Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please stop telling people to press spacebar

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please stop telling people to press spacebar

Cupelixx
11.08.2012 , 05:34 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
No. You assuming that someone is "entitled" to anything is wrong. Players CAN watch the cut-scenes or they can skip them - it's optional. Nobody is "entitled" to their way when their choice impacts 3 other people. We agree that nobody should tell others what they should do and that is exactly why I suggest that players with strong feelings either way simply QUIT or KICK.

People doing things out of spite is just childish, so is demanding others spacebar. It's a group experience and it's best for everyone if they join a like minded group.
That last part is the common ground, and I agree. On the rest, I respectfully disagree. It's not my intent to antagonize at all. But I still feel that the story watchers are entitled first. The group shouldn't be held hostage by people doing it on purpose. At the same time, it should not pressure the individual to skip. I think we can both agree on that much. I still disagree with kicking people for watching a cutscene unless they are doing it out of malice or breaking an earlier agreement to skip.
Please un-break Slicing lockbox missions.

Asavar
11.08.2012 , 07:36 PM | #212
When I meet people who demand spacebar and cry about it, I purposely go out of my way to not spacebar.

CaptRavenous
11.08.2012 , 07:41 PM | #213
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
SPACEBARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its like watching the same 4 reruns of a TV show everyday for 6 months.
Because someone pointed a gun at your head and made you watch those reruns? The same way someone is threatening to kill everyone you hold dear if you don't play the same instance everyday for 6 months?
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

GnatB
11.08.2012 , 08:02 PM | #214
Quote: Originally Posted by chimex View Post
The thing is, spacebarring is NOT the norm. YOU didn't do it on your first run (unless you were bullied, you dont see power in bullies, do you!?)

That is flagrantly untrue. I typically space bar (or hit the continue button in video games) to skip the VO (VA) as soon as I finish reading the text. That is true in pretty much every game I play. (Note: Mass Effect totally pisses me off in that it's the same button to skip text as it is to select dialog options, and it doesn't *always* wait for the VO to be over before bringing up the next set of dialog options. Really pisses me off when I press the button to skip to the next line just as the dialog selection comes up causing me to pick an option I don't want. Horribly bad design, that. Should be two different buttons.)

Anyways, here in TOR, I read fast enough that people generally don't have time to complain about spacebarring even if it IS my first time through. And even slow readers can read far faster than the VA's are reciting their lines.

'Course, I also happen to believe that voicework in most games (including this one) is pretty much a complete and utter waste of time and money. But then again, I was raised reading books, so I guess maybe my imagination is better than those who weren't.

Edit: So yeah. Get the story AND get through the content. Once you're done reading. SPACEBAR.

Darth_Vicente
11.08.2012 , 08:12 PM | #215
As a tank, I have an easy enough time finding groups, so I handle people demanding the spacebar thus:

If someone demands the spacebar before we've even started the first conversation, I will go out of my way to ensure I watch and enjoy EVERY line of dialogue.

If someone makes a big deal about the dialogue not being skipped and I was spacebarring, I will stop and watch the rest of the cutscenes.

If I am not spacebarring and someone asks nicely if we could please skip it, I will usually agree to, unless by some rare miracle we're doing a FP I hadn't seen before (such as during my occasional Republic ventures)
Grand Lord of The Sovereign Aeons Server: Ebon Hawk
The Kinslayer Legacy
Darth Nšeblis | Darth Lanfear| Lord Ra'hvin| Cipher Agent Aludra| Ziare, Imperial Loyalist|Apprentice Telv'isa'sdra|Apprentice Gwynofar|Master Lews-Therin

JediNg
11.08.2012 , 08:34 PM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Vicente View Post
As a tank, I have an easy enough time finding groups, so I handle people demanding the spacebar thus:

If someone demands the spacebar before we've even started the first conversation, I will go out of my way to ensure I watch and enjoy EVERY line of dialogue.

If someone makes a big deal about the dialogue not being skipped and I was spacebarring, I will stop and watch the rest of the cutscenes.

If I am not spacebarring and someone asks nicely if we could please skip it, I will usually agree to, unless by some rare miracle we're doing a FP I hadn't seen before (such as during my occasional Republic ventures)
I like you.
Ritha
The Harbinger
Formerly from Ahazi, Dec Oct 2003 - Nov 2005

Styxx
11.09.2012 , 04:03 AM | #217
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
The one against the majority may look like an anomaly in their eyes since he refuses to play the way they want him to play. But the true anomaly in the grand scheme of things is the said majority. You can't deny that watching the story is a default way of playing through a FP, no matter normal or hc, which is intended by Bioware. Skipping the story, on the other hand, is just a side option for cases when the entire group is willing to do so.
When the FP starts.. HARD MODE flashpoint, the question is asked: fast run/spacebar or not.

Based on answer, a majority will be formed. If split, you try to establish a majority, for one or the other.

After the above, anyone that does not do what the majority has decided, has really no room in that group, or is assumed a confrontational player - based on various "patience levels", it might be asked once, or more than once, or kicked.

Anything else is just a nice story about how Bioware made the game and why cutscenes are there. Where a group is involved, so is the need to have ONE rule, which is followed by ALL members of the group.

So, yes, a vote trumps what everyone thinks about how the game should be played - FOR spacebar AND against spacebar. Majority decides and minority follows or gets removed. Even tanks and healers.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Harsisus
11.09.2012 , 04:44 AM | #218
After reading 3-4 pages of this thread my one and only response to the topic of spacebarring through content is this:

"Meh. I care not, for I have another screen with videos to watch if someone wants to watch the storyline. Haters gonna hate, enjoy the story bro!"

Oh, but I do agree with those that purposefully refuse to spacebar after someone decides to be a dick about it.

Prettyevilish
11.09.2012 , 05:12 AM | #219
I rolled a DPS as my first toon, so I knew I was easily replaced, which meant that when I was bullied to spacebar, I did so. Some of the stories I got to go back and redo solo when I was over level, but others it's just not possible to do that.

So with my next toon, I teamed up with my BF and he runs tank while I run heals. So now we bully people INTO watching the scenes (or staring at the 'waiting on other players' screen, whichever suits your fancy). We've actually debated doing it even on stuff we've already seen, just to tick off the people that spam 'spacebar!' like we don't know what that does.

One set of DPS actually vote kicked me (because he said 'yeah, spacebar through the story in a story oriented game' which they either misread or were too stupid to understand, but it made them think I was the only one not spacebarring) and while they were talking about how it wouldn't be too long of a wait to replace the healer, he left them too. I'm sure the wait to replace the healer and the tank was longer than the few cutscenes in Colicoid War Games.

Prettyevilish
11.09.2012 , 05:29 AM | #220
Quote: Originally Posted by Elysith View Post
The game is designed to give priority to the player who wants to listen to dialogues and watch cut-scenes, within reason since there is still a timer involved possible choice.

That's how the game is supposed to work either in Story or Hard Mode and you can obviously expect in PUG to meet someone not "spacebarring" for his own reasons: it could be his first time, or it could be he simply enjoy it every time, or simply he does not like rushing through the dialogues.

Enjoying the game is not only about rushing fights and grinding gears. Every player enjoys SWTOR for his own reasons.

Same goes for people complaining that a tank is doing all the bonuses, or not skipping lower level enemies and complaining he should just rush toward the bosses for loot.

When teaming with random players, if one wishes to play a "spacebar", "boss rush", "barehand only", "kinky naked run" or whatever specific style, then one should expressly state so. So others can choose accordingly to group with him or not.

The problem is not about "spacebarring" or not, it's just about the lack of communication.

Some people don't want to take the time to talk a minimum when randomly grouping ( I really just mean few words to clear things up before starting), then they should not be surprised to encounter misunderstandings once into the action.

On a related sidenote, the current Group Finder implementation is not enough on a social aspect, as it does not allow more filtering or input information other than TANK, DPS or HEAL
Are kinky naked runs going on? Because.... I would so join that.