Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Only issue with Disney.

ZoeTuah
11.11.2012 , 06:21 PM | #1
From what I know of Disney, I expect it will have been a smart move. However, I have one major issue.

Disney has a very harsh history of shutting down fan work.

Star Wars is a highly fan-driven series. Lucas himself personally observed face-to-face many violations of his intellection property, and was proud of what he saw. The series has become deeply rooted into our modern pop culture, and it would be a disaster if Disney treated Star Wars the way they treat much of their IP.

Do you expect Disney will do the smart thing and leave fans well enough alone? Or do you expect they'll cause problems for us?

Jiminison
11.11.2012 , 06:53 PM | #2
All I know about disney and mmo's is while I was waiting for swtor and fed up with wow. They bought UTV Games and shut down almost all the games they had going including the game Faxion (6 months old) which I loved and since then the Austin part of UTV has not produced anything since from what I can tell . While I was seething I read they were buying out small studios and publishers and just shutting them down. So who knows what will happen. I am still p.o'd about Faxion!

bahdasz
11.11.2012 , 09:13 PM | #3
Disney sucks, star wars is ruined... move along, move along

kirorx
11.11.2012 , 09:49 PM | #4
I hear you.

But with the clone wars cartoon out there, i dont feel that much of the EU has been safe anyway.

Greedo is an old vet by the time he meets Han and the mandalorians, well they are alot different as well.

There has already been a great deal of changes.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

sstanks
11.12.2012 , 06:09 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ZoeTuah View Post
From what I know of Disney, I expect it will have been a smart move. However, I have one major issue.

Disney has a very harsh history of shutting down fan work.

Star Wars is a highly fan-driven series. Lucas himself personally observed face-to-face many violations of his intellection property, and was proud of what he saw. The series has become deeply rooted into our modern pop culture, and it would be a disaster if Disney treated Star Wars the way they treat much of their IP.

Do you expect Disney will do the smart thing and leave fans well enough alone? Or do you expect they'll cause problems for us?
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/par...-wars-weekend/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4HlOkvV_U

not an issue.

Thylbanus
11.12.2012 , 07:33 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
All I know about disney and mmo's is while I was waiting for swtor and fed up with wow. They bought UTV Games and shut down almost all the games they had going including the game Faxion (6 months old) which I loved and since then the Austin part of UTV has not produced anything since from what I can tell . While I was seething I read they were buying out small studios and publishers and just shutting them down. So who knows what will happen. I am still p.o'd about Faxion!
So you think that they bought Lucasfilm to shut them down? They are hardly a "small studio." Fine, fine, you're upset about Faxion, but it seems that that is all. I don't have any idea what this has to do with the OP.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Jiminison
11.12.2012 , 09:48 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
So you think that they bought Lucasfilm to shut them down? They are hardly a "small studio." Fine, fine, you're upset about Faxion, but it seems that that is all. I don't have any idea what this has to do with the OP.
No but they have no problem closing things down early in it's running Swtor>Faxion but with all the negative talk about swtor you think I trust them nor would i want to put money or time into something that could be easily shut down. Hopefully they can address any concerns. I have no idea why you care about my reply you have no part in my experience with Disney absolutely none!

Craile
11.12.2012 , 10:25 AM | #8
To the OP, we won't know how it will go until it happens. I have a Star Wars fan fiction blog. Though I have taken a break from it, I do plan to continue publishing stories there at some point. But if they shut it down, atleast I had fun doing it.

sstanks
11.12.2012 , 10:33 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
No but they have no problem closing things down early in it's running Swtor>Faxion but with all the negative talk about swtor you think I trust them nor would i want to put money or time into something that could be easily shut down. Hopefully they can address any concerns. I have no idea why you care about my reply you have no part in my experience with Disney absolutely none!
couple things.

1. Disney didn't buy EA.
2. EA has a contract to license out Star Wars odds are its at least a 5 year contract starting after release.
3. As long as EA has the contract Disney gets the money so it doesn't help them to shut it down.

Thylbanus
11.13.2012 , 12:10 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
couple things.

1. Disney didn't buy EA.
2. EA has a contract to license out Star Wars odds are its at least a 5 year contract starting after release.
3. As long as EA has the contract Disney gets the money so it doesn't help them to shut it down.
Exactly. EA has signed an agreement that licences them to produce the Star Wars IP and should Disney try to pull the licensing early, it would be a breach of contract that would cost Disney millions. Having bad publicity isn't something Disney avoids, breaching contracts as a standard makes them less appealing to do business with. While Disney can do a lot, it can't do everything on it's own. For example, the next 3 movies will have to be done with Fox, even though Disney has Touchstone. This is due to the licensing. Just like Star Trek must be done with CBS' approval. Disney puts no money into this game, nor does Lucasfilm/Lucas Arts. They just recieve money as part of the licensing contract with creative oversight.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson