Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P switch

ekif
11.09.2012 , 07:08 AM | #1
Hello all

I had tried getting an answer via in-game ticket but got a response completely irrelevant to the question so I figured I would try here. My apologies if this seems a stupid question or already answered.

I bought the game last month and am currently on playing the game on my free 30 days of game time. I have 2 characters on the account that are of races not available to free players. I do not plan on subscribing until things improve. My question is will my account be a preferred one or will it become a free one? I'm asking because technically i do not have a paid subscription. Besides those 2 characters, I have other things unlocked that I would most likely lose if my account went free.

Oggthebase
11.09.2012 , 07:31 AM | #2
My guess is that you'll be considered a preferred status customer, as you've been playing the game before it went F2P.

Even in the worst case scenario that your status is downgraded to F2P, you will not lose any of your characters. You'll be able to play them, even if you've selected a race that's not available for F2P people. You just won't be able to create new characters with that race.
The worst that will happen is that you'll be limited to two quickbars and 200000 credits (the rest being put away in the escrow and available again if you resubscribe).

the FAQ is here http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449
but I also remember a recent interview with Blaine Christine (not the second preview released yesterday) where he spoke about the characters already created all being available for the F2P, with specific restrictions coming later ("only 2 characters playable"). Right now if you have more than 2 you can still play them.
Can't find the link though...

ekif
11.09.2012 , 07:35 AM | #3
Thanks for the reply. I had checked the FAQs but everything I saw said active game time and I just wasn't sure if the free game time was considered active. Its good to know I won't lose access to the chars. I had hoped they would have went the LOTRO route in regards to characters were you keep anything you unlocked before F2P (banks spaces, no credit limit, etc) on characters that were created before F2P. I realize though they would have had to exclude trial players otherwise people would have created accounts before F2P.

Telanis
11.09.2012 , 10:57 AM | #4
You have to add a subscription to play, even if you're playing with the free time and haven't been charged yet. Simply don't remove your subscription (credit card or PayPal details) from your account until after the F2P conversion and you'll be considered a subscriber.

If your free time runs out before Nov 15 then you will have to actually pay for another month to be considered a subscriber.

peteed
11.09.2012 , 10:58 AM | #5
Preferred status customer is anyone who bought the game or spends over $499 in the cash shop. so you would be a preferred status customer.

ekif
11.09.2012 , 11:00 AM | #6
Thanks all, the info is much appreciated