Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is this Mercenary doing wrong?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
What is this Mercenary doing wrong?

Krozis
11.14.2012 , 01:10 PM | #1
(aside from playing the wrong advanced spec.)

This video shows two (I assume) relatively well geared players. One is powertech, one is mercenary, both are Pyro spec.

According to Bioware, we're all within 5% of each other, right?

According to some people on the forums, a Merc Pyro should never get beat by a PT Pyro.... because cleanse trumps all, and it's 'easier to kite' with.

So here's the video in question. Disclaimer, this is not my video, but I came across it looking for my daily youtube PVP dose. I apologize if the owner of the video did not want it posted.... and maybe if either person from this video peruse the forum you could add insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4W8...0&feature=plcp

So all things being equal, BW's statement on DPS, their expertise at class balance, etc, etc.... what is the Mercenary doing wrong to get beat so soundly?
̿̿'̿̿\̵͇̿̿\= Formerly from a big guild that is now hundreds of tiny guilds. =/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿
Krozis \ Vintego \ Vint

Technohic
11.14.2012 , 01:24 PM | #3
When I was on my merc, the best shot I had was in huttball, opening up from range with both of us up on the walkways. What would happen is the PT would pull me over, then I would push him off his platform so I could keep range. Better kill him before he gets another pull though.

Other than that rare one on one and entirely situational sequence, I would say you are hard pressed.

Domatron
11.14.2012 , 01:24 PM | #4
It doesn't even look like the merc is trying to kite, if he is he's doing it terribly. The Merc has to stay outside 10m, he doesn't use his cleanse to remove the slows and he uses his knockback before the PT uses his grapple. Still going to be tough to take out an equally geared PT but if you just face tank it, this is what happens.

cashogy
11.14.2012 , 01:28 PM | #5
assuming the same gear and skill level, a powertech ALWAYS beats a Mercenary.

powertech just has more tools. greater burst potential, perma-slow, crit chance buff, etc

whoever says cleanse trumps all is just flat wrong. it doesnt make a lot of sense to cleanse against a powertech, as the only chance you have to win is a straight dps race, and you just wasted a GCD on removing a DoT that will be back before your GCD is over.

the only way to beat a powertech as a merc is if the powertech is really bad and makes lots of mistakes (which is unlikely seeing as how easy powertech is to play).

wetslampigduex
11.14.2012 , 01:32 PM | #6
umm thats what happens when a PT goes 1v1 with just about anything... Mara's its close but they tear a part every other class

Jenzali
11.14.2012 , 02:04 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
assuming the same gear and skill level, a powertech ALWAYS beats a Mercenary.
1v1 tournaments seem to favor arsenal merc in a matchup vs. Pyro PT. Provided you save Jet boost for Grapple.

When the PT uses his CC breaker is a win-win situation for the merc - if he breaks the 4 second stun you can concussion missile him (instant if necessary) and heal yourself to full, if he doesn't then you'll be able to put full heat signature stacks on him for the 5k Heatseeker.

I don't play Pyro Merc so I can't determine how that matchup is.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Boyana
11.14.2012 , 02:07 PM | #8
I love the way all PTS are jumping around, because...there is nothing else to do while, on the other hand, I try not to jump because it slows me down.
Yeah, I just love it.

AshlaBoga
11.14.2012 , 02:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Domatron View Post
It doesn't even look like the merc is trying to kite, if he is he's doing it terribly. The Merc has to stay outside 10m, he doesn't use his cleanse to remove the slows and he uses his knockback before the PT uses his grapple. Still going to be tough to take out an equally geared PT but if you just face tank it, this is what happens.
I agree 100%.

A merc who tries to fight a powertech within melee ranged is going to be roflstomped.
FEAR REMAINS ETERNAL, Jung Ma server
Fear Remains Eternal
Lord of Corruption

Smashbrother
11.14.2012 , 02:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Krozis View Post
(aside from playing the wrong advanced spec.)

This video shows two (I assume) relatively well geared players. One is powertech, one is mercenary, both are Pyro spec.

According to Bioware, we're all within 5% of each other, right?

According to some people on the forums, a Merc Pyro should never get beat by a PT Pyro.... because cleanse trumps all, and it's 'easier to kite' with. He also doesn't bother healing himself when he broke LoS with the PT.

So here's the video in question. Disclaimer, this is not my video, but I came across it looking for my daily youtube PVP dose. I apologize if the owner of the video did not want it posted.... and maybe if either person from this video peruse the forum you could add insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4W8...0&feature=plcp

So all things being equal, BW's statement on DPS, their expertise at class balance, etc, etc.... what is the Mercenary doing wrong to get beat so soundly?
That merc is just *********** terrible. He didn't use his CC break properly, and didn't use his stuns properly. He also doesn't know how to kite.

The fight also favored the PT since they started close to each other both times. In a real match the PT would be farther away, and be forced to run up while getting hit or use his grapple. It would be like starting a fight with a knight by being next to him so he couldn't leap to you, and thus severely disadvantaging the knight.