandalorianXX View Post
Most likely they're using an old trick of putting ALT Code characters to bypass the naming rules. So, if you hold down the ALT key on your keyboard and type the number 0232 you get this character:

Which means people can pull stuff like naming themselves Ftt, or Skwalker or Sl. The system that catches names like "Fett" won't be looking for "Ftt," so they get by with it until someone reports them.

Edit: Almost forgot my favorite. You can put a space into a name using ALT-255. It's a different character from the normal spacebar, so it slips through most of these systems.

I do not recommend using any of these. Violating the naming rules can get you banned!