Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free-to-Play Preview Episode 2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Free-to-Play Preview Episode 2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rahlk
11.08.2012 , 11:04 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by RiversBlack View Post
Stop making the game sillier in an effort to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I hate stupid gimmicks. The rhythm augmentation droid is funny and about as far as it should go; it's stupid to have someone buying a carbonite chamber for himself. The meditation throne should not float around or serve as a vehicle. It'd be fine if it was a static throne for your ship.

Also, cut down on all the shiny gold borders. It looks really cheesy when you log in with a legacy account, and I can see that same kind of nonsense with the borders and cartel icon here.

All of this seems worse than what we had before. Please take this game seriously so it can feel like an immersive world and part of the Star Wars universe we know from the films. You will begin losing serious subscribers if the game devolves into attenion-grabbing gimmicks to the point it distracts from the goal of experiencing the Star Wars universe with a good story and strong gameplay.
I doubt anything in this game will ever be fixed. Same issues since open beta. If you're a star wars fan-boy, I get it. Enjoy your fantasy for as long as you can. I left shortly after launch and I came back to this game a couple of weeks ago to find nothing changed but they're adding a market of floating chairs and b.s. Same bugs and no responses. I'm out... again.

GratuaCuun
11.09.2012 , 12:31 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Rahlk View Post
I I'm out... again.
Don't let the door hit ya where ma nature split ya -salute-

I don't get what's wrong with the chair - my Sith will be riding that thing complete with LOUD-*** pimp horn baby! bum-ba-bum bum-ba-bum

Why should we 'teh loest common demomimator' be penalized because something clashes with YOUR vision of Star Wars? If you don't like it... don't use it, pretty simple mah peeps
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians - George Lucas, 1988

MoobooMagoo
11.09.2012 , 01:11 AM | #43
Is that...Is that throne a MOUNT?!

That is awesome.
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs

AshlaBoga
11.09.2012 , 01:21 AM | #44
I don't know why, but I got the distinct feeling that Blaine Christine either hated the Cartel Packs or thought they were going to drive players away. I'm no body language expert, but to me his facial expression screamed: "I don't like this."

Of course, I could be 100% wrong and he could thing the idea was positively brilliant.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

vireo
11.09.2012 , 01:32 AM | #45
Stop making the game sillier in an effort to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I hate stupid gimmicks. The rhythm augmentation droid is funny and about as far as it should go; it's stupid to have someone buying a carbonite chamber for himself. The meditation throne should not float around or serve as a vehicle. It'd be fine if it was a static throne for your ship.

Also, cut down on all the shiny gold borders. It looks really cheesy when you log in with a legacy account, and I can see that same kind of nonsense with the borders and cartel icon here.

All of this seems worse than what we had before. Please take this game seriously so it can feel like an immersive world and part of the Star Wars universe we know from the films. You will begin losing serious subscribers if the game devolves into attenion-grabbing gimmicks to the point it distracts from the goal of experiencing the Star Wars universe with a good story and strong gameplay.
I completely agree. not liking all the silliness they're showing in these ftp videos. just seeing my evil sith lord dancing because someone put out a droid that makes everyone dance is too silly

RiversBlack
11.09.2012 , 01:34 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Rahlk View Post
I doubt anything in this game will ever be fixed. Same issues since open beta. If you're a star wars fan-boy, I get it. Enjoy your fantasy for as long as you can. I left shortly after launch and I came back to this game a couple of weeks ago to find nothing changed but they're adding a market of floating chairs and b.s. Same bugs and no responses. I'm out... again.
I'm not even that concerned about bugs or anything. IMO the game is in pretty good shape and anything left over is not a big deterrent as long as they do have tickets in place to fix.

I just can't stand the idea of them spending all this time on lame gimmicks. Next thing you know they'll have a Yoda hat and Mickey Mouse hat based on this random carbonite animation and these floating thrones. That kind of thing is not really going to bring in subscribers (I'm sure some casual players will be amused for five minutes), but it will turn plenty away. I'm sure some within BioWare agree with me, and they need to speak up more and make sure this game does not devolve into driving X-wings around as speeders or something.

If you want to do something cool with carbonite, make a mission out of it. Allow a character to defeat an enemy and store him in carbonite on the ship. Maybe even allow you to seal someone you beat in a duel in carbonite and keep the mold or something, if you really want to push it. But what that video showed looked like complete, gimmicky nonsense. Put some actual thought into your gimmicks so they don't feel shoehorned into the experience in a way that compromises the integrity of the game and the people who want to feel like they're experiencing something great.

RiversBlack
11.09.2012 , 01:49 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by GratuaCuun View Post
Don't let the door hit ya where ma nature split ya -salute-

I don't get what's wrong with the chair - my Sith will be riding that thing complete with LOUD-*** pimp horn baby! bum-ba-bum bum-ba-bum

Why should we 'teh loest common demomimator' be penalized because something clashes with YOUR vision of Star Wars? If you don't like it... don't use it, pretty simple mah peeps
Yeah, but people buzzing around in silly vehicles or placing themselves into carbonite nearby for no reason does affect the immersion factor. I'm all for having some fun with it, but what's wrong with the throne being in the ship? What's wrong with making the carbonite-related purchase a mission, like how Elder Scrolls games have DLC add-on missions?

I can live with slave outfits and music droids because clothes are clothes and some people in the world would use a music droid if one existed. That's fine, so whatever. There is musical spirit in the movies. But these two seem stupid, and I'm mostly afraid it indicates that more nonsense could be in the works, like night elf mohawk grenades that instead give everyone a Yoda-like head within a 30m radius. Don't go there, BioWare. I don't want to leave, but the Elder Scrolls MMO will look a lot more appealing if you keep this up. Plenty of games out there to play, so please assure us you're listening.

Laurreth
11.09.2012 , 02:57 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Aslesh View Post
Will races beyond the human, cyborg and Zabrak be available for purchase from the market?
Yes.

Quote:
For those of us who are subscribers and have the option to choose characters to hold onto when we change into the FTP version; can we select characters that are races other than the Human, Cyborg and Zabrak? For example, say I want to keep my Pureblood when I shift to FTP. Can I?
IIRC, you will not lose access to "non-f2p" characters. From a jumble of things that have been said and a somewhat badly maintained FAQ, I think it works like this (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

If you let your subscription lapse, your account falls back to "preferred" status. You can still log in and play all your characters with all "unlocks" that you have bought for credits (cargo and inventory space, etc., and you will still be able to wear purple gear that's already bound to a character), but your credits above the cap (500k) go to escrow and remain unavailable until you subscribe again. However, your character slot limit drops down to 2, and unless you delete characters or buy enough slots, you will not be able to create new characters.

GratuaCuun
11.09.2012 , 03:20 AM | #49
Yeah, but people buzzing around in silly vehicles or placing themselves into carbonite nearby for no reason does affect the immersion factor.
And why is YOUR immersion factor so much more important than everyone elses?

What's wrong with the chair and the carbonite pod being restricted to the ship is that they'd be used like... once this stuff being usable EVERYWHERE is a fun status symbol. This game ISN'T Skyrim, it's an mmo. Funny animations, jokes in the social areas and amusing animations in the main faction bases. Social items have been a part of MMO's since the genre began - and if you think the ES mmo won't have social items you're mistaken.

I'm sorry my chair is flying through YOUR game, but as a subscriber you are SHARING this game with everyone else
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians - George Lucas, 1988

MadBlue
11.09.2012 , 03:52 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
I'll bet you Devs are indeed "excited about the Cartel Packs"

It's your best ripoff scheme yet... congratulations, Bioware.
Every game that has a cash shop has something like that. We've already had a generation growing up with CCGs. This is no big deal. And the items are BoE, so eventually people will be selling them on the GTN.