Too many people, not enough servers

Baconis

i played this game at launch, ran reasonably well at around 50-70% full power.

picked up the game again the week before halo 4 came out. Still Ran Fine. (Had to avoid the fleet, too many people bogged down my game)

but now...(Since F2P, or at least the clusterF**** to find the HK droid parts) The game has become virtually unplayable! i can't go 3 feet without lagging 30 yards. (I've fallen off more then a few ledges to this, including the chasm beneath the fleet)

The funny thing is in World of warcraft i can have 250 people with in 60 yards of me and not lag at all. But swtor. Put 30 in close proximity, and the game falls apart.

Bioware should look into a way to improve game performance (how smooth it runs) without compromising graphic quality. (if thats even possible)

I know its a crazy huge game, but i still love it. :)

They added a feature/option just for this problem (around 1.2 I think?). If running around high population areas is your major problem set the 'visible character limit' option lower. This solves 90% of the problems you just described.

Hope that helps!

also make sure your graphics drivers are up to date and you might want to turn off the new shadows they added.

All I can say is I play this both on a laptop and a desktop and my performance has only improved since launch.

Well that is a downright lie.

ON very low settings I cannot play a pvp match without it being a cluster of lag. Internet-the best, graphics-the best

its totally the servers.

It is infact lies. To claim there is no lag would be stupid. Fanboys screaming "It's your computer". When I can pick any random player on my server and they will say yeah there's server lag.

Obvisouly those without server lag are lucky. Maybe they have something we ain't got :)

i played this game at launch, ran reasonably well at around 50-70% full power.

picked up the game again the week before halo 4 came out. Still Ran Fine. (Had to avoid the fleet, too many people bogged down my game)

but now...(Since F2P, or at least the clusterF**** to find the HK droid parts) The game has become virtually unplayable! i can't go 3 feet without lagging 30 yards. (I've fallen off more then a few ledges to this, including the chasm beneath the fleet)

The funny thing is in World of warcraft i can have 250 people with in 60 yards of me and not lag at all. But swtor. Put 30 in close proximity, and the game falls apart.

Bioware should look into a way to improve game performance (how smooth it runs) without compromising graphic quality. (if thats even possible)

I know its a crazy huge game, but i still love it. :)

I love how you automatically assume that the F2P launch week population will be the permanent population. You know how much hype has gone into the media over this? It's absolutely normal for the pop to spike for a week or two before averaging out at a much lower number.

Hopping fleets myself, and I have no lag issues (connection or graphical). So...

Edited by Harsisus

It is infact lies. To claim there is no lag would be stupid. Fanboys screaming "It's your computer". When I can pick any random player on my server and they will say yeah there's server lag.

Obvisouly those without server lag are lucky. Maybe they have something we ain't got :)

So what, exactly, is it that you think they have that you don't?

Could it be a faster machine? A better ISP? A better graphics card?

Perhaps that's all lies too?

There are factors that need to be narrowed down, Your issue could be bandwidth on your end, services hogging resources on your computer. It could be RAM. Lag is usually caused by local issues on the client side, to issues with the code. But to make a general statement that it is the servers is not narrowing it down. That is over generalizing. I am not saying your not getting lag. What I am saying is its a hardware issue on your end, or an OS issue, or its the code.

Start with your specs what are they?

ON very low settings I cannot play a pvp match without it being a cluster of lag. Internet-the best, graphics-the best

its totally the servers.

what are your specs? I stream at full settings on my laptop and still pull off 30 fps

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Star%20Wars:%20The%20Old%20Republic

look there are a bunch of people doing warzones and going in fleet with full graphic settings and still getting good frame rates. They would be even better if they didn't have to stream.

Edited by jarjarloves

its totally the servers.

And here I thought I had average intenret and a above average computer, but I guess my 60fps during warzones mean I have a divine machine

Bioware already knows that this new influx of players will die down a bit. At launch they increased the servers to make players happy only to have populations start to die off after the hype train derailed causing under-population and non stop whining.

They aren't going to make that mistake again.

And here I thought I had average intenret and a above average computer, but I guess my 60fps during warzones mean I have a divine machine

Your PC too is blessed by god?

*Keeps on playing 60+ fps at max details, 1080p, max AA with 12 sec loading screens max*.

People who keep on claiming it's not their own hardware, drivers or connection, I call BS. Pick the right parts, and enjoy the smooth playing experience.

Yeah, Bioware should rush to open more servers cause it worked so well for them at launch. You people infuriate me, and should be ashamed of your selves. ASHAMED.

As far as that is concerned, I always thought it was common knowledge that the average MMO player has the memory span of the proverbial goldfish.

Edited by Fornix

its totally the servers.

How is what he said a lie? Just because you dont get what he is getting doesnt make it not true. Best graphics huh? Yeah I doubt that.

I run this game on a Sager NP8130 i7 (yep a laptop) with a GTX 560M and it runs it just fine. I have had zero issues in pvp.

Edited by Imhotep

I just wanted to say that I have not seen one single advertisement on tv in print or online for F2P SWTOR.

Not one. Anywhere.

And Im noticing slight lag in ability activation. But its not that bad. I got core2duo 2.4ghz nVidia 9600m gt 512mb 6GB ram laptop. Running on medium graphics with no shadows...

No one should ever see a "waiting in queue" message on this game. Nothing says "screw off" more than "come play our game for free, but wait 20 minutes to get on the server first." It's quintuply frustrating when you still pay for the game, like me, and you have to wait 20 minutes. Sounds like they're trying to get me to stop paying my subscription too, thb

STUPID BW SUCKS, yet again.

No one should ever see a "waiting in queue" message on this game. Nothing says "screw off" more than "come play our game for free, but wait 20 minutes to get on the server first." It's quintuply frustrating when you still pay for the game, like me, and you have to wait 20 minutes. Sounds like they're trying to get me to stop paying my subscription too, thb

STUPID BW SUCKS, yet again.

Full server? No problem, priority queue has not shown me a queue ever since. Want to play for free? Well, not every server is full, just like as with launch that is a matter of people picking servers which are already full, and then complain there are waiting lines.

The "it's your hardware, check your hardware" get's old. Fast like. Just do abit of research and you will see the issue with server lag or ability delay. You must be blind to not notice lag in rep fleet.

But just to toss it out there so you can chew on something. Look at these specs and then come back with your awsomeium machine.

I7 3.6 GZ (3.9 turbo)

Win 7 64 bit - 16 GB ram

Geforce Asus 660 GTX

P9X79 Motherboard

Seagate 500 GB harddrive

10Mbit ISP

These are My ****** specs that don't deserve to run the all mighty SwtoR. The strange thing is that I have no FPS issues. My latency idles on about 40-50 ms. But there is server lag AND ability delay. IT's there. Be it code or the servers themselves, who knows.

The "it's your hardware, check your hardware" get's old. Fast like. Just do abit of research and you will see the issue with server lag or ability delay. You must be blind to not notice lag in rep fleet.

But just to toss it out there so you can chew on something. Look at these specs and then come back with your awsomeium machine.

I7 3.6 GZ (3.9 turbo)

Win 7 64 bit - 16 GB ram

Geforce Asus 660 GTX

P9X79 Motherboard

Seagate 500 GB harddrive

10Mbit ISP

These are My ****** specs that don't deserve to run the all mighty SwtoR. The strange thing is that I have no FPS issues. My latency idles on about 40-50 ms. But there is server lag AND ability delay. IT's there. Be it code or the servers themselves, who knows.

10 Mbit boils down to 1.25mb/sec tops, commonly you can deduct 30% off of it on what you're actually getting most of the time, so that's roughly 900kb/sec. That doesn't leave much for online gaming, in particular not if combined with VoIP applications, if in a shared household, etc.

Additionally, you make no mention of which router you have, which modem you have and if there's any indication in your own home network of packet dropping going on.

In other words, chances are high it's still your own network setup or ISP at hand. After all, 10 Mbit is far from high-end when in more and more regions 100 Mbit is becoming standard and 1 Gbit connections are becoming a possibility for some.

On top of that, you may also be suffering from HDD lag. If your harddrive is having issues reading up smaller file snippets, difficulty writing away in logging, etc due to a lack of speed, this may give minor stuttering as well.