Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

killer_kam's Avatar


killer_kam
11.09.2012 , 02:31 AM | #961
I just want to put it out there, that unless there's a unified view on what steps should be taken to rectify the problem, we're not going to have a good outcome.

Given the infighting seen of late as to the various options, I'd like to suggest we take the decision away from the community and accept a forced server merger, with options to transfer after the fact.

It's pretty clear that if free or paid transfers were offered we'd be in a similar position due to the differences in opinion around ping times, PvP/PvE/RP server types, hell even what server to migrate to. The only path forward I can see that will work for the community as a whole is to force the merger upon us, then if you don't like it, transfer off to a US/EU server at your discretion.

HauksbokT's Avatar


HauksbokT
11.09.2012 , 11:20 AM | #962
Quote: Originally Posted by killer_kam View Post
I just want to put it out there, that unless there's a unified view on what steps should be taken to rectify the problem, we're not going to have a good outcome.

Given the infighting seen of late as to the various options, I'd like to suggest we take the decision away from the community and accept a forced server merger, with options to transfer after the fact.

It's pretty clear that if free or paid transfers were offered we'd be in a similar position due to the differences in opinion around ping times, PvP/PvE/RP server types, hell even what server to migrate to. The only path forward I can see that will work for the community as a whole is to force the merger upon us, then if you don't like it, transfer off to a US/EU server at your discretion.
Really that's what should've happen 2 months ago.

killer_kam's Avatar


killer_kam
11.11.2012 , 03:49 AM | #963
Quote: Originally Posted by HauksbokT View Post
Really that's what should've happen 2 months ago.
Totally. All this discussion around other "options" just confuses matters though.

Cheezfriend's Avatar


Cheezfriend
11.11.2012 , 05:34 PM | #964
I am going to edit/update this thread in the next few days.

Will be interesting to see how F2P impacts the APAC servers... saying that I am not holding my breath.

Chaori's Avatar


Chaori
11.11.2012 , 05:36 PM | #965
For those that have already gone to The Bastion, over the past week I have seen heaps of people returning to the game that have been unsubbed. Last night we had almost 90 people on the fleet, and my guild had 42 online. There were also 3 WZs running and several guilds doing RWZs.

I'd recommend coming back to the Oceanic servers for the next week or so and see how things play out.

Ailie's Avatar


Ailie
11.11.2012 , 06:27 PM | #966
There's heaps happening on Gav Daragon as well, World PvP will be happening on Friday nights from now on, with ranked teams queueing from Ilum to give those that miss pops something to do whilst waiting in queue. Should be fun
The Azure Wings of Dawn - Against All Odds
azurewingsofdawn.enjin.com

Evgen's Avatar


Evgen
11.11.2012 , 06:57 PM | #967
Quote: Originally Posted by scullzomben View Post
You honestly think that?

There is still at least 70 per faction online on MDN of a night. With obviously Dalborra and Gav being higher, do you really think they would just shut down ALL three of the APAC servers, and ship those 400+ people back to US, when a single server would be a much better solution.
Yes. That's only $2100 worth of subscriptions, if everyone is paying monthly, less if they have longer term subscriptions. I can assure you it cost more to run a server than that. It's likely a cluster of servers, the server cost itself broken down over 3 years with premium support is possibly more than that. Not to mention the high speed internet connection and network equipment, power usage.
I know there are more people subbing than online at any one time, I'm just saying, those numbers aren't that impressive.

And about whether or not so encourage people to play on APAC, I couldn't encourage them without warning them that they may get shafted by playing there. I couldn't try to trick people into playing there for my benefit. I don't believe APAC players get the service level we deserve as paying customers, how could I recommend that?
I would have trouble recommending this game at all actually. Not because I don't like it, but because with this management I can't see it lasting long, possibly intentional.
Academy Exemplar - Begeren Colony (formerly Gav Daragon)
Rhyn Lor - 50 Scoundrel Reizz - 50 Guardian (Vyn) A'sara - 50 Sorcerer
The Lor Legacy

Cheezfriend's Avatar


Cheezfriend
11.11.2012 , 07:27 PM | #968
Quote: Originally Posted by Evgen View Post
Yes. That's only $2100 worth of subscriptions, if everyone is paying monthly, less if they have longer term subscriptions. I can assure you it cost more to run a server than that. It's likely a cluster of servers, the server cost itself broken down over 3 years with premium support is possibly more than that. Not to mention the high speed internet connection and network equipment, power usage.
I know there are more people subbing than online at any one time, I'm just saying, those numbers aren't that impressive.

And about whether or not so encourage people to play on APAC, I couldn't encourage them without warning them that they may get shafted by playing there. I couldn't try to trick people into playing there for my benefit. I don't believe APAC players get the service level we deserve as paying customers, how could I recommend that?
I would have trouble recommending this game at all actually. Not because I don't like it, but because with this management I can't see it lasting long, possibly intentional.
Great post mate!!! Had to reply to this!

The only thing I dont agree on is the last sentence... but then again stranger things have happened.

You really got me thinking now about the cost benefit of keeping all three APAC servers open, surely from a business point of view 1 server makes a lot more sense... but then again I have no experience in this area so I wouldnt have a clue but the above poster makes alot of sense to someone like me.

I also 100% agree in the following...

Quote: Originally Posted by Evgen View Post
And about whether or not so encourage people to play on APAC, I couldn't encourage them without warning them that they may get shafted by playing there. I couldn't try to trick people into playing there for my benefit. I don't believe APAC players get the service level we deserve as paying customers, how could I recommend that?
Now a lot of people have actually sent me private messages or whispered me in game about my negativity about our servers... I'm sorry but I only want the best outcome for all us APAC people and having three servers open with minimal population just doesnt cut it sorry... Now I know a lot of you will disagree with me here but look at it this way...

On well populated servers you get instant WZ pops, ranked are always running. You que for a FP for 5-30 minutes max as DPS, instantly for tank and heals. There is world PVP even on POPULATED PVE servers (i have got into quite a few scuffles on a US PVE server as a level 30)and this usually does not need to be organised through forum posts etc, with the exception of world pvp events. People are always pugging Operations too!***edit forgot to mention they also have thriving GTNs!***

We may get the above with ONE UNITED APAC server however even with F2P, i just cant ever seeing the above in green happening on the APAC servers in their current state, sorry to say this but i'm just saying how it is.

HauksbokT's Avatar


HauksbokT
11.11.2012 , 09:19 PM | #969
I couldn't agree more chippy, there is absolutely no negative in these posts either.

It really is nothing but truth tbh. Truth may hurt, but it still doesn't take the fact that chippy, or any other contributer to this thread are trying to get awareness into this situation so that we may experience what EVERY other servers experience.

Ailie's Avatar


Ailie
11.11.2012 , 09:24 PM | #970
Quote: Originally Posted by Cheezfriend View Post

On well populated servers you get instant WZ pops, ranked are always running. You que for a FP for 5-30 minutes max as DPS, instantly for tank and heals. There is world PVP even on POPULATED PVE servers (i have got into quite a few scuffles on a US PVE server as a level 30)and this usually does not need to be organised through forum posts etc, with the exception of world pvp events. People are always pugging Operations too!***edit forgot to mention they also have thriving GTNs!***

We may get the above with ONE UNITED APAC server however even with F2P, i just cant ever seeing the above in green happening on the APAC servers in their current state, sorry to say this but i'm just saying how it is.
Yes and you get abused for being in-character as an RPer. I've rolled an alt on Dalborra, it was not a pleasant experience.

Of course it wouldn't be an issue with cross server queues which is still my preferred solution. If not that, transfers to servers of choice (US RP), but NOT a server merge.
The Azure Wings of Dawn - Against All Odds
azurewingsofdawn.enjin.com