Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Force Lightning- Sith Lightning

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Force Lightning- Sith Lightning

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.15.2012 , 07:15 PM | #1
"I've played your Jedi dueling games long enough! Now you will experience my full potency... I live as energy... I am the Dark Side!"- Darth Sidious, undisputed master of Sith Lightning

One of the most powerful Force Power in the Sith's arsenal. Force Lightning has become a trademark of the Sith, to the point that Force Lightning has come to be known as Sith Lightning. The greatest user of Sith Lightning, in all aspects, is Darth Sidious. His command of Force Lightning is the greatest ever seen. So destructive in its power, his Lightning could tear apart entire fleets, light up entire planets, or reduce his opponents to nothing more than charred husks in an instant.

Force Lightning is a powerful ability, but to fully understand it, one must know where this power comes from. The simple answer is the Dark Side. But nothing is ever so simple, not in the Force. Force Lightning naturally draws power from the Dark Side and the power within the subject. This power also draws upon emotion: hate, anger, etc. Its use of emotion enhances its power, but emotion is not the main source of Force Lightning's power. One of the main contributors to Force Lightning's power is evil intent. Intent to kill, torture, etc.

Force Lightning has a wide range of utility for Sith purposes. Commonly used to kill enemies, but Force Lightning is also used for torture or to severely injure an enemy. Force Lightning has been used by the Sith for millenia to accomplish these evil deeds.

This power has been forbidden by the Jedi Order because of its obvious Dark sources, but some Jedi have contended that they can control Lightning. Many fail to do so, but there are those who utilized Force Lightning successfully, without falling to the Dark Side. This will be discussed in part two of this thread.

Force Lightning has become a trademark of the Sith, used by a vast majority of the Sith. The power behind this ability places the victim in immense pain until they are eventually killed, or the Sith ceases. Force Lightning is one of the most powerful abilities in the Sith arsenal because it is nearly impossible to stop. Certain rare Force powers and Lightsabers are the only known ways for Jedi to defend themselves from Force Lightning.

Our look at Sith Lightning is only part two of our look at Force Lightning. The next thread will discuss the Jedi use of Force Lightning. We will discuss Jedi Master Plo Koon's use of Force Lightning.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.
Added Chapter 41 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
11.15.2012 , 07:26 PM | #2
"In order to summon and use lightning properly, you will someday have to be on the receiving end of its power, as a means of taking the energy inside yourself."

-Plagueis
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.15.2012 , 07:33 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
"In order to summon and use lightning properly, you will someday have to be on the receiving end of its power, as a means of taking the energy inside yourself."

-Plagueis
I wouldn't say that is entirely true. I think that would have a certain effect on an individuals command of Lightning, but not a requirement. I say this because there are those who have used Force Lightning without having been on its receiving end. Certain beings have an innate ability to use Lightning.
Added Chapter 41 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
11.16.2012 , 04:05 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I wouldn't say that is entirely true. I think that would have a certain effect on an individuals command of Lightning, but not a requirement. I say this because there are those who have used Force Lightning without having been on its receiving end. Certain beings have an innate ability to use Lightning.
Perhaps, but this is what Plageius said to Sidious in the Darth Plageius novel, and how the latter learned to use force lightening. Maybe its more to do with taking the rage and emotions etcetera inside yourself and channelling them i.e. Sith often use the dark side against Jedi/force sensitives in order to goad them into using the same power against them in angry retaliation - perhaps this is what is happening here.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.16.2012 , 04:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Perhaps, but this is what Plageius said to Sidious in the Darth Plageius novel, and how the latter learned to use force lightening. Maybe its more to do with taking the rage and emotions etcetera inside yourself and channelling them i.e. Sith often use the dark side against Jedi/force sensitives in order to goad them into using the same power against them in angry retaliation - perhaps this is what is happening here.
Yeah, I think it has more to do with the Dark Side and the Darkness inside oneself, but, upon reflection, I think getting zapped(), based on Darth Plagueis' assessment of it, the zapped would gain some measure of enhancement in their own use of Force Lightning.

Perhaps your astute observation is correct. We know the Sith love to goad Jedi into falling, and the use of Lightning would show them the power of the Dark Side. Such is seen with Bastila's fall at the hands of Malak. So it sounds plausible. Either that or Plagueis is just plain sadistic.

On a side-note. I think Inquisitors should get a buff whenever they are hit with Force Lightning. Not a permanent one, but wouldn't that be cool?
Added Chapter 41 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
11.16.2012 , 05:00 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
On a side-note. I think Inquisitors should get a buff whenever they are hit with Force Lightning. Not a permanent one, but wouldn't that be cool?
It would be cool, it would be nice to see BioWare incorporate more lore into game mechanics, making the overall experience more 'realistic'.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.16.2012 , 05:03 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
It would be cool, it would be nice to see BioWare incorporate more lore into game mechanics, making the overall experience more 'realistic'.
I agree. I wish more lore was implemented into the gameplay. Especially for Sith and Jedi, there is so much that you can take from the lore and implement into those classes.
Added Chapter 41 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

ZoeTuah's Avatar


ZoeTuah
11.16.2012 , 08:31 PM | #8
For some perspective, I quite like how Avatar: The Last Airbender does lightning. Not fueled by emotion like fire, but cold, precise resolution.

Reminds me of Palpatine's laughter.

Yobacca's Avatar


Yobacca
11.16.2012 , 09:23 PM | #9
Luke was able to use force lightning, as was Revan and Plo Koon, among others. Galen Marek was an extremely gifted user of this Force power, even after his conversion to the light side, rivaling Darth Sidious.

Force lightning ability was not restricted to dark-siders. Jedi and other light-siders who were strong of will and character could learn this power without falling to the dark sideóbut its use was viewed as inherently corrupting, and most Jedi Councils forbade its use.

Some members of the New Jedi Order such as Kyle Katarn and Jaden Korr also used Force lightning. but it remained very controversial. Other Jedi practitioners of this power have been Relin Druur, Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo, Jacen Solo, Mara Jade Skywalker and Luke Skywalker.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.16.2012 , 09:37 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Yobacca View Post
Luke was able to use force lightning, as was Revan and Plo Koon, among others. Galen Marek was an extremely gifted user of this Force power, even after his conversion to the light side, rivaling Darth Sidious.

Force lightning ability was not restricted to dark-siders. Jedi and other light-siders who were strong of will and character could learn this power without falling to the dark sideóbut its use was viewed as inherently corrupting, and most Jedi Councils forbade its use.

Some members of the New Jedi Order such as Kyle Katarn and Jaden Korr also used Force lightning. but it remained very controversial. Other Jedi practitioners of this power have been Relin Druur, Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo, Jacen Solo, Mara Jade Skywalker and Luke Skywalker.
"The next thread will discuss the Jedi use of Force Lightning"

I will be covering the use of Force Lightning by Jedi in the next thread.
Added Chapter 41 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus