Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can't we have an SWG type space experience that starts at 50?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Can't we have an SWG type space experience that starts at 50?

Macetheace
11.13.2012 , 04:27 PM | #1
won't it blow every other mmo out of the market by finally providing a truly engaging full end game progression while at the same time addingi an element that is entirely missing from nearly all the major mmo games like Wow, GW2, Rift, Aion, LotrO etc ???

Space is star wars' biggest asset, and ToR is a great game, in m opiion better than wow in so many ways, and was better than cataclysm wow in nearly every aspect, but space plays such a small role, and playing through it you kind of feel disconnected from space. You don't relaly get that space feeling even when you're on your ship or the space station, you can't explore space, and space combat is so limited.. where are the massive battles? or playing hide and seek or just travelling?

You go from beautifully designned worlds, but the space imagery is so poor, the pictures of the planets look heavily 2-D pixelled, you can't fly down through the atmosphere or be seen flying up through it into space. You want the sort of view astronauts get of earth, and you want to be able to move through.

What if you had an SWG like experience that only started at level 50? Hit level 50, and you can start levelling your ship, progress to different fighter type jets, cruise ships etc and now you level you go up in ship levels, designed in such away that you shouldn't reach max ship level before the first expansion came out unless you palyed every day for 16 hrs only doing space exploration /battles & missions. The space dimension doesn't need an end game, so you don't need to design one per say for it, the ground game will continue to provide more Ops, flashpoints and warzones and the occasional new section of an existing world of solo-ist, but you can have this whole new dimension to stick your teeth into, with cool looking space ships, a really stunning looking spce view.

it would be awesome, and no one else will have that available. It can work with starwars, and might be much easier to do than you think.. it can give ToR quite the edge over its competitors whiles also creating the ultimate star wars experieence. Now with the new pricing model for subscription, how much of a boost do you think bioware would get if the space levelling was only available to subscribers?

Anti_Bodies
11.13.2012 , 04:29 PM | #2
they are working on space combat 2.0 essentially. an overhaul is already in the works. but it shouldn't start at 50. It should be at 16 when u get your ship.

Shingara
11.13.2012 , 04:31 PM | #3
I agree with the above poster, it should start when we get our ship be it lvl 14-16 but at the point you get your ship either way. I think it should be changed in the new system if or when it comes that we can have alternative ships but within the class mission system it JUST requires us to use those that ship for those missions, it wouldnt require it for all quests either aslong as a room or rooms within the ship had the same model where it allowed.

Adding a free flowing space game with sandbox eliments of playerhousing via space station etc would expand the game to not just a wider market but would also bring alot of players back especially with the F2P model where players could play the space game and use the space missions pass as an extra way to get ship equipment.

And as it stands it is the best value for money development Bioware could do without totaly redesigning the land based game which could have as much of a negative effect as a positive one.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Macetheace
11.13.2012 , 04:34 PM | #4
btw.. i never played SWG, so when i say SWG experience, I simply mean, a proper space experience. You can move in space with your ship manually to get to worlds, you have space exploration, space looks a lot better than it does currently, surely it isn't that graphically intensive to have it look like a movie.

It will certainly be in 3 dimensions, and in many respects, good space should be easy to do, because the only animations that are occurring will be the ships when they're engaging in combat, you don't have trees, and upteen number of other details.

The idea is you can get proper space battles now, team up with friends to do space ambushes, dog fights, hide in asteroids etc, use different ships with different capabilities, designing interiors is like designing a house, - but what would be lovely would be seeing proper renderings of worlds, rather than the really poor ones in game, and being on a space station feels like being on one. Also space exploration type missions, I assume that this is the sort of thing SWG had?

ZoeTuah
11.13.2012 , 04:42 PM | #5
I really hope to see some integration with free-form space flight and the Fleet. Imagine the enemy has come to assault your fleet - you see the action just out the windows! You'd run to your hangar, hop into your ship with your friends, and gun 'em all down. Land in the enemy battleship and slash your way into the main systems, and send 'em packing.

Macetheace
11.13.2012 , 04:45 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
I agree with the above poster, it should start when we get our ship be it lvl 14-16 but at the point you get your ship either way. I think it should be changed in the new system if or when it comes that we can have alternative ships but within the class mission system it JUST requires us to use those that ship for those missions, it wouldnt require it for all quests either aslong as a room or rooms within the ship had the same model where it allowed.

Adding a free flowing space game with sandbox eliments of playerhousing via space station etc would expand the game to not just a wider market but would also bring alot of players back especially with the F2P model where players could play the space game and use the space missions pass as an extra way to get ship equipment.

And as it stands it is the best value for money development Bioware could do without totaly redesigning the land based game which could have as much of a negative effect as a positive one.
yeah, i don't think the land based game needs re-designing, just the usual sort of improvements you would expect to come with an expansion, a better game system, some cool new abilities, animations and features, i for one would love to see force jump. Force jump is such a large part of force users, it's absence in swtor is felt, and just because it wasn't available in the single player old republic games, doesn't mean it shouldn't re-appear, and certainly more cool animations like somersaults, flips, and acrobatic movements are always cool to watch...for land based action.

I wouldn't mind space 2.0 coming fully into the game from scratch, but wouldn't it be a better idea to restrict space exploration missions and compound missions like huge battles till ground character level 50? You don't want to overload a new player with too many new things at first, so while you're dazzled by the new version of space right from the start, you only actually get to level your shop and upgrade it when your ground character hits 50. Then you can progress from space combat 2.0 single man type battles to space exploration, space exploration missions, space combat missions, and space battles, gaining levels with your ship and now expanding that play. Because you have the time for it. So you can choose your end game experience and have almost like a new game to play starting at 50. A provision they can make is to have low level characters have access to space exploration missions, if you already have one character at 50.

They could also make it only accessible on subscription, but if you get it then switch to free to play, you can retain it in preferred status with some restrictions, or just make it exclusively subscription, but allow the universal space combat games to be F2Play, they are options there no?

Macetheace
11.13.2012 , 04:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ZoeTuah View Post
I really hope to see some integration with free-form space flight and the Fleet. Imagine the enemy has come to assault your fleet - you see the action just out the windows! You'd run to your hangar, hop into your ship with your friends, and gun 'em all down. Land in the enemy battleship and slash your way into the main systems, and send 'em packing.
exactly.

creating a second time of pvp game, you got warzones, now you get space battles. Although this time it doesn't have to be in a separate instance, would be nice if we could fly in our ships and do raid attacks on Republic/Imperial bases. Fleet armada.

So each faction has moving fleet armadas all over the place, and you can join a space battle when you travel to a fleet armada. these can be pvE or pvp. i can imagine you can get space ambushes, too.

Anzel
11.13.2012 , 04:55 PM | #8
Elite Dangerous
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous

This is the space sim that started the entire genre. Coming back in March 2014
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

Kilikaa
11.13.2012 , 05:05 PM | #9
I want TOR to have what SWG did, a JTL system! I was so disappointed to find out that there really is no space game in TOR. I do not consider what we currently have to be space combat. I hate rail shooters and ripping off Star Fox is a slap in the face. They also better give us single seat fighters to buy. I want to fly a fighter, not the ships we have now.

Macetheace
11.13.2012 , 05:08 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
Elite Dangerous
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous

This is the space sim that started the entire genre. Coming back in March 2014
they should buy this guy out, and have him develop his project as the space version of star wars, so they would pretty much do all the visual aspects of space, different star systems, different parts of the galaxy, they'd do much better looking planets from the space view, and do the design for all the ships and space stations, finally we would have Rep and Imp space stations look different. could be v.cool