Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guarding?

L-RANDLE
11.09.2012 , 11:41 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
I made the same mistake. turn on logging and upload your log to Mr. Robot.

Enure counts as healing. Focused defense may count as healing.

Do a WZ with no taunts or guards and you will see you have healing numbers but no protection.
I don't think taunts count towards protection... I think its only Guard, and Guardian Leap/Intercede. I could be wrong though.

I wish they had a small real time running WZ stats window in the UI!!!

Can you suggest that to the Devs Allison?
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

tatatan
11.09.2012 , 12:00 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by BA-CannonFodder View Post
I'm new to the mechanics of pvp so I am curious as to whether I should be guarding. For some reason I don't see alot of my allies or enemies using it, so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. On the side note, I am a juggernaut and wondering if I should be dps/def spec. I am currently in a def spec and my total dmg /wz is around 33k and protection 20-50k - I have lag so I am wondering if these are adequate numbers or if my lag is killing my dmg. Ty to all for your help.
read these 2 links, after that, you're good to go :
http://watchmen.activeboard.com/t501...hole-guardian/
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=468757

DroidDreamer
11.09.2012 , 12:20 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
TL;DR
1. If you are in Soresu, always guard people, even DPS.
2. Try hybrid spec, and stay in Soresu.
3. Tweak your playstyle and utility a bit..
4. Profit...
Thanks for the detailed response; I read the whole thing, just quoting the above for brevity.

I am going with a variant of the build recommended by the "Whole Guardian" guide you posted which I had previously read. Lots of people are going for a more DPS oriented Smash build. This is the build I am going for:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#10...zrdZfMd0MZMM.2 (give or take a couple of points here and there).

The CC immunity (and to a lesser degree damage reduction) after force leap is huge. I get almost all of the defensive cooldowns and CC/utility of the immortal tree. Yes, it's not a damage spec but that's not what I am going for. I plan to stack endurance and, to a lesser extent, defense chance as discussed in the guide. I'll be picking up the 2-piece Vindicator (8% heal when you intercede to a friend) set and the 2-piece War Leaders (extra second on Force Choke) set.

Playstyle is currently (I am only lvl 34) as mentioned in the guide. I use guard, taunt and peels (the extra CC and snares really help) to keep healers alive, unless objectives dictate otherwise. If there are no healers, I guard DPS but as you mentioned that's less than optimal. With all the FOTM Smash juggs in lowbie PvP right now, there are lots of times we don't have any healers, unfortunately. But there are plenty of times were my increased hit points/defense chance allows me to survive long enough to stop the cap until defenders arrive and plenty of Huttball games where my defensive CDs/high endurance are the only thing that let allows us to score.

So I am banking on *tanking* which means my DPS numbers will be low with protection/healing high.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.