Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Please stop telling people to press spacebar

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please stop telling people to press spacebar

simplius's Avatar


simplius
11.08.2012 , 01:21 PM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
To sum up this thread into one neat pithy sentence:

"You are free to play however you want unless that way interfears with the way that I want to play."

/thread.
exactly,,this is a golden rule of mmos, and one that BW broke from the start

designing the low/mid level play to fit hardcores, have had the effect, that only hardcores is enjoying it

and since this is the entry point for new players,,very litte new blood is coming in

until they fix that,,this game wont recover

Lostpenguins's Avatar


Lostpenguins
11.08.2012 , 01:45 PM | #202
I don't mind someone who wants to do the dialog w/out hitting spacebar. I actually get annoyed at the player who demands that we press it. However, if you've already done the dialog before, be courteous and press it if you already know the convo. If not, you're probably delaying the 3 other people, and that's not nice to them either.

dogmaticus's Avatar


dogmaticus
11.08.2012 , 01:47 PM | #203
I think there two sides to that issue.

One thing is that when you simply enjoy the story while doing a flashpoint you should hear the dialogues. However the other thing is when you join a team to get social points e.g. - then it's a different story... then press the damn space bar! But that should be agreed before the actual mission starts.

Trollokdamus's Avatar


Trollokdamus
11.08.2012 , 02:13 PM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Default?! What is this "default" crap? Bioware added the spacebar option - it's a "default" as well. Perhaps their intent was for you to use it after the 1st time through?
If that would be the case, they would completely remove access to any cutscenes you've already seen, no?

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Please just stop with this moronic idea that one style is "default" or more "entitled" than the other. BOTH styles are supported, by DEFAULT. If you don't like your group, leave. If someone in your group isn't playing nice, kick them. Watchers are no better than skippers.
Both styles are supported, but they are by no means equal. If at least one player is not skipping the story, everyone else have to wait for him, not the other way around. Cutscenes are present in both normals and heroics till this day. As was already mentioned, extra action has to be taken in order to skip them. Considering mentioned above, one can clearly see that Bioware wants us to watch them, or at least to wait for those wathing them. For a MMO which claims to be called "story-driven", this is how it should be.

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
You both have a right to ask others to do it your way, but nobody is required to. Don't like it, find a new group.
It's interesting how you say this now, while showing a completely different opinion a bit earlier. Speaking about your post here, last one on the page:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...551768&page=15
Though i've already answered this on the next page.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
11.08.2012 , 02:48 PM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
If that would be the case, they would completely remove access to any cutscenes you've already seen, no?

Both styles are supported, but they are by no means equal. If at least one player is not skipping the story, everyone else have to wait for him, not the other way around. Cutscenes are present in both normals and heroics till this day. As was already mentioned, extra action has to be taken in order to skip them. Considering mentioned above, one can clearly see that Bioware wants us to watch them, or at least to wait for those wathing them. For a MMO which claims to be called "story-driven", this is how it should be.

It's interesting how you say this now, while showing a completely different opinion a bit earlier. Speaking about your post here, last one on the page:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...551768&page=15
Though i've already answered this on the next page.
The spacebar is there to skip, by default. Skipping is an option that many players choose. Taking no action doesn't imply you're correct or that you're playing better than anyone else.

My stance on this has been consistent from day 1. "I" do what the group prefers. If I am hell bent on watching the videos, I'll run it with guys from my guild who have no issue waiting. EVERY PuG I'm in, I spacebar until I get a feel for what the group is doing.

My feelings on this are from my experiences:

Story Mode = I expect someone to watch the videos
Hard Mode = Done for trinkets, spacebar is expected

If any of you feel so strongly one way or the other, quit or kick.

I'm not trying to force anyone into my style, nor do I ever ask for people to act one way or another. If I don't like it, I'll quit. If 2 people are bickering and being jerks, I'll quit. If one guy is being a jerk, I'll vote to kick. I have no loyalty to people who are jerks, and I understand that time is valuable, and if they wanna skip frivolous crap to get their trinkets quicker, I'll oblige them.

Grouping isn't mandatory. I appreciate everyone who joins the GF queue and helps other people. I'm not shallow enough to think MY way is best for everyone, which is why I go with the flow of the group. People of BOTH extremes are the true selfish jerks IMO, and NEITHER selfish attitude is acceptable or 'default'.

If you can't play well with others, quit or kick.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

Technohic's Avatar


Technohic
11.08.2012 , 03:08 PM | #206
Whoop! I missed the entire thread. I pressed spacebar and came to the last page.

Helig's Avatar


Helig
11.08.2012 , 03:13 PM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarlan View Post
Its not your fp or your group nor your decision for other players. If you wish to have the ability to make decisions for other players I suggest you spam the fleet until you find three other people willing to consent to your decisions for them then queue up as a group.....

Otherwise suck it up and accept its the random group finder where no one is going to give a womprats arse about letting you make decisions for them......or consent to it.
It's *my* time, though. I respect their choice and in return I expect that they respect my time. I politely ask if everyone's fine with skipping. If they're not, I move on to another group. If they just remain silent I assume they agree. If they don't respect my time, I have no reason to respect theirs, since I'm usually the tank.

Groupfinder lockout doesn't affect me, and they can have all the fun in the Galaxy waiting for another half-hour while I'm instantly grabbed if I utter a word on the Fleet that I'm available.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Petnil's Avatar


Petnil
11.08.2012 , 03:32 PM | #208
i allways just tap spacebar. Only reason for me not to tap spacebar is if someone demands i tap spacebar. Then i just watch the story to piss him off. Noone is going to tell me or anyone how to play this game. It΄s one thing to ask if all are ok with skipping story, but the "skip spacebar" demand i just hate that.

Cupelixx's Avatar


Cupelixx
11.08.2012 , 04:05 PM | #209
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Default?! What is this "default" crap? Bioware added the spacebar option - it's a "default" as well. Perhaps their intent was for you to use it after the 1st time through?

Please just stop with this moronic idea that one style is "default" or more "entitled" than the other. BOTH styles are supported, by DEFAULT. If you don't like your group, leave. If someone in your group isn't playing nice, kick them. Watchers are no better than skippers. You both have a right to ask others to do it your way, but nobody is required to. Don't like it, find a new group.
Like it or not, the 'watcher' actually is more entitled. The intended behavior is that players watch the cutscene. If Bioware intended for them to be skipped every time, they wouldn't have bothered adding them to the game. No amount of posturing is going to change that fact. For someone whp claims to understand both sides of the issue, you rail pretty hard against people who point out that the default behavior is NOT spacebar. Especially considering the story focused nature of this game. The story is there for a reason, which entitles players that want to see it. You are entitled to spacebar as an option. Neither side is entitled to tell the other how to play.

Regardless, nothing is going to change the fact that this game caters to the non-skipper first.
SWTOR's integrated UI is responsible for many players' framerate issues. Support player control and modification of SWTOR's user interface.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
11.08.2012 , 04:25 PM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by Cupelixx View Post
Like it or not, the 'watcher' actually is more entitled. The intended behavior is that players watch the cutscene. If Bioware intended for them to be skipped every time, they wouldn't have bothered adding them to the game. No amount of posturing is going to change that fact. For someone whp claims to understand both sides of the issue, you rail pretty hard against people who point out that the default behavior is NOT spacebar. Especially considering the story focused nature of this game. The story is there for a reason, which entitles players that want to see it. You are entitled to spacebar as an option. Neither side is entitled to tell the other how to play.

Regardless, nothing is going to change the fact that this game caters to the non-skipper first.
No. You assuming that someone is "entitled" to anything is wrong. Players CAN watch the cut-scenes or they can skip them - it's optional. Nobody is "entitled" to their way when their choice impacts 3 other people. We agree that nobody should tell others what they should do and that is exactly why I suggest that players with strong feelings either way simply QUIT or KICK.

People doing things out of spite is just childish, so is demanding others spacebar. It's a group experience and it's best for everyone if they join a like minded group.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])