Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please stop telling people to press spacebar

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please stop telling people to press spacebar

JediNg
11.09.2012 , 06:55 AM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Prettyevilish View Post
I rolled a DPS as my first toon, so I knew I was easily replaced, which meant that when I was bullied to spacebar, I did so. Some of the stories I got to go back and redo solo when I was over level, but others it's just not possible to do that.

So with my next toon, I teamed up with my BF and he runs tank while I run heals. So now we bully people INTO watching the scenes (or staring at the 'waiting on other players' screen, whichever suits your fancy). We've actually debated doing it even on stuff we've already seen, just to tick off the people that spam 'spacebar!' like we don't know what that does.

One set of DPS actually vote kicked me (because he said 'yeah, spacebar through the story in a story oriented game' which they either misread or were too stupid to understand, but it made them think I was the only one not spacebarring) and while they were talking about how it wouldn't be too long of a wait to replace the healer, he left them too. I'm sure the wait to replace the healer and the tank was longer than the few cutscenes in Colicoid War Games.
hah! +1
Ritha
The Harbinger
Formerly from Ahazi, Dec Oct 2003 - Nov 2005

macumba
11.09.2012 , 07:04 AM | #222
while I do press the spacebar as well in flashpoints I would never bully someone who is still enjoying the story for the first time. even if it's annoying, relax it's not that bad.
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Arlon_Nabarlly
11.09.2012 , 07:32 AM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by Prettyevilish View Post
So now we bully people INTO watching the scenes (or staring at the 'waiting on other players' screen, whichever suits your fancy). We've actually debated doing it even on stuff we've already seen, just to tick off the people that spam 'spacebar!' like we don't know what that does.
You're telling us that you now do to others what you hated them doing to you. So the moral of the story is two wrongs make a right. Got it. Thanks.
Support Legacy Wide Datacrons
It's a secret to everybody:
54 68 65 20 31 34 31 20 31 35 36 20 31 36 33 20 31 36 37 20 31 34 35 20 31 36 32 20 69 73 20 30 30 31 31 30 31 30 30 30 30 31 31 30 30 31 30

Arlon_Nabarlly
11.09.2012 , 08:10 AM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
Edit: So yeah. Get the story AND get through the content. Once you're done reading. SPACEBAR.
This would only work if everyone read significantly faster than the dialogs take, which isn't always true. I know i've run into a few times during solo group story where no human dialog that must be read auto goes to the next page before I've finished reading it (super annoying btw).

However you're right, if I want to watch the stories and I'm doing a first time run in a hard mode I do my best to skim the dialog so I at least get the jist of the story. I recently did this with one of my first runs of a Republic-only flashpoint on my only republic 50.
54 68 65 20 31 34 31 20 31 35 36 20 31 36 33 20 31 36 37 20 31 34 35 20 31 36 32 20 69 73 20 30 30 31 31 30 31 30 30 30 30 31 31 30 30 31 30

Kleryk
11.09.2012 , 08:49 AM | #225
My point on this matter is similar to that of some people posting here - if someone wants to read/listen through the story, so be it. You think about yourself being bored after X-th run through it, but he might've been doing it for the first time. Or someone picked the opposite side choice than in his first run, so he is interested in the further development of the dialogue.

Why does HE have to be forced to spacebar through it if YOU do not want to hear/read it? Why not let people enjoy the game the way they want if it's new to them? It's not like the dialogues take hours. You don't have time to wait for the dialogues? Please, tell me more how you decide to run a FP when you know you will have to be in a hurry and will totally be late if some punk decides to actually listen to the dialogues(that bastard!).

Why not spacebar yourself to the end of this dialogue phase and pour some coke or tea into your cup as you wait? Or take a quick run to the kitchen to grab an apple and eat it in the meanwhile? Check if your girlfriend texted you, text her back or, I don't know... order pizza if you're a fat nerd with no social skills away from the calming light of his screen like me.

You may want to skip the dialogues, but don't force others to do it, simple. And goes very well with the only commandment of pastafarianism.
At least I have chicken.

TUXs
11.09.2012 , 08:53 AM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
You're telling us that you now do to others what you hated them doing to you. So the moral of the story is two wrongs make a right. Got it. Thanks.
EXACTLY what they're doing. Ironic isn't it. The feeling of superiority these people feel is sickening. Thank GOD I don't run into their type often.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

TUXs
11.09.2012 , 09:33 AM | #227
Quote: Originally Posted by Cupelixx View Post
That last part is the common ground, and I agree. On the rest, I respectfully disagree. It's not my intent to antagonize at all. But I still feel that the story watchers are entitled first. The group shouldn't be held hostage by people doing it on purpose. At the same time, it should not pressure the individual to skip. I think we can both agree on that much. I still disagree with kicking people for watching a cutscene unless they are doing it out of malice or breaking an earlier agreement to skip.
Text is a poor medium for conveying tone. With this post of yours, I believe we're probably on the same page. I took issue with the word "entitled" and probably read more into the word than you intended.

If it is someones first time in the instance, they will generally mention that at the start of a run, which indicates to me that they'll probably want to watch the cut-scenes, I'll always stay (excluding an emergency) and help this type of player because I absolutely enjoy helping other people. The guy who is off skipping trash mobs immediately is almost always a skipper - having done all the FP's multiple times, I'm totally fine with (and generally prefer) speed runs.

I have never 'kicked' anyone, nor ever suggested it be done (in a FP), but if someone was being a jackhole (watching out of spite or insisting on spacebar), I would have absolutely no issue using it. This works both ways. An antagonizing watcher is worse than a skipper imo because his childish behavior directly impacts me, however, if someone is new to the run, I will defend their right to watch the cut-scenes.

I think the moral of this thread is quite simple - know the type of group you're in BEFORE you start. If you insist on being a watcher OR a skipper, you need to be vocal about your intent - it's only fair. While everyone is free to watch or skip, the actions of 1 impacts the entire group. If one person can't get along with the group, I encourage the use of KICK or QUIT.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

Arlon_Nabarlly
11.09.2012 , 09:39 AM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by Kleryk View Post
Why does HE have to be forced to spacebar through it if YOU do not want to hear/read it? Why not let people enjoy the game the way they want if it's new to them? It's not like the dialogues take hours.
The issue hear is ultimately difference in playstyle preference and everyone thinks that their way is the right way and everyone should conform to their way. This in it's very nature creates unnecessary conflict among players and needs to be addressed by Bioware.

I do think that if you're in a group majority should rule. If the majority want to space, everyone space, if the majority want to watch story, then watch story. It's unfair for 1 person to inconvenience 3 others (either by lengthening the flashpoint or by forcing them to space). I try to follow this when I play. Also don't be a jerk about it (either side).

goreblade
11.09.2012 , 09:51 AM | #229
If someone starts telling me to press spacebar I dont, just to **** with em.
"Make him doubt himself, his beliefs, or his intentions. Such things disrupt connections to the Force—and death soon follows." -HK-47

TUXs
11.09.2012 , 10:22 AM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by goreblade View Post
If someone starts telling me to press spacebar I dont, just to **** with em.
That's really immature. Attitudes like yours are more cancerous than the spacebar folk.