Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Joajoa's Avatar


Joajoa
11.08.2012 , 05:45 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Drewmen View Post
The sub fee kept the rif raf off the game servers
Yup,there's that too.I've played a lot of F2P MMo's in the past---they have some of the worse communities.I remember what happened to "Bree" chat in LOTRO when it went F2P.

ShadowPhazon's Avatar


ShadowPhazon
11.08.2012 , 07:00 PM | #102
Will time cards still be available for the subscribers at stores like Target or Walgreens??

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
11.08.2012 , 07:32 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowPhazon View Post
Will time cards still be available for the subscribers at stores like Target or Walgreens??
Not speaking for EA, but it would seem logical, since the subscription option will remain. Those cards are basically subscriptions.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Feartheswans's Avatar


Feartheswans
11.08.2012 , 10:39 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by ripster View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SumZed

but remember, you don't have to do it RIGHT AWAY! you have until December 20 to do so...


I have seen this (or a similar date) twice now, where did it come from? I have seen this (or a similar date) twice now, where did it come from?

December 21st is the Northern Hemisphere Winter Solstice, i.e. the Official First Day of Winter. The Launch was announced to be this Fall, so they would have until December 20th to lauch F2P and still Technically be in Fall. Today they announced that it would be Launched on Thursday Nov 15th.

SithInitiate's Avatar


SithInitiate
11.08.2012 , 11:14 PM | #105
why did you guys charge for wearing purple gear, unify gear, and hide head slot?? you realize this is just going to alienate new customers right?

in fact, if i didnt already invest a ton of money in the game, i would leave. charging for stuff like that is RIDICULOUS.
McSidious: Gotta go with uno pistola for myself. Remember that Han Solo saved Lando, killed Boba Fett and escaped the sarlaac with only one pistol... and he was BLIND. Give a smuggler two pistols and eyesight and I'm fairly certain they would solo the Death Star while hitting on your sister and balancing the federal budget.. CE VIP

Styxx's Avatar


Styxx
11.09.2012 , 04:13 AM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
But then lets look at what I NEED to enjoy the game.
If every player would base her/his purchases on "need" bases, you won`t have this abomination called F2P. Because nobody would buy the crap they are selling.

So, the correct answer is.. they don`t need, but WANT. Because the other guy has it. Poor souls not being able to decide for themselves.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
11.09.2012 , 11:18 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
If every player would base her/his purchases on "need" bases, you won`t have this abomination called F2P. Because nobody would buy the crap they are selling.

So, the correct answer is.. they don`t need, but WANT. Because the other guy has it. Poor souls not being able to decide for themselves.
The reason for that was due to another poster stating that the entry fee was too high. That it was a barrier to enjoy the game. I was pointing out that it just was not so. Highlighting needs over wants, exactly.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Styxx's Avatar


Styxx
11.09.2012 , 12:34 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
The reason for that was due to another poster stating that the entry fee was too high. That it was a barrier to enjoy the game. I was pointing out that it just was not so. Highlighting needs over wants, exactly.
Aha.. thanks for pointing it out
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
11.09.2012 , 02:57 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I must say... you are getting more and more cynical here recently Urael.

Basically, I disagree with your assessment. Making the game actually playable to level 50 is a good move. It draws players in well beyond any "trial" feel (which is what sub-only MMOs are locked into)... and yet they have sufficient attractive perks for sub-50 to draw players in early. And let's face it... if if you see nothing to do once you get to 50... then why did you play to begin with.
Just because you are jaded about the game right now does not invalidate the flexibility (and draw/attraction) of play they are offering with the dual access sub/freemium approach.
I agree with both of you. I enjoy this game because I loved KOTOR as did many. The storylines arcs for some of the characters are well worth paying for. Who wouldn't want to see what happens to their agent or bounty hunter at the grand finale. Giving that away must be due to the way the game is setup. Beside I think people would be hooked on the game at around level 40.

BOOLEAZERT's Avatar


BOOLEAZERT
11.09.2012 , 04:53 PM | #110
you know what ticked me of ? well here it is before i say something i love this game i play it every spare sec i have but when they said unpaid people would progress slower who is gaining fro that whats the point another thing that sucks for me is that my game for my paid charachter ends on the 14 and im on lvl 49 and one more thing if we pay and then our paying day ends will you still get to keep that player and play him unpaid i am done now thank your for your time
i'll take a martini shaken not stirred