Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GTN new tax

Zylaro
11.16.2012 , 03:55 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by VegaPhone View Post
So we lose 6% of our sales price now. Alright, thats news to me.

I am going to wait for the market to adjust then since I am in a low profit margin market and edit: 6% of sales reducing our profits (profit margin reduced by sales tax is more than 6%) is a big cut when an already invested capital on the mats is used to make those items... and will hope that other sellers realize this and adjust their prices so its worthwhile, or I would be better off running heroics/dailies and not crafting.
As I said I haven't had a chance to test this on a live server, the 6% is from memory, it may be lower than that and of course they might have changed things before going live. I will experiment later today. Unfortunately they have removed many threads from the PTS forums where this was discussed.

Ragglemuffin
11.16.2012 , 04:17 AM | #12
Hi guys,

I did some calculations last night after installing 1.5 and its 6% deposit of the total selling price (I believe this is returned on the successful sale of the item) however the GTN takings (tax) comes out to 12.96% or 13% of the total selling price.

So eg.
Item selling price: 10000
Deposit required to place item on GTN for 10000 = 600

On successful sale:
Credits earned: 10000+600 = 10600
Tax on total return: (10600/100)*13 = 1378

Total earned - tax: 10600-1378 = 9222.

I think the important thing here is to make sure you research on best buying and selling days/times to make the greatest return or go farm all the mats to make a 100% return.

I hope this helps.

Adrius
11.16.2012 , 04:53 AM | #13
Wow. So where are our taxes going? Improved GTN interfacing? Increased responsiveness? Functionality of the GTN? I don't remember reading about any of this in the patch notes. In fact it seemed like most deposit values would go down.

If I see any, "Your Tax Credits At Work," signs on Coruscant...
Nice... REAL nice. Maybe later we can find some insects to pull the legs off of, hm?

- Jolee Bindo

Spankypoo
11.16.2012 , 05:12 AM | #14
It only says in the patchnotes something about the deposit, not about the tax being higher or so.....

sounds like a bug to me

yaworr
11.16.2012 , 05:23 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ragglemuffin View Post
So eg.
Item selling price: 10000
Deposit required to place item on GTN for 10000 = 600
deposit is not based on selling price but on the item value (if i understand the patch notes correctly).
so maybe the tax didn't change (i was not aware that there was a tax before 1.5) but it's % is higher than the deposit and that is why the overall income is lower than before.
so the income in this example would be: 10000 + deposit - tax, where tax > deposit

Ragglemuffin
11.16.2012 , 05:56 AM | #16
Quote:
deposit is not based on selling price but on the item value (if i understand the patch notes correctly).
From reading the patch notes I would say that you are correct. I will check this when I return from work and make sure that it is as we read it to be. I think the only variable which could affect the deposit would be the size of stack.

Eg. If 1 item is 100 as deposit,
10 items in 1 stack could be: 100x10 = 1000 as deposit.

I do think that the GTN takings though are 13% on the total earned through sale.

So as said above:
Total sales(including deposit return) - tax = Return

Then for those who want to know how much they made:

Return - expenses(cost of item) = profit made

(Cost of item) - total cost incurred to buy the items from the GTN, total cost for sending companions off on gathering missions etc. Obviously, comparing like or like (buy 10 items from GTN then sell 10 items) will give you the most accurate value. I'm sure this is bread and butter for most but if it helps then I'm all

VegaPhone
11.16.2012 , 06:39 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Adrius View Post
Wow. So where are our taxes going? Improved GTN interfacing? Increased responsiveness? Functionality of the GTN? I don't remember reading about any of this in the patch notes. In fact it seemed like most deposit values would go down.

If I see any, "Your Tax Credits At Work," signs on Coruscant...
Thats funny. Yes, I would like to see our taxes put to good use, what ever that may be. It just seems like an unnecessary money sink taking a bite out of crafting.

There was no 'big' money sink for a year in crafting, and there are people with hundreds of millions of credits, so why now?

I think it is in anticipation that f2p players will offer mats at lower prices, however, before this happens, we are seeing a change with only a negative impact with p2p carrying the cost, and either the supplier pays the cost in taxes and sells at a lower prices or the consumer does at a higher price.

Until, ofc, suppliers get mats at cheaper costs from a greater supply from f2p players... which is hypothetical and we are not close to that... and it would be closer to 1 week before we see the signs of f2p having an affect on the economy as suppliers. As consumers, I also think f2p players will have little impact on buying expensive goods which already have a tax on them now.

So... I think its still unnecessary, since the invisible hand of the economy will always balance with supply and demand, and adding a tax which is not used, will only either hurt suppliers, producers, or consumers without putting that tax to any use.

Maybe... if that tax was somehow rerouted to guilds. Meaning we pay taxes anyways, but if we are in a guild, our guild bank gets the tax. At least it encourages people to join guilds so their taxes dont go to waste and are helping thier guild pay for costs.

Fargmania
11.17.2012 , 12:30 AM | #18
That is annoying and unnecessary. The economy is fake and the money is fake. Why do we need a fake "tax" to add to the complication? The process of figuring out profit margin before was pretty simple. It went like this: I always get back my selling price plus part (or maybe all) of my original deposit. Now if I don't do the math, I can take a loss? Great.

I will adjust, but why must I? I mean... it's... a... game... It doesn't need to be complicated like this.

Maybe I'm wrong... Perhaps we should adopt political parties and argue about where the fake tax dollars will go? I mean why should my GTN money go towards renovating Taris when I don't even live there? Heck - they don't even have a GTN kiosk, do they? Why don't they have to pay their fair share?!?

LostScot
11.17.2012 , 08:04 AM | #19
I listed a bunch of items on the GTN yesterday (after the introduction of version 1.5 patch) and was surprised to see the amounts from items that had sold. Here are the amounts from 7 items that sold overnight:

Attached is your asking price of 14175 credits and your deposit, less the Galactic Trade Network's commission of 850 credits. (13798 credits received)
Attached is your asking price of 2000 credits and your deposit, less the Galactic Trade Network's commission of 120 credits. (909 credits received)
Attached is your asking price of 2878 credits and your deposit, less the Galactic Trade Network's commission of 172 credits. (2735 credits received)
Attached is your asking price of 2878 credits and your deposit, less the Galactic Trade Network's commission of 172 credits. (2735 credits received)
Attached is your asking price of 2923 credits and your deposit, less the Galactic Trade Network's commission of 175 credits. (2779 credits received)
Attached is your asking price of 2518 credits and your deposit, less the Galactic Trade Network's commission of 151 credits. (2384 credits received)
Attached is your asking price of 3923 credits and your deposit, less the Galactic Trade Network's commission of 235 credits. (3719 credits received)

Thankfully most of these are small amounts however the point remains that I expected to receive the asking price plus the deposit minus the commission. In every case that amount should be greater than the original asking price because the commission is a fraction of the deposit.

TyrKartelos
11.17.2012 , 08:17 AM | #20
Why cant we just sell an item for say 10,000 and get 10,000?