Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MoobooMagoo
11.08.2012 , 01:24 AM | #3021
Hmm. That last post made me think of something.

I think SGRAs are coming with Makeb and maybe the reason why we haven't been told anymore isn't because there is a gag order on SGRA information, per se, but on story content.

Back when we were promised the SGRA content this year it was probably a nod that they were in fact working on it.

Chances are Bioware has just made a blanket statement of 'never talk about story content EVER unless specifically allowed to do so'. That way no one accidentally reveals some big story spoiler. Even little story details can lead fans to piece things together to big reveals. When Gabe said that SGRAs are coming with Makeb, he probably forgot that they are technically story content. They probably won't come out and say that is what happened, because if they give on any story content then they might end up having players constantly asking for it.

So I am going to assume they will be with Makeb, because that is the information we have and it makes the most sense because of the story content dump. I'm also going to assume that the lack of information coming to us isn't because they are trying to hide it, or are on the fence about it, or anything like that, but that there is a gag order on discussion of ANY story details, no matter what they might be.
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs

Uluain
11.08.2012 , 02:23 AM | #3022
That is certainly possible. We will have a better indication when we see what Q&A issues Hall Hood replies to. I do think it is a trifle severe, however, if such an order prohibits even addressing whether previous statements about this content still apply. That was one thing when so much was uncertain due to changes in the studio and with the direction of the game, but it is rather another now that those eager to shut down discussion of this content have grabbed onto the absence of recent statements as evidence that this content has been back-burnered or abandoned.

Captain_Zone
11.08.2012 , 03:38 PM | #3023
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
That is certainly possible. We will have a better indication when we see what Q&A issues Hall Hood replies to. I do think it is a trifle severe, however, if such an order prohibits even addressing whether previous statements about this content still apply. That was one thing when so much was uncertain due to changes in the studio and with the direction of the game, but it is rather another now that those eager to shut down discussion of this content have grabbed onto the absence of recent statements as evidence that this content has been back-burnered or abandoned.
I agree that it's possible. Let's just see what happens with Makeb and go from there.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

chuixupu
11.08.2012 , 03:44 PM | #3024
Quote: Originally Posted by MoobooMagoo View Post
Hmm. That last post made me think of something.

I think SGRAs are coming with Makeb and maybe the reason why we haven't been told anymore isn't because there is a gag order on SGRA information, per se, but on story content.
I think you may be right. I was talking to the IA writer about OGR romance stuff and I asked whether there was any chance that Watcher 2's romance would ever continue and he just said he's not allowed to talk about anything story related for the future. He's not even employed there anymore but obviously he's got some kind of signed agreement that he can't say a peep about anything.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

llesna
11.08.2012 , 04:41 PM | #3025
Here's hoping that we will still see at least some same-gender relationships this side of 2013. This is actually the main reason that I've not made more characters, as I wish the new ones to be able to explore their sexuality in greater depth than my first lot.

MoogleNut
11.09.2012 , 06:33 AM | #3026
So I see no news is still no news.

On the plus side, my internet isn't as crappy as I was led to believe (will be so much better when our own dedicated broadband is on next month though). most of my unpacking is done (yay for a new home) and F2P hits next week, so in theory not long after that until Makeb.

Anyone else think the timing of the Hall Hood blog may have been a sneaky way for those under a gag-order to try to get some info out there. Obviously the blog itself didn't tell us anything new, but they must have known the questions that would be asked for the follow up - especially after the pulled tweet.
That much noise can't be ignored without showing to the audience at large that they are deliberately ignoring the questions, and by extension, those asking.

natashina
11.09.2012 , 06:44 AM | #3027
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellianshia View Post

Anyway, rant mode off... I don't see why an estimated due date on story content needs to be kept under wraps. They don't need to tell us any kind of information about what story content is coming, only when. A simple comment like "Expect additional story content to come in 2-3 months" doesn't reveal any kind of information about the content itself. Of course, there will always be people that will poke and prod at the devs to get info about upcoming story updates, but eh... it probably won't be as many as evidenced in this topic.
I agree. It's one thing to keep the story under wraps, but they seem to hold this information too close to their chest. I wish that they would realize just by giving us a closer estimate of time (like 6 1/2 weeks or so,) it would quell a lot of the nay sayers. As I noticed Uluain said a few days ago, silence seems to validate those that are vehemently against SGRs. I doubt that is the company's intention, but I hope they are aware of how these copy n pasta answers really sound.

I'm betting at this point both the mods and the devs want to discuss openly about this subject. I'm hoping we get some info before SGRs and (possibly) Makeb drop onto the PTRs.

Tatile
11.09.2012 , 06:47 AM | #3028
Quote: Originally Posted by MoogleNut View Post
So I see no news is still no news.

Anyone else think the timing of the Hall Hood blog may have been a sneaky way for those under a gag-order to try to get some info out there. Obviously the blog itself didn't tell us anything new, but they must have known the questions that would be asked for the follow up - especially after the pulled tweet.
That much noise can't be ignored without showing to the audience at large that they are deliberately ignoring the questions, and by extension, those asking.
Ideally the answers would have been posted yesterday (that is if we assume the seven day response time for Ms. Jesse Sky's answers is the standard), so we're still waiting for them. I think they may have delayed Mr. Hall Hood's responses in favour of the Free2Play blog posts and, since Fridays are dead days, we'll be seeing his response(s) on Monday. Questions about SGRA's make up a little over a quarter of questions directed to Mr. Hall Hood (thank you, Uluain), but we are still not sure that Bioware even want to acknowledge those questions, let alone address them. I really do hope Mr. Hall Hood is allowed to talk to us about this subject - he has aid that he enjoys writing romances, so it would be interesting (aside from having our questions answered, obviously) to see if he considers there to be any fundamental differences in writing SGRA's compared to OGRA's and how tropes and stereotypes are used and/or avoided in both instances (i.e. there would have been a lot of expectation to have a traditional femme fatale for the (straight) Male IA as a companion, but I don't believe Kaliyo or Temple really fall into that category).

ImperialSun
11.09.2012 , 06:58 AM | #3029
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I agree. It's one thing to keep the story under wraps, but they seem to hold this information too close to their chest. I wish that they would realize just by giving us a closer estimate of time (like 6 1/2 weeks or so,) it would quell a lot of the nay sayers. As I noticed Uluain said a few days ago, silence seems to validate those that are vehemently against SGRs. I doubt that is the company's intention, but I hope they are aware of how these copy n pasta answers really sound.

I'm betting at this point both the mods and the devs want to discuss openly about this subject. I'm hoping we get some info before SGRs and (possibly) Makeb drop onto the PTRs.
Would you not be better off seeking clarification that SGRs are even DEFINITELY being added to the game first and foremost? As of right now there has been no official clarification that SGRs are still even planned, much less devloped and ready for release.

The two or three anecdotal comments you have from previous employees, made at a time before the entire landscape of the game shifted and its development focus/direction with it...do not constitute confirmation of anything.

That, coupled with the fact that BW will not even talk about SGR plus the deleted tweets and totolly ignoring any questions in QA sessions does not lead me to believe that they are even likely to happen at all any more.

I am not opposed to SGRs at all (I am opposed to the very unique take that some of the pro SGR crowd have on personal freedom and tolerance within the community but thats another story). All I am doing is looking at the facts, looking at the stone wall of silence from BW and the repeated manner in which they refuse to even acknowledge any of their previous statements....it does not look good for the inclusion of SGRs anytime within the next 6-12 months imo...if at all.

The longer it goes on it seems the previous statements were just made the placate that section of the cimmunity whilst they figured out what they were going to do about it....since the direction and entire landscape of the game has changed I genuinely believe the conduct of BW regards this matter is an indication that SGRs are further down the priority list now, than they ever were....

You all seem to keep saying that the code is done, the design and content is done and it should be released with Makeb...all I am asking is for one official source of confirmation for ANY of that....you dont have one.

It seems much more likely to me that NONE of the work required to implement SGRs has even been scoped at this point.

Driz

Rayla_Felana
11.09.2012 , 07:09 AM | #3030
Quote: Originally Posted by ImperialSun View Post
Would you not be better off seeking clarification that SGRs are even DEFINITELY being added to the game first and foremost? As of right now there has been no official clarification that SGRs are still even planned, much less devloped and ready for release.

The two or three anecdotal comments you have from previous employees, made at a time before the entire landscape of the game shifted and its development focus/direction with it...do not constitute confirmation of anything.

That, coupled with the fact that BW will not even talk about SGR plus the deleted tweets and totolly ignoring any questions in QA sessions does not lead me to believe that they are even likely to happen at all any more.

I am not opposed to SGRs at all (I am opposed to the very unique take that some of the pro SGR crowd have on personal freedom and tolerance within the community but thats another story). All I am doing is looking at the facts, looking at the stone wall of silence from BW and the repeated manner in which they refuse to even acknowledge any of their previous statements....it does not look good for the inclusion of SGRs anytime within the next 6-12 months imo...if at all.

The longer it goes on it seems the previous statements were just made the placate that section of the cimmunity whilst they figured out what they were going to do about it....since the direction and entire landscape of the game has changed I genuinely believe the conduct of BW regards this matter is an indication that SGRs are further down the priority list now, than they ever were....

You all seem to keep saying that the code is done, the design and content is done and it should be released with Makeb...all I am asking is for one official source of confirmation for ANY of that....you dont have one.

It seems much more likely to me that NONE of the work required to implement SGRs has even been scoped at this point.

Driz
How about actually doing some research? We have Stephen Reid's comment about SGRAs being a post-launch feature, we have Daniel Erickson's statement from the Guild Summit that SGRA content will be in, like Story content, this year, then we have Gabe Amantangelo's statement that he believes it will be with Makeb which tells us that he has seen SGRA content close to completion, especially given that he believes it is now only a scheduling issue, then we have Hall Hood's tweet that seemingly confirmed Gabe's statement, but it was later removed and I imagine because they both got shot in the foot about it they haven't said anything since Story, not just romance content, is a tightly kept secret for some reason, besides the statement that story content will be more like the Avengers movies going forward, what they mean by that, we don't know.

So how about instead of sitting around and asking for it, you actually FIND it yourself.