Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Single Target SS DPS Question

Sorripto
11.03.2012 , 11:06 AM | #1
Ok so I have been reading through the forums and the many topics on advanced class specs. My question has to do with single damage dps from a saboteur. As a sab tree you get shock charge and can stack contingency charges on a single target and they amount to large amounts (granted mostly DoT) single target dps. In practice I have been better at taking down mobs with Sab for both the AoE and the single target stacks from the charges then I have been with SS. Can someone please explain what makes SS so burst heavy that it can take out single targets better I fear I am playing the tree incorrectly.

CharagonIGN
11.04.2012 , 03:32 AM | #2
SS is heavily dependent on your rotation. Making sure you're using the right ability at the right time (Such as making sure you're not using Aimed Shot until after you've used Charged Burst). Mind your abilities and your cooldowns. You should be fine.

Zunayson
11.04.2012 , 11:58 AM | #3
SS is so burst heavy when certain abilities are chained together. The highest burst move we have is Aimed shot, and this should only be used with quick aim. I find if Smuggler's luck is on cd, and your charged burst didn't crit, then using speed shot is nice to get quick aim because it should have a theoretical chance of procing by 100% if you only have 25% crit chance, which you should have at least 35.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

ezrafetch
11.11.2012 , 09:11 AM | #4
If you haven't been leading off with it, Flourish Shot helps the SS tree much more than the Sab/DF trees, given how much more pewpew the SS tree has compared to the others. If you go full SS, a flow of Speed Shot (crit) into Aimed Shot (Quick Aim proc) into Trickshot, has crazy burst, especially if you can nab crits on Aimed Shot and Trickshot. Not only that, once you get into the execute, Quickdraw's super-crits will deal insane damage. It really is proc-dependent, since you'll need to balance Trickshots, Quickdraws, etc etc. I leveled full SS and when your abilities chain together like that, enemies don't live long at all.

I will, however, dispute the notion that Aimed Shot is only to be used with the Quick Aim proc. See here for the reasoning. Not only does it yield more damage overall, but there are plenty of times where hardcasting Aimed Shot allows you to regenerate away from the 60% threshold (i.e. if you're at 63E, I'd much rather hardcast Aimed Shot and stay in the 6Eps bracket rather than use a Charged Burst and fall out of the 6Eps bracket and have to use Flurries to get back in, which would be a huge DPS loss).