Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Login Service Not Available part umptieth?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Login Service Not Available part umptieth?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HollyUSEC
11.05.2012 , 01:07 AM | #1
I'm sure this has been posted a hundred times before, and I apologize for starting yet another new thread. It's late, I'm tired, I'm not feeling well and I don't have the self-discipline to run a dozen different keywords through the search, re-arranging those keywords in a hundred different combinations.

Soon as the client launches, the login window blacks out and it says that the login service is unavailable. I've heard that this is an effect many people have experienced due to ISP backbone issues resulting from Hurricane Sandy. My guild posted instructions on entering Open DNS settings to fix the problem.

Well, I did this, and those Open DNS settings are still listed in my network settings in the proper place. Except, my login screen still blacks out instantly and the same message, "Login Service Not available" appears.

I'll be calling my ISP tomorrow to see if they have anything to input, but I'm also posting here to see if anyone here has anything to input.

I'm sure a lot of people have demanded at least a few days of extra free service before their billion period renews. I'll freely admit that I"m none too inclined myself to pay for a service that I"m not receiving. The problem is, it's not so simple if the issue is on my ISP's end. If BioWare's login servers are available to enough OTHER people, they have the legitimate argument that it's not their fault and they're holding up their end of the bargain. And I have no idea what the "resolution" would be in that instance.

So for now, I"m just trying to find out as much information as I can, and see if I can make that connection to the login servers. I'll be talking to my ISP in the morning. If anyone has anything to offer here, please do so. I can say that setting up Open DNS servers hasn't worked.

Holly
W T F = F T W spelled backward.

Bronholz
11.05.2012 , 01:11 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings HollyUSEC,

Thanks for contacting us.

This issue can be caused if the Time, Date or Timezone on your computer doesn't match that set under your account. Please check these settings on your computer to make sure they are correct.

Something you can also try is downloading the latest version of the launcher and setup files from here, as this has been known to resolve the issue.

Thanks for your patience
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

HollyUSEC
11.05.2012 , 01:24 AM | #3
Bronholz, I downloaded the latest version from your link and ran the installation program again, and the launcher still immediately blacked out. Login Service unavailable. Do I need to uninstall my current game client before re-installing from the latest version files?

Also, my computer's date/time settings are correct taking into account daylight savings time ending yesterday. How do I check the settings for my account? All I can find in my account settings here on the website are that it lists my time zone as GMT -5.

Bronholz
11.05.2012 , 01:49 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi again HollyUSEC,

If the time on your computer and the timezone in your account settings is correct, then this is fine and won't be the issue.

Something you can try is deleting your Patch folder and and then running fixlauncher.exe. You can find these under the following filepath:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

I'd also like you to run a TraceRoute and PathPing, but instead of the provided IP address please use 'Launchpad.swtor.com'.

Having Open DNS settings can sometimes cause problems. I understand why you changed them, but we would generally recommend that you keep them as default.

Thanks.

HollyUSEC
11.05.2012 , 06:54 AM | #5
Bronholz, every time I type the tracert command in with > C:\tracert.txt at the end, I get absolutely nothing but "Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied Access Denied."

I'll see if I can just type tracert Launchpad.swtor.com and type out the output manually in Notepad, but it will take some time.

EDIT: I figured it out. Windows 7 is outrageously tantrum-y in absolutely **DEMANDING** that files be ***ONLY*** saved in "My Documents." I swear sometimes it threatens absolute corruption of every single byte of data on my hard drive when I try to force it to save something ANYWHERE else.

Anyway, here is the TRACERT information:

Spoiler

And PATHPING:

Spoiler

Hope this helps.

Bronholz
11.05.2012 , 04:12 PM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thanks for getting this information,

From your PathPing I can see that you are losing a lot of packets on the first hop, this could be part of what is causing the issue you are encountering.

Are you using a wireless or wired connection? If wireless would it be possible to plug directly into the router? This could improve the situation so please try this.

If this doesn't improve, before we go any further, we would recommend contacting your ISP to see if they can shed some light on why you are experiencing this packet loss.

Thanks for your patience.

HollyUSEC
11.09.2012 , 04:44 PM | #7
I spoke with customer service for my ISP and they had the following to say:

1. If there was any problem on their end, ALL of my internet service would be affected. If there was any packet loss in the traceroute on their end, just contacting them online would have been very difficult, and since my phone service also goes through my cable modem, I might have no phone service either. But everything EXCEPT my SWTOR game client works perfectly normal.

2. I showed them the traceroute log and they said they recognize all of the hop IP addresses as theirs up to step 8. Step 8 also happens to be the first step where the latency shoots up from 10 ms to near 25. The "Request Timed Out" in Steps 6 and 7 is because some routers simply ignore pings.

3. They had me do a pathping to the Yahoo website and the first step also shows a 98% out of 100 loss. They explained that some pings are simply blocked. Yet when I try to access Yahoo in my browser it comes up instantaneously and completely normally. If there really WAS a 98% packet loss, the website would have come up, "Cannot find server."

I don't have a router, just a cable modem provided by my ISP. The tech send a signal to it and found that it worked perfectly well.

Given all of this, there CAN"T be any kind of problem on their end. If it's not on your end either, then there has to be some "middleman" step where the problem is occurring and I need to positively identify who it is.

I'm going to be calling Bioware tech support as well to see if they have anything to add.

Before I reached my ISP, I tried completely uninstalling the game client, and then defragging my hard drive and restarting Windows, before re-installing the game. This did not work either; "login service unavailable" immediately replaced the login screen soon as the client launched.

I also tried temporarily disabling my firewall software just in case. That didn't help either. Nor did the firewall software give me any trouble with SWTOR prior to my starting this thread.

I ran another traceroute and here's the output, it looks pretty much the same as the previous one...

Spoiler

To further demonstrate point 3 in my post, here is a pathping to the website for Optimum Online for New York. They're my internet provider. I spoke with two of their customer service agents through the website chat feature, no latency or problems of any kind, but note the pathping results.

Spoiler