Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

(Sniper) Does it get better?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
(Sniper) Does it get better?

Sideblaze
11.12.2012 , 03:21 PM | #1
Hey, This isn't some post whining about how "X is overpowered than Y, Nerf Z." or "These people are being too tactical, nerf grouping"

I'm just curious. My sniper hit 50 yesterday, go and is my favorite one yet, However he's also my only toon i really PVP with Grabbed the recruit gear, and i notice that even the tanks seem to hit me for 5000k(+) easily, while i can't even pray to get a 2500.

I'm pretty sure i'm playing my class "Right" Maybe not the optimal rotation. But i know i'm probably not doing anything -wrong-

Example: I see an assassin coming for me, I cover pulse him, hit him with crit snipe >Ambush> FT and he doesn't even lose a quarter of his health. Now all my heavy hitters are on cooldown, He's fine, and then proceeds to hit me for 10k in a 5-second interval. Shield does nothing, Die instantly.

I know recruit gear sucks, But once i get Battlemaster will i finally be able to dish out the hurt? Or will i still get stomped, Just -less- stomped? I can handle getting focused, but when i have the range advantage, I'd like to think the sniper could handle 1v1 very easily.

If the battlemaster gear will -really- help me out, What would be the best upgrade path to take? Field tech or medic? The only BM gear i have is the Enforcer's Sniper Rifle, Everything else is recruit (For pvp)

Edit: Guess i should -probably- post my spec, I run pure marksman with energy tanks and the crit talent from lethality.

Assuming each one is played correctly, are lethality and marksman on equal ground for PVP? Other topics with that argument really seem to lack any data.

cycao
11.12.2012 , 03:26 PM | #2
Well you will do less than great damage against darkness/KC players simply because well as you said they are tanks and yes recruit against warhero you will feel the hurt. From what I read (I do not play sniper or GS so this is from the forums and players I know that play the class) assassins seem to be a good counter for snipers but once you start to get more pieces of BM and eventually WH you have amazing damage potential so keep your head up with a few weeks of some effort (I know its a game and people don't want to hear that word) things will get better.

Zunayson
11.12.2012 , 03:27 PM | #3
you want max power, and the FT set bonus is usually pretty helpful.

I get Field Medic belt/bracers/offhand/mainhand

GET WAR HERO MAINHAND FIRST! You will want it! Also, augment all that BM gear up! you will be glad you did! Do your pve credit dailies in between Q times or after your pvp dailies are done (No point in playing on my server since I'm always getting steamed by premades). you'll be able to augment about 2 things per character (I have 4 fifties, for example, so I can afford to full augment 8 pieces and everything each day. That's 1 mil a day, but ofc I don't have that time, so I make about 1/3 of that lol).

TL;DR Yes augment your bm, get WH mainhand, and get money with dailies
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao
Next time you hear about someone getting raped ask them if it was like PvP in an MMO.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

Sideblaze
11.12.2012 , 03:30 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
Well you will do less than great damage against darkness/KC players simply because well as you said they are tanks and yes recruit against warhero you will feel the hurt. From what I read (I do not play sniper or GS so this is from the forums and players I know that play the class) assassins seem to be a good counter for snipers but once you start to get more pieces of BM and eventually WH you have amazing damage potential so keep your head up with a few weeks of some effort (I know its a game and people don't want to hear that word) things will get better.
Will i NEED the Warhero gear or could i live on BM without getting *****?
And from my understanding, i thought Sins countered us because they had stealth, When i cover pulsed one + entrenched i atleast expected him to pop a CD, Nope, Just tanked it. Blah.

Does entrench protect against knockback? No issues with it so far, But i don't want to be suprised.

Zunayson
11.12.2012 , 03:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sideblaze View Post
Will i NEED the Warhero gear or could i live on BM without getting *****?
And from my understanding, i thought Sins countered us because they had stealth, When i cover pulsed one + entrenched i atleast expected him to pop a CD, Nope, Just tanked it. Blah.

Does entrench protect against knockback? No issues with it so far, But i don't want to be suprised.
entrench protects against all things except for diversion which is mm snipers only

it doesn't work with natural cover, along with ballistic shield.
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao
Next time you hear about someone getting raped ask them if it was like PvP in an MMO.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

Sideblaze
11.12.2012 , 03:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
entrench protects against all things except for diversion which is mm snipers only

it doesn't work with natural cover, along with ballistic shield.
For a recruit sniper, Would you recommend lethality or Marksman? I like them both, I just leveled as marksman, so i feel more comfort with that, But i can adjust if lethal is needed as a recruit.

smellmop
11.12.2012 , 03:41 PM | #7
it gets better....but you should be getting better than 2.5 on aim shot / ambush with recruit gear on vs. most of your enemies.
Try hunting those sages/inquistors and sent/maras.
Also try a different spec ....engineer/sab is a great pvp class. You get some nice burst, slows, and an extra stun....also switches up much of your kinetic damage for elemental which is useful vs players. Granted it is not a spec to duel folks with, but know your role slow, stun and aoe the masses around the objective points and you can be very effective.
Or go hybrid sab/df (engineer/lethality) you can get some amazing burst with that. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#40...bRoZG0rkrMhd.2
-Tarro Blood -> Corellian Run -> The Shadowlands-
Gunslinger: Hasenbensoba Vanguard: Ajmurphy; Scoundrel: Obi'haave; Sorcerer: Impossibreu Guardian: Shrėk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=labL_KAD2rk

Sideblaze
11.12.2012 , 03:59 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by smellmop View Post
it gets better....but you should be getting better than 2.5 on aim shot / ambush with recruit gear on vs. most of your enemies.
Try hunting those sages/inquistors and sent/maras.
Also try a different spec ....engineer/sab is a great pvp class. You get some nice burst, slows, and an extra stun....also switches up much of your kinetic damage for elemental which is useful vs players. Granted it is not a spec to duel folks with, but know your role slow, stun and aoe the masses around the objective points and you can be very effective.
Or go hybrid sab/df (engineer/lethality) you can get some amazing burst with that. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#40...bRoZG0rkrMhd.2
So, Engineering has basically been the one i really don't like much, I mean, yes, it has really good uses, but it doesn't "Feel" right to me. But i can adjust i suppose.

So basically, i should be an engy atleast until i get some decent gear?

Technohic
11.12.2012 , 04:01 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sideblaze View Post
For a recruit sniper, Would you recommend lethality or Marksman? I like them both, I just leveled as marksman, so i feel more comfort with that, But i can adjust if lethal is needed as a recruit.
Engineering. Don't worry about killing people. Just use your Plasma probe and whatever else you can to prevent caps. Also get a little more defense.

Advice I got myself.

FourTwent
11.12.2012 , 04:15 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
you want max power
Max Power!