Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Debunking false ideas about Mara/Sents in PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Debunking false ideas about Mara/Sents in PVP

Phasersablaze
11.13.2012 , 11:53 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post

Firstly, God mode is for Sins and Shadows and no one else (2 abilities to basically make you immune to all damage and cc).
You have shown yourself to be a knowledgable poster so I won't make a big deal out of it and call you a baddie, but this is incorrect.

Force Shroud is the only defensive that grants stun immunity, but it also leaves the Sin vulnerable to white damage.

Deflection gives partial reduction just like most other defensive discs.

Even hitting them both at the same time does not grant the damage protection UR does. Not even close. It is very probable that you will lose a boatload health during the duration; especially if you are being focused while a Marauder with UR roing CANNOT be killed for the duration as long as he has more than like 100 hps. Oh yeah and then after 5 secs when Force Shroud wears off you are toast cause you know everyone was saving their big attack waiting for you to stop glowing. At that point the Sin is SOL, while the marauder has 3 more defensives to go.

Plus if a Sin does that he is SOL cause he just blew everything (maybe you have blackout if you are deception), while a marauder still has 3 more defensives to go.

There is really no cmparison to UR.

<<<<Reminder: The point of my thread is to honestly explain the capabilities of a Marauder in PVP. I think that, because of how well the class has been designed, Marauders should be used as a baseline to balance classes (in relation to DPS, Utility, and counter-tactics).

The problem as I see it is that no one will be honest for fear of being nerfed. Abilities are down-played, fingers pointed at other classes, and no one wants to admit that Marauders are one of the most streamlined classes in PVP. I would say that Assasins and Snipers are fairly streamlined as well. some other classes are clunky and ineffective; lacking the tools they need; especially the mercenary.

But I don't think anyone will agree while there is so much wool being pulled over people's eyes. Undying rage is not just a Hail Mary ability that fails to get the job done 90% of the time. Same can be said about Predation, Bloodthirst, etc, etc. There are some classes that are significantly lacking in tools like this, and some classes who have had tools takesn away from them. It's just another thing that makes PVP less fun to play that should be fixed.>>>>>

Phasersablaze
11.13.2012 , 11:57 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Mcnoober View Post
Every class has the potental to be "OP" ive done it with my Gaurdian my Vangaurd and my Comando. I adverage 6 solo kills a game with all 3 classes and usualy top 3 medalists. People just should stop QQ bout certain classes being OP cause anyone can be "OP" if u know your class and play it right. Currently there is only 1 mara tht can solo me 50% of the time and shes a good friends and its always a good fight. They rest of the time my vangaurd has no issues with them. Its all about useing every single ability u can and its ALL situational. When to use this and when 2 use tht kinda stuff. So my advice is to really learn your favorite class and become tht "OP" class.
That's a nice thought (I wish it were true) but you are wrong. There are some classes (especially the Commando/Mercenary) who can not become "OP" as you put it no matter how geared or skilled they are. That's called class imbalance.

What you experience in an unranked WZ only shows that you are playing againts baddies. Not that your class is powerful.

TridusSWTOR
11.13.2012 , 12:08 PM | #93
Firstly, God mode is for Sins and Shadows and no one else (2 abilities to basically make you immune to all damage and cc). The most OP aspect of UR is not that they simply get to live longer and maybe get a heal or two, but because they get free time to play objectively. By that I mean that they cannot be killed while it is up and it allows them to defend an objective long past the time they should have otherwise died. This also gives them a large advantage in 1v1, but warzones are not dueling arenas.

Let's be honest, maras bring one true piece of utility to the table and that is whatever ability they choose to use with 30 stacks built up (predation, berserk, depends on spec and circumstance really). They can't taunt or guard (pt, sin, jugg), they can't heal or use tons of CC(sorc, merc, op), they can only kill stuff and if you let them stay on you that's what they'll do. They are just like snipers, but far more vulnerable in melee range and so they need CDs to mitigate a lot of the damage they take.

I'm not saying they are perfectly balanced with every other class, but a majority of complaints come from mercs and sorcs (of which I have both, no 50 maras yet) who are the main targets of maras. When (if?) mercs get their boost to escapability (just like hybrid sorcs have atm), they will have far fewer problems with melee when played correctly.
So in blue text, you say Sins/shadow get god mode but in the red text you describe UR being well....god mode.

Derp.

AsiriusNazriel
11.13.2012 , 12:15 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by TridusSWTOR View Post
So in blue text, you say Sins/shadow get god mode but in the red text you describe UR being well....god mode.

Derp.
Operatives and Scoundrels get a 3 second god mode as well, I have YET to hear anyone complain about it. Go ahead... complain about it buddy, I want to hear some QQ goodness out of you on this subject...
AND GOOOOOOOO!
Pax Imperius & Pax Dominus
Arash a.k.a. "Chuck Norris of PVP"

Jadescythe
11.13.2012 , 12:17 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by TridusSWTOR View Post

Derp.
Any stun, root, mezz, or decent ability to kite completely negates UR. I'm not saying it isn't a strong ability, but unlike Sins, this can only be used when you are absolutely about to die unless you want to do half the opponents work for them.
I have opinions and stuff

TridusSWTOR
11.13.2012 , 12:18 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by AsiriusNazriel View Post
Operatives and Scoundrels get a 3 second god mode as well, I have YET to hear anyone complain about it. Go ahead... complain about it buddy, I want to hear some QQ goodness out of you on this subject...
AND GOOOOOOOO!
Because they get a 3 sec god mode....that's it.

Let's check out marauders though:

God mode
Invis + dmg reduction
Cloak of pain
Saber ward
Self heals

Let's keep comparing Ops vs marauders though and see who wins the OP challenge.
Every post when you try to defend marauders just backfires for you. At least you aren't bringing PVE into the mix to help you defend your OP class.

xxIncubixx
11.13.2012 , 12:19 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Obliterate is 10 meters, and it does not interrupt - only immobilize.

As for "no such thing as ranged advantage" - yes there is, and it can be capitalized upon. There's also positional advantage, which I fully execute when running my Sniper (MM), Gunslinger (Engi\Engi hybrid) and Sage (bubblestun hybrid) in PvP. There are also some Ops fights that are distinctly more ranged-friendly than melee-friendly.

It's not black and white. Far from it.
no just no there is no ranged in this game.

xxIncubixx
11.13.2012 , 12:20 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Mcnoober View Post
Every class has the potental to be "OP" ive done it with my Gaurdian my Vangaurd and my Comando.
i stopped reading there

Helig
11.13.2012 , 12:22 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by AsiriusNazriel View Post
AND GOOOOOOOO!
100% immunity to white, *or* yellow attacks, is, by definition, not "god mode". No class gets full immunity to both damage and CC. UR shields against all damage, Shroud protects against 99.9% CC and 100% yellow damage, Evasion provides "immunity" to white damage (they still can, theoretically, be hit by special attacks at accuracy greater than 90% and basic attacks at accuracy greater than 100%).
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

cycao
11.13.2012 , 12:23 PM | #100
Any stun, root, mezz, or decent ability to kite completely negates UR. I'm not saying it isn't a strong ability, but unlike Sins, this can only be used when you are absolutely about to die unless you want to do half the opponents work for them.
I wouldn't call it god mode. Only 3 seconds and all classes have weapon based damage (some hit pretty darn hard) but eh, I can counter shroud/resilience with a nice low slash and dance around them while the effect wares off.