Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thoughts on 1.5 Watchman Heal Nerf?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight > Sentinel
Thoughts on 1.5 Watchman Heal Nerf?

SovereignConvict
11.15.2012 , 04:37 PM | #1
Anyone noticed any major difference with the Merciless Zeal change in heals? If so, do you feel like it brings Sentinels more "in line" with how they should be balanced against other Advanced Classes in PvP?

Any thoughts on how significant an impact this change will have on PvE?

Just curious.

KarethRiker
11.15.2012 , 04:49 PM | #2
Seems pretty silly to me. Over the long run this healing is useful, but doesn't make a huge difference against the burst classes. I'm actually surprised they didn't nerf focus and combat burst although I realize that is pretty hard to do.

I don't see this as having much of an effect although again seems kind of pointless.
Kareth Kalzeth Kairieth Karzeth Karyeth
Kelschuz Staccia Karjeth Karxeth
The Last Centurions - The Harbinger

Altheran
11.15.2012 , 05:02 PM | #3
It seems fair to me. Fair compared to Balance Shadows. Before it healed as much as for them, while they had to spec deep in the tree to have these 2%, while having lesser damage reductions and no increase of critical rate of DoTs (Sents and Maras had up to 15% bonus-crit chance on it) making them harder to proc heals than Sents and Maras.
Not ever mentioning that it added to the 1% from Zen...

gtangtan
11.15.2012 , 05:21 PM | #4
Before I could take on 1 healer and 1 tank by myself with zen self heal and i can no longer do that. Having sed that, focus sent/guardian can still 1v2 and down 2 players in less than 15 sec if they time everything right. So can inf and balance shadows. So... what's up with the hate on watchman??? Shouldn't they be nerfing the stun bubbles or focus before they nerf watchman even more?

JediMasterSLC
11.15.2012 , 06:27 PM | #5
This nerf makes 0 sense. Watchman is already the least viable spec for ranked warzones- just ask anyone who plays them competitively. No one was complaining about watchman, everyone was complaining about focus, and the solution is to nerf watchman?
55s: POT5- Kakarrotx-Sent, Paraguss-Sorc, Brawlly-Jug, Meleehealer-Mara
Bastion- Greenn-Mando, Radishz-Scoundrel, Trunkks-Shadow, Burdok-Sniper, Lettucce-PT

Drazzen
11.15.2012 , 11:43 PM | #6
I agree. This is one of the most senseless nerfs I've seen in a long time.
Another PvP oriented decision that also drastically affects PvE.

However in PvP with the 30% damage reduction already imposed it makes this spec almost completely non-viable as the heals were an integral part of the sustained damage and survivability. Further, the burns can be cleansed by any class.

In two warzones tonight I did 300k damage and healed 11k and 35k respectively while the Guardian Tank healed for over 55k.

DocZoloft
11.16.2012 , 08:30 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Drazzen View Post
This happens WAY too often and it is so incredibly frustrating.
The Art of Warfare Premier Online Gaming Community
TAW Website | TAW Games | TAW Recruiting Post | APPLY HERE
Zoloc | Xanaxa | Gardasil | Mohrphine | Prozaq | Klonopinn | Rytalin | Vicodina | Cilline

Bugattiboy
11.16.2012 , 08:45 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Drazzen View Post
You should know those are the only kinds of decisions they make. BioWare doesn't give a rat's as$ about PvE.

Tiar
11.16.2012 , 09:29 AM | #9
This decision has taken away 50% of the fun I have playing my Sentinel. I also play a Shadow, and I have 3 DoTs I can drop on a target as opposed to the 1 and a 1/2 DoTs I can do on my Sentinel. The only major different is the garanteed healing from mashing a 30 stack of Zen. Even with the additional 15% crit chance on burn effects (which requires a small build-up to get to that point), I didn't notice a substantial difference in the frequency of healing tics. All in all, they seemed about even in terms of healing, but depending on what I was fighting at the time my Sentinel would have a slight advantage when jumping from target to target to keep the 5 stack buff up constantly and rebuild 30 stacks zen very quickly. With the healing changes, this is no longer possible.

Sentinels and their Sith counterparts were concidered a fast-paced combat class that cut paths of destruction through enemy ranks with deadly efficiency and speed. I think this only applies to the other specs in the tree now, since Watchman/Annihilation relies on the heals to keep them alive and deal their damage as opposed to the burst and hard hitting build-up attacks from the other 2 specs.

The healing done is solely based on your max hps, and since I don't have the time to sit on this game for hours farming Hard Modes and find Pugs for raids, I'm not uber geared on either toon. Maybe end-game equipment was a determining factor for this change (i.e. dps builds getting themselves over 20k+ hps or whatnot from raid gear), but from what you guys are saying it was more than likely a decision based on PvP mechanics. What I do know, is that I can no longer jump into a group of 4 minion classified mobs of equivalent level and come out with half my health bar intact. I didn't realize how dependant I became on the healing until now. I can no longer use my dps companions for fast burn-downs like I used, and using a tank companion for tougher mobs has gotten almost pointless. I'm forced to use my healer companion for any mob stronger than a silver or any group of mobs including a silver and more than 1 add.

I realize I'm complaining, which wasn't my intention. I just want to know why the healing was reduced and exactly what means they used to make this determination. I will be very disapponted if F2P had something to do with it...
"This dish is so poorly prepped, EA is trying to publish it."
"Install WoW in 2 easy steps!"
"Step 1: Remove side panel from your tower case."
"Step 2: Deuce on your hard drive."

JediMasterSLC
11.16.2012 , 10:16 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugattiboy View Post
You should know those are the only kinds of decisions they make. BioWare doesn't give a rat's as$ about PvE.
I'll agree this was obviously a PvP oriented nerf, but to claim that Bioware cares more about PvP than PvE is taking it way too far. They've said themselves that PvP was a secondary concern.
55s: POT5- Kakarrotx-Sent, Paraguss-Sorc, Brawlly-Jug, Meleehealer-Mara
Bastion- Greenn-Mando, Radishz-Scoundrel, Trunkks-Shadow, Burdok-Sniper, Lettucce-PT