Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Meet the Developers: Hall Hood

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Meet the Developers: Hall Hood
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bynt
11.08.2012 , 12:27 PM | #71
Hi Mr. Hall. Thanks for the insight and taking the time to answer some questions. Always cool to learn about about such amazing artists. Best of luck to you moving forward!

Vicen
11.08.2012 , 12:31 PM | #72
Hall Hood...wow what a name...Bet he got picked on a lot during school with that ridiculous name!
Swooping...is...bad...

chuixupu
11.08.2012 , 01:38 PM | #73
Better than being the 6th Michael and Ashley in your class.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Petnil
11.08.2012 , 04:28 PM | #74
would love to get some "flashback" quests to build on the lore of swtor universe. Sacking of coruscant f.x. or the battle over taris. Are there any plans to expand the lore of our universe ? It could even just be done in a library, but a few lorebuilding quests would be nice. Some cavern of time type quests or something. Maybe the Voss mystics could give some dream flashback FP thingy..

chuixupu
11.08.2012 , 04:43 PM | #75
That would be pretty cool! I don't want to do any "time travel" stuff, but taking a look into the past with visions and flashbacks would make the story feel a little more complete.

BTW, the Voss vision stuff was some of my favorite parts of the game.

AllisonBerryman
11.09.2012 , 03:47 PM | #76 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi everyone! We have answers from Hall for some of the questions asked in this thread. We're not always able to address all questions, but we appreciate your questions and posts! Thanks for participating, and stay tuned for more Meet the Developers blogs.

Q: Did the writers have any say in who would voice the characters?

Hall: We always offer casting suggestions for every character we create, but the final determination rests with our teammates at LucasArts. For especially high-profile roles - our character classes and companions - we receive audition recordings from multiple actors and choose our favorite from among them. The process has worked out great, as we got some tremendously talented voice actors for our biggest and best roles.

Q: How closely do writers get to work with the voice actors? Is there some degree of coaching, or sharing why you wrote something in the way that you did?

Hall: Before we send our scripts off for recording, BioWare's writers add detailed performance notes for the actors to see when they come to the recording booth. Each individual line has information to help the actor understand the context of the line and what's happening in the overall conversation where it's occurring. Our project was simply too big for writers to get any "studio time" with our voice actors, which is a shame. I would love to meet the actors who brought my heroes and villains to life, one of these days.

Q: In a recent interview, you mentioned you mentioned that the writing direction of the future would be akin to the Avengers, bringing the individual stories together into one epic story. Could you elaborate on what this means for the future?

Hall: I can't reveal anything about our future plans, but we're always experimenting with new styles of storytelling for SWTOR. Some stories work especially well as a great big group team-up where players compete for the spotlight during conversations (hence the Avengers analogy), but that doesn't mean players have to be grouped in order to enjoy them. All of our content that isn't specifically written to be a class story is designed to work equally well whether you're in a group or flying solo.

Q: I'm interested in knowing a little more detail on how you went about working for Bioware as a writer, Mr Hood. What kind of qualifications did you need, and what type of things should an interested person put in their portfolio?

Hall: I had been a professional screenwriter for over a dozen years before applying to BioWare. I had also been an avid gamer my entire life and was especially fond of BioWare's RPGs. On top of that, I was also a massive Star Wars nerd. Of course, being a gamer and Star Wars nerd wouldn't have mattered at all without the time I put into learning the craft of writing. A good portfolio for a prospective game author will demonstrate confidence and talent as a writer, and also show a thorough understanding of the principles of good gameplay and quest design. Writing for games is the most challenging and rewarding creative work I've ever done, but it's definitely not a career path to embark on lightly.

Q: What is in the glass Hall? (referring to the blog photo)

Hall: That, my friend, is a cup full of Sith tears. Sooooo delicious…

chuixupu
11.09.2012 , 03:58 PM | #77
Aw, still no SGR answers, guess it's to be expected.

Thanks for answering my question that I just now realized I had duplicate phrases in. My typos cemented forever.

Tatile
11.09.2012 , 04:03 PM | #78
You know, those answers are actually really boring. This has been the most underwhelming Blog Post by far - I wasn't hoping to be overwhelmed, merely whelmed. I am not whelmed. Hard to feel excited about story content when the lead writer can't make it sound exciting.

Lack of SGRA talk is becoming a sadly hilarious constant.

Costello
11.09.2012 , 04:41 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
You know, those answers are actually really boring. This has been the most underwhelming Blog Post by far - I wasn't hoping to be overwhelmed, merely whelmed. I am not whelmed. Hard to feel excited about story content when the lead writer can't make it sound exciting.

Lack of SGRA talk is becoming a sadly hilarious constant.
Thats the truth. While SGRA aren't that important to me they are to a lot of people yet it was ignored.

Really can't say how much I don't care if an actor got notes or who picked them and as for how you got to work at bioware what does it really matter? You could be a tramped they pulled off the street or Oxford educated it doesn't matter if the stories are good. As for whats in the cup good question really cared about that too.

So all in all bang up job on answering some tough questions there. The game is losing subscriptions and rather than do anything about it or discuss with players what could be done we get this. Not inspiring confidence that cartel boxes aren't a means of wrincing a few more bucks out of players before we go into maintenance mode.

Tatile
11.09.2012 , 04:43 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
Thats the truth. While SGRA aren't that important to me they are to a lot of people yet it was ignored.
Uluain pulled the figures and questions about SGRA's made up around 25% of those in this thread. But it was very important to find out the contents of the mug.

It's really the old weekly Q&A fiasco all over again, but far more niche.