Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Cover: The Compendium of Knowledgeses

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Cover: The Compendium of Knowledgeses

botdefaultswaps's Avatar


botdefaultswaps
12.18.2011 , 02:04 PM | #11
Just started playing yesterday and I am confused on the tactic to use when a strong melee opponent closes while I am in cover. Should I stay there and use melee abilities, ect. Or should I stun and run? I tried stun and run against an Elite and he whomped me.

Warcryer's Avatar


Warcryer
12.18.2011 , 02:29 PM | #12
Hey mate, good job here. See ya ingame.
Tuki - Legendary Midget Pirate

Gassygunslinger's Avatar


Gassygunslinger
12.18.2011 , 06:19 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by botdefaultswaps View Post
Just started playing yesterday and I am confused on the tactic to use when a strong melee opponent closes while I am in cover. Should I stay there and use melee abilities, ect. Or should I stun and run? I tried stun and run against an Elite and he whomped me.

If you're a gunslinger, I'd say stay in cover. Or at least, re-cover. Gunslinger has lots of abilities that give defensive bonuses when going to cover (a few like Ballistic Dampers wear out after about 4 seconds, until you take cover again), and more offensive abilities to outdamage your enemies. Also, with Cover Screen (I believe that's it, correct me if I'm wrong), you'll get 20% defensive boost for a few seconds after leaving cover. So picking up sticks, moving, then grabbing cover again is pretty beneficial. Especially when you get "Snap Shot", which gives you a free instant Charged Burst as soon as you get cover again. Additionally, Cover Pulse is your friend against swarms. Keeps them off your back.

A good tactic is to knock them back, then use Leg Shot. While damage breaks their root a bit early, it gives you enough time to set up an Aimed Shot. You've got an arsenal of CC's to keep them occupied, so make sure to use them!
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

Gassygunslinger's Avatar


Gassygunslinger
12.18.2011 , 08:39 PM | #14
Also, just want to say, hooray at being the first thread in the Smuggler forums to get stickied! I'll make sure this thread is well worth it.
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

zipain's Avatar


zipain
12.19.2011 , 06:25 AM | #15
Aight so this is from 2008..

now im wondering as game is live if hes thing about the cover created by the gunslinger and cover you roll into still dont act the same?

Hes saying cover created by gunslinger dont give avoidance only reduce damage and cover from neutral stuff does give the 20% avoidance.

Now that game is live i see myself getting 20% avoidance wether im makeing the cover or using the enviorment as cover. so guess its exactly the same now?? right??

also ye when you use your own cover you dont get the green shield marks over enemys head as you do in neutral cover. but guess that is still the same and meens nothing.

Ifligus_'s Avatar


Ifligus_
12.19.2011 , 10:25 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by zipain View Post
Aight so this is from 2008..
I think you've confused Gassygunslinger's signup date with the post date. This thread is discussing the current release, so all the info is good.

Gassygunslinger's Avatar


Gassygunslinger
12.19.2011 , 11:27 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by zipain View Post
Aight so this is from 2008..

now im wondering as game is live if hes thing about the cover created by the gunslinger and cover you roll into still dont act the same?

Hes saying cover created by gunslinger dont give avoidance only reduce damage and cover from neutral stuff does give the 20% avoidance.

Now that game is live i see myself getting 20% avoidance wether im makeing the cover or using the enviorment as cover. so guess its exactly the same now?? right??

also ye when you use your own cover you dont get the green shield marks over enemys head as you do in neutral cover. but guess that is still the same and meens nothing.
As the post above said, 2008 was when I signed up on the forums, not this post date. A little bit of this thread was created this September, based on confirmed developer statements (to cut down on speculation), but the stuff that's in it now is up to date, and reflects the live state of the game.

The Portable Cover (created by a Gunslinger, not to be confused with Crouch from Scoundrel) gives 20% damage reduction. The natural cover gives 100% avoidance from direct attacks (blaster fire). Neither works against Area of Effect attacks (like grenades). But note that if you use Crouch or Portable Cover in front of natural cover, you will receive the full 100% damage avoidance from direct attacks. If you see a green shield above an enemy, it means you are immune from his direct attacks, until of course you pop out to shoot.

Hope that helps!
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

Barsymes's Avatar


Barsymes
12.19.2011 , 05:55 PM | #18
Awesome post Gassy, you just got me a lot more excited about my Gunslinger. My eyes have been opened to Cover.

Keep the guides coming.

memnon's Avatar


memnon
12.20.2011 , 04:14 AM | #19
Excellant post thanks a million cleared up loads of questions i had about the cover system.

Is their anyway to toggle the option to leave the option of showing cover points (the green silhouettes) on permenantly. Right now the only time i get into combat is when they appear. Being able to toggle them on/off before i get into a fight would be really helpful
You know what really grinds my gears? ... When you cant find the droids your looking for.

Koorah's Avatar


Koorah
12.20.2011 , 07:20 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by memnon View Post
Excellant post thanks a million cleared up loads of questions i had about the cover system.

Is their anyway to toggle the option to leave the option of showing cover points (the green silhouettes) on permenantly. Right now the only time i get into combat is when they appear. Being able to toggle them on/off before i get into a fight would be really helpful
I could be wrong but I think they will appear if you target an enemy rather than just when you engage them.

However note the cautionary tale of Taugrim in his Gunslinger PVP guide, in that the green gumby does not always put you in a favourable position.
In THIS universe Commandos carry the BFG | GET. OVER. IT.
British Havoc Squaddie - LET'S 'AVE IT!