Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP in it's glory day, a reflection on 1.1.5

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP in it's glory day, a reflection on 1.1.5

Draekos
11.14.2012 , 04:02 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by POPsi View Post
Let's assume the engine is ok (which is not and will not be), Ilum would still suck big time. Just recall what was happening with the faction imbalance in early 2012... one faction camping the other base entrance hoping for a lucky kill... that's not open world pvp, it's a joke. Unless they can actually come up with some really objective based open world pvp other than "capture this point" there will be nothing worthwhile but warzones.
Dunno about you but my game performs night and day better now than back in those days. There is alot of random NPC stuff going on on Ilum(the removal of which could be part of their fix) but I see no reason why the game cant handle 30ish v 30ish. I've seen some pretty big fights in the black hole without any lag.
Currently playing Nhatt Sixpack on the Bastion.

Theoddones
11.14.2012 , 04:05 AM | #22
As mentioned the hero engine is one thing, but the biggest issue with ilum imo is the horrible design.
If you have a design that causes the whole server to fight at the spawn of the map ofc it is going to lag like hell, I mean cmon, huge map with 3 meaningless and poorly designed objectives. If they had any clue they would have a design that forced people to split up and not all gather at one spot.
Then again BW has done no effort at all to make people do Opvp after ilum, like why do you only get valour from kills on ilum.
How difficult would it be to make a simple kill quest or modify outlaws den in some way. Like make the chests drop something meaningful or have a chance at dropping something really rare.

The rng bag system wasn't that bad, it was just frustrating putting in the same effort as your friends, then watching them get full BM in no time while you got nothing.

POPsi
11.14.2012 , 04:42 AM | #23
with the skeleton crew BW still has on SWTOR, I doubt we will see any improvements in this area. How much time did they have to come up with something? And we got a stunning 1! new warzone since game launch. Actually if you consider it, we have less pvp content altogether than at launch. So do the math. They don't care about pvp, and I don't expect they will prioritize it any time soon, and there's an even smaller chance for an Ilum overhaul.

DarthFamine
11.14.2012 , 06:22 AM | #24
I'm going to have to disagree with you OP.

The old system was confusing, with too many different types of commendations for too many disparate things. The RNG was terrible, I NEVER got a piece of gear from a bag.

let me say that again

NEVER

The current system is too grindy, but it is superior to the broken bag system hands down.
"It might be fear, or anger, or hatred, or perhaps even suffering that makes a man fall to the dark side, but it is without a doubt regret, that keeps him there."
-Darth Famine
www.RJKgaming.com

AMKSED
11.14.2012 , 06:24 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthFamine View Post

The old system was confusing, with too many different types of commendations for too many disparate things. The RNG was terrible, I NEVER got a piece of gear from a bag.

let me say that again

NEVER

The current system is too grindy, but it is superior to the broken bag system hands down.
It takes longer now to get the top tiered gear than it did back then.

Groncho
11.14.2012 , 07:16 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthFamine View Post

let me say that again

NEVER

for most classes u need 8-10 more pieces of armor to min max the sets + some L26-27 armorings. Those pieces are 2000-2250 RWZ comms each
takes longer tbh and if u have more than 1 L50 to pvp,...well
Bw in fact added more time for the lolgrinding after 1.2 and reduced the amount of credits u get from wz's
and if u want to use the new EliteWarHero mods and enhas...well just do the maths each piece is 5450 RWZ comms.
Nice, isn't....
Ch
LATIN LOVER

byteresistor
11.14.2012 , 07:22 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by AMKSED View Post
It takes longer now to get the top tiered gear than it did back then.
That was entirely dependant on whether the rng was in your favor. I got very lucky on one character while on another I didn't see a single drop for a long time.

fungihoujo
11.14.2012 , 07:34 AM | #28
But, marauders weren't happy in 1.1.5.

They've already lost the bulk of all the other classes- they can't revert it, they'd lose the majority of their current players.

Again.

It's probably a good thing they kept the buff/nerfing strategy of 1.2 that worked so well. After all- can you imagine if they'd listened to the people who had brought out all their well thought out and correct criticisms? There's some times where you have to just stick to your guns as an mmo company and not cave in to the millions playing the game. After all- if they'd done what people wanted when there were 1.7 million players, it could have led to a disaster.

Heck, this game might even have had to go f2p in the first year!

fungihoujo
11.14.2012 , 07:35 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by byteresistor View Post
That was entirely dependant on whether the rng was in your favor. I got very lucky on one character while on another I didn't see a single drop for a long time.
Yes... but BM gear was so small an improvement, in some cases people actually considered the champ gear better. Compare BM to WH now- and a dead ape could tell you WH is vastly superior in every way.

Atramar
11.14.2012 , 07:46 AM | #30
Glad BW is not in car mechanics....
you: 'Hey, my breaks are broken'
BW: 'to hard to fix it, we will remove them for you, but won't mention it in fix notes, you will find out soon enouth'
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013