Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Video Guide] The Writhing Horror (Hard Mode) TFB - Elite Gaming

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
[Video Guide] The Writhing Horror (Hard Mode) TFB - Elite Gaming

borowmir
11.08.2012 , 06:47 AM | #1
Hey everyone,

The Writhing Horror (8 Man Hard Mode)

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVlAMentcM

Well we took a break for around 3 months and when we've returned we're impressed with how they've made the new operation. As promised here's our first guide in TFB hard mode - sorry if it's not relevant for people if you've already cleared it, we're just trying to catch up with content for the channel now

The other ones should be available in the next few weeks depending on how busy things get outside of SWTOR. Each video takes us the initial recording then probably 4-5 hours of editing to get the tactics side of it done, so that's why they can be a little delayed.

Anyway enjoy! As always, feedback positive or negative (preferably constructive) is always welcomed.

Regards,
Thermal
Elite Gaming
www.youtube.com/Thermal8691

KeyboardNinja
11.08.2012 , 10:38 AM | #2
Someone else is going to say it, so I may as well…clicking, really? :-) Anyway, I'll avoid player critiques.

It's a nice guide. Explains the mechanics well and has solid information on timing and debuff management. The only thing I would add, really, is a note on DPS timing. It is possible (in fact, likely) for groups with high DPS to hit the soft enrage while the boss is back in his first position. If this happens, it can be a big, big problem, since the Jealous Male is out (or shortly to be out) while the Twisted Spawn are running around. It's a lot of damage to heal through. In the case that the boss drops below 20% before the third Jealous Male, just pause DPS and wait a little while. Kill the Male, kill the adds, and wait for the "Recently Implanted" debuff to fall off. Once all that is done, you can push the boss into his enrage without worrying about the off-tank getting one-shotted by spit after doing an AoE taunt.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Streaming Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

borowmir
11.08.2012 , 05:17 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Someone else is going to say it, so I may as well…clicking, really? :-) Anyway, I'll avoid player critiques.

It's a nice guide. Explains the mechanics well and has solid information on timing and debuff management. The only thing I would add, really, is a note on DPS timing. It is possible (in fact, likely) for groups with high DPS to hit the soft enrage while the boss is back in his first position. If this happens, it can be a big, big problem, since the Jealous Male is out (or shortly to be out) while the Twisted Spawn are running around. It's a lot of damage to heal through. In the case that the boss drops below 20% before the third Jealous Male, just pause DPS and wait a little while. Kill the Male, kill the adds, and wait for the "Recently Implanted" debuff to fall off. Once all that is done, you can push the boss into his enrage without worrying about the off-tank getting one-shotted by spit after doing an AoE taunt.
Thanks for the comment I spend a lot of time responding to clicker comments so i'll only briefly address it. Yes - in SWTOR I click, but I also have all 12 abilities on the side bar hotbuttoned to my mouse (12 button thumb grid). The ones on the mice are prioritised for abilities that are time critical, such as taunts and defensive cooldowns. The buttons I click are non-critical and due to the large global cooldown on most abilities it doesn't have any real detrimental effect on DPS output or threat generation.

With regards to the DPS timing - thanks for the suggestion, it's something we can consider for future videos definitely. We try not to overload the videos with info and summarise the tactics as briefly as possible to avoid boring people too much, but at the same time putting enough in to explain the fight so it's a good accurate guide.

Thanks for your comments!

Regards,
Thermal
Elite Gaming
www.youtube.com/thermal8691

Garell
11.08.2012 , 06:05 PM | #4
Clicking in MMO's has been criticised for the last 10 years. It is proven to be a substandard method of movement and play.

What makes you think you're better than the millions before you?

Friendly advise: It will take you time to learn, but you will be a better player for taking the time to do it. Don't be ignorant or lazy.

borowmir
11.08.2012 , 07:04 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Garell View Post
Clicking in MMO's has been criticised for the last 10 years. It is proven to be a substandard method of movement and play.

What makes you think you're better than the millions before you?

Friendly advise: It will take you time to learn, but you will be a better player for taking the time to do it. Don't be ignorant or lazy.
First of all. I've never said that i'm better than millions of players, or that those players are wrong for hotkeying. If you have a quick watch of the the videos - 12 abilities are bound to mouse hotkeys - you can see them all on the right sidebar. They are never clicked all are executed via hot keys (on my mouse). Now yes, I could then put some keys on my keyboard - is it necessary? Not in my eyes at least.

I agree that pure clicking in most MMOs is detrimental of course (dependant on the game of course), however be careful before you view someone as a bad player just because you see them click a few abilities. First of all take into consideration what there clicking. The abilities that I click are mainly (with the exception of maybe 2), non-time critical. The abilities tied to hotkeys on my mouse are time critical abilities. The combination of clicking for non-critifcal abilities and mouse grid tying other abilities is the ideal partnership. It means that I have full control over raid views via standard mouse buttons. I'm able to execute the non-critical abilities by clicking and if the situation calls for a time-critical ability access to these abilities is instant as my hand isn't out of position at all.

Could I bind these non-critical abilities to my keyboard? Of course I could, but why would I? A big part of MMOs now is also movement - once again clicking my abilities that are non-critical doesn't affect my WASD position at all. That means if I need to move out of a mechanic for example - I can get out probably a few milliseconds quicker than if I was keying an ability on the keyboard. Would that few milliseconds benefit anyone in this game? No. It's not a game that demands that quick reactions... Leading me to my next point.

" It is proven to be a substandard method of movement and play." - That's a pretty generalised comment if you mean in all MMOs.. If you can point me to any conclusive research that says in EVERY MMO, any use of ability clicking is detrimental - then i'll take my hat off to you. Each MMO is different, and i've played a lot of them. If an MMO demands me to have a lot of keyboard shortcuts, i'll use them. If it is better off clicking - i'll do that. If I need to hybrid as I do now, I will. Simply put, every single game is different. I have played games demanding all the different styles and adapted to each.

And that brings me to my final point... as I mentioned in the previous reply. SWTOR is not a game that requires a billion abilities to be executed with different cooldowns on them. Purely clicking would definitely be detrimental but clicking some and binding the others works extremely efficiently. Most abilities are on global cooldown and take quite a significant amount of time to execute (unless your animation cancelling, but lets not go there). But, I will fully accept that different roles and classes may have different demands. Some DPS I know can fully justify an extensive range of keybinds and I support that due to the nature of their characters. Because of the length of the animations on abilities combined with the global cooldown (for me tanking), efficient ability queuing can be done with a mouse click, keyboard shortcuts, mouse grids or a combination of all of these (which is my style). Different styles work for different players, roles and classes in my eyes

Remember i'm also leading the raid. So I have keyboard binds for quick marking players and enemies during combat. I also have binds for recording and for talking to my raid on teamspeak.

Friendly Advice: "Just because we use wheels on a car, doesn't mean we also use them on a boat"... Different MMOs require different play styles, try not to correlate having a keyboard shortcut for every ability under the sun with making someone a better player.

Previous MMOs: Everquest, Everquest 2, WoW, AoC, WH:Online, FFXIV, DCUO, GW2 & Currently SWTOR

Regards,
Thermal
Elite Gaming
http://www.youtube.com/Thermal8691

alifaraaz
11.08.2012 , 07:10 PM | #6
Well he's got 12 important stuff binded to his mouse, and he never said its better, he just said clicking has no significant downside for the abilities he does click. I know you're just giving friendly advice so don't take this as me trying to insult or argue.

I agree that key binding is better overall once you get used to it. I only learnt playing with keybinding in like March, as it was a requirement for the Hardcore guild I joined. After a couple of weeks, I got used to it, but bought a Naga. Got used to that in like a week, have to say that mouse is a godsend for MMOs with lots of abilities like swtor. I still have like 7 keys on my keyboard binded too, overall I have pretty much everything binded now.

And yet, I cleared all of TBC and most of Wotlk as a complete clicker, didn't use any keybindings at all. I'm just saying its not As big of a deal as some people make it out to be. Clicking is worse, buta great clicker will still likely be better than a average or good keybinder. My main issue with keybinding, which isn't a big deal really, is that once you get used to it, should you completely overhaul your button setup, it can take a long time to get used to again as its mostly muscle memory. Whereas with clicking due to the visual aspect, you get used to it a bit quicker.

Anyways that's all totally off-topic lol. Pretty good video as you said, pretty obsolete for most of us, but quite detailed and still to the point, very good
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

borowmir
11.08.2012 , 07:22 PM | #7
@alifaraaz

First of all thanks for the comments on the video. We're dissappointed there obsolete, but we like to have a full catalogue available annnd maybe the new F2Pers will use them down the line

You sir are a good reader, observer and poster The points you made are exactly what I said. Unfortunately my response is a little more blunt as I have to explain it quite a lot to people on YouTube. Having the opportunity to explain it fully like I did above is much easier than the character limit on YouTube, but may come across as if it's written with a bit of frustration - which it was

There does seem to be a very biased view in the MMO community, that more keybinds is better and I think you raise a very good point about going all out keybinds or not. My personal oppinion is to use them where necessary, I think if you overuse them - quite importantly it can mean your hands are positioned away from an ability at a critical time and can also delay you moving out of mechanics, but again we're talking such minor gains which no MMO really demands in my eyes. Out of all the MMOs i'd say WoW actually requires you to be the quickest and it's still not gonna be the difference between a down or a wipe.

I also use a Naga - there awesome!

Regards,
Thermal
Elite Gaming
www.youtube.com/thermal8691