Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: The Mandalorian Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: The Mandalorian Wars

Maaruin
11.09.2012 , 05:33 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Option 2 was if the Jedi completely abstained from the war. Not fighting no matter what, even going so far as fleeing the Mandalorians.

The Republic would have lost without the Jedi. When Revan brought the Jedi into the war, Republic recruitment skyrocketed. Morale went through the roof. If Option 2 occurred, the Republic would have lost, eventually. The Mandalorians were employing a brilliant strategy that allowed Mandalore to play the Republic like an instrument.
The recruitment skyrocketed because Revan gave them new hope. But I think if the Mandalorians would have taken a World like Corellia or Alderaan, the recruitment also would have skyrocketed out of desperation. The Empire did underestimate how willing Republic citizens are to fight for their freedom and I think the Mandalorians would have done the same.

Quote:
Let me ask you all a few questions.

Do you feel Revan was right to go to war?
Do you think his actions during the war were right?
No. But doing nothing would have been wrong too. He had to choose between two evils.

No, definitly not. He became worse and worse during the war.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Aurbere
11.09.2012 , 05:37 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
All I can say is they would have a chat, a long long chat. I can almost see it now, Kreia and Yoda perched on rocks amongst the vines and marshes of Dagobah... I have a funny feeling they'd get on :P Kreia likes smart people.

She's a human wrecker ball, a troublemaker. Every where she goes she starts questioning people and their beliefs and then they get angry and she messes them about. Hence why she got kicked out of pretty much all the clubs, Jedi, Sith, the Ebon Hawk... did she ever make any friends?
If Kreia tones her Insidious Force belief and manipulations down, I'm sure they could find some common ground. Although I think she might lose it seeing what Yoda eats lol

I don't think she made any friends. Even Sion and Nihilus hated her. The Jedi "disapproved" of her teachings. The Ebon Hawk crew rallied against her once her plans came into focus. Being as manipulative as she is, I'm sure she could make friends. She just has to tone down the manipulations.
Added Chapter 40 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Beniboybling
11.09.2012 , 05:39 PM | #93
If Kreia tones her Insidious Force belief and manipulations down, I'm sure they could find some common ground. Although I think she might lose it seeing what Yoda eats lol

I don't think she made any friends. Even Sion and Nihilus hated her. The Jedi "disapproved" of her teachings. The Ebon Hawk crew rallied against her once her plans came into focus. Being as manipulative as she is, I'm sure she could make friends. She just has to tone down the manipulations.
Poor Kreia, all she wanted was to be loved!

Aurbere
11.09.2012 , 05:39 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
The recruitment skyrocketed because Revan gave them new hope. But I think if the Mandalorians would have taken a World like Corellia or Alderaan, the recruitment also would have skyrocketed out of desperation. The Empire did underestimate how willing Republic citizens are to fight for their freedom and I think the Mandalorians would have done the same.

No. But doing nothing would have been wrong too. He had to choose between two evils.

No, definitly not. He became worse and worse during the war.
You are confusing the Mandalorian strategy. They go in, pillage and burn, and take the survivors as slaves or soldiers. And if they can't, they burn it down. The Sith Empire sought conquest, the Mandalorians sought battle and victory.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Aurbere
11.09.2012 , 05:41 PM | #95
Poor Kreia, all she wanted was to be loved!
Lol yeah. Poor Kreia.

Maaruin
11.09.2012 , 06:14 PM | #96
You are confusing the Mandalorian strategy. They go in, pillage and burn, and take the survivors as slaves or soldiers. And if they can't, they burn it down. The Sith Empire sought conquest, the Mandalorians sought battle and victory.
If that's the case, I would think even more that the Republic would have stopped them in the Core Worlds if they would even try to raid them. You can't destroy city worlds this way (the Mandalorians actually occupied Taris and the Tarisians formed a resistance until the planet was freed by Republic forces).
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Aurbere
11.09.2012 , 06:23 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
If that's the case, I would think even more that the Republic would have stopped them in the Core Worlds if they would even try to raid them. You can't destroy city worlds this way (the Mandalorians actually occupied Taris and the Tarisians formed a resistance until the planet was freed by Republic forces).
I think the Republic would resist for quite some time, but by this time the Mandalorians would have heavily outnumbered the Republic (by means of conscription) and would have many more supplies available to them. Once they hit the Core, the Republic would only delay the inevitable. I have no doubt that they would put up a good fight, but they would lose eventually.

Beniboybling
11.10.2012 , 07:14 AM | #98
I think the Republic would resist for quite some time, but by this time the Mandalorians would have heavily outnumbered the Republic (by means of conscription) and would have many more supplies available to them. Once they hit the Core, the Republic would only delay the inevitable. I have no doubt that they would put up a good fight, but they would lose eventually.
I would disagree. The Mandalorians aren't even a nation - they are a nomadic, barbaric tribe who's culture revolves around war. I can't see them keeping hold of the Core Worlds which would need government and policing - I mean do you think the Mandalorians would be equipped to deal with the Cold War uprising on Coreilla? Even the Empire couldn't handle that. I believe as the war begins to peter out, and the Mandalorians begin encroaching on the core worlds, they would begin to fall apart, fighting each other and fighting insurgencies. And the Republic would eal the killing blow. Ultimately they could not govern a galaxy.

MasterMe
11.10.2012 , 09:16 AM | #99
I would disagree. The Mandalorians aren't even a nation - they are a nomadic, barbaric tribe who's culture revolves around war. I can't see them keeping hold of the Core Worlds which would need government and policing - I mean do you think the Mandalorians would be equipped to deal with the Cold War uprising on Coreilla? Even the Empire couldn't handle that. I believe as the war begins to peter out, and the Mandalorians begin encroaching on the core worlds, they would begin to fall apart, fighting each other and fighting insurgencies. And the Republic would eal the killing blow. Ultimately they could not govern a galaxy.
Good point.

I have no doubt that the Mandos could have conquered the Core worlds, but it's unlikely that they could have held on to them.

Aurbere
11.10.2012 , 09:31 AM | #100
The Mandalorians have never governed anything they conquered, really. They go in, kill any resistance and recruit the survivors. If they didn't do this, they wouldn't be able to maintain the war effort. They wouldn't even have been able to go to war if they didn't recruit people. The Mandalorian clans had taken a huge hit after the Exar Kun debacle, so they had to recruit in order to effectively maintain the war effort.

They have never been about conquering. They would take over a planet, take what they want and leave. And if they can't take what they want, they bombard the planet. Look at Serocco. They devastated the planet. If the Corellia uprising happened to the Mandalorians, they would have bombarded the planet.

And I don't think the Republic would be able to retake the Core worlds as effectively as you think. By this time, the Mandalorians would have utterly outnumbered the Republic forces and have the Core Worlds surrounded, slowly moving inward. Once the Mandalorians hit the Core, the Republic would be doomed without the Jedi.