Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Axes? Really?

kmontyw
11.09.2012 , 08:16 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Do you one better, they were in ROTJ.
The issue of manufacturing lore to fit game mechanics is kind of my point. It's always (always) a bad idea. The only games that got the Jedi/Star Wars experience right were the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games. In an MMO, you would have had to exclude the "class" from players to avoid diluting and diminishing it to fit gameplay balance concerns. SWG initially were on the right track with their approach, but players tantrumed so much they changed things.

So, the point of magical metals ("sciencified" to make them somehow believable) actually makes my point for me. You can create any sort of device within lore that you want to, and manufacture any sort of explanation as to why it exists. That doesn't prevent it diluting and reducing the universe - which is always does. It takes real courage to maintain a fictitious universe and keep it authentic to itself. I agree that Star Wars passed that point years ago with the prequels.

None of which stops Jedis using axes instead of lightsabres from being a fatal undermining of the things that made the original Jedi idea, and the original Star Wars universe so compelling.
I am an international man of mystery... or am I

simplius
11.09.2012 , 08:19 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by MelodicSixNine View Post
Well OP I guess you could call it... the axe effect
HOOOO,,,easy there fella,,more remarks , like that , and im TELLING MICKEY

simplius
11.09.2012 , 08:22 PM | #113
yup,,some of jabbas guards have them,,and we all know , how effective gamorreans are ,,,right?

JettrikRyflix
11.09.2012 , 08:33 PM | #114
To be fair, the Jedi never used them in ROTJ... they could in KOTOR.

Eillack
11.09.2012 , 08:35 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by JettrikRyflix View Post
And Kotor II

Cut me up a lot of of enemies.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Wolfninjajedi
11.09.2012 , 08:43 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by JettrikRyflix View Post
But they were in ROTJ, may have only been used by the gammorans but they were there. So enough of this "this isn't WoW" stuff, ROTJ beat WoW in introducing axes into Star Wars lore.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

kmontyw
11.09.2012 , 08:49 PM | #117
But they were in ROTJ, may have only been used by the gammorans but they were there. So enough of this "this isn't WoW" stuff, ROTJ beat WoW in introducing axes into Star Wars lore.
Axes are fine. Jedis trading lightsabres for metal axes is the issue. The fact that quite a few don't immediately understand that, and why, emphasizes the point. Rather painfully, btw.
I am an international man of mystery... or am I

Slurmez
11.09.2012 , 08:56 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by kmontyw View Post
Axes are fine. Jedis trading lightsabres for metal axes is the issue. The fact that quite a few don't immediately understand that, and why, emphasizes the point. Rather painfully, btw.
I recall a Star Wars Tales issue where Darth Maul went to fight some old jedi who used nothing but a wooden stick, it was elegant and appropriate I thought, In a similar vein I have no issues with players/jedi/sith wanting to use weapons other than glow sticks (my "guardian" is a force sensitive troooper and uses a vibroblade for example)

I do have an issue with the ugly design and shape of said axes and how they fit in with the animations (badly to say the least) I just dont get what they were thinking of.

Wolfninjajedi
11.09.2012 , 09:00 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by kmontyw View Post
Its game mechanics, who cares? It ain't lore, its just something to have fun..not everything needs to be tied down to lore, so don't understand why its an issue at all.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Slurmez
11.09.2012 , 09:02 PM | #120
The animations look fine.
How does it look fine? Is everyone going to be permanently "using the force" to bend the laws of physics to accommodate wielding such axes? Or is there a section of jedi dedicated to nothing but wrist exercises in order to flail them around? (make of that what you will) Or are they made of some super light material that means they weigh hardly anything? In which case why would they be shaped like that and be used by gammoreans?

As I said, if these fugly axes are acceptable, why not go the whole hog and throw in buster swords?