Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cupelixx
11.08.2012 , 09:33 AM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by iSoldat View Post
I wonder if the issues with content and features aren't really an issue regarding the developers, but more about limitations with the game engine. Face it, they spent a lot of money on voice-overs and skimped on the most important part of an MMO; a scalable engine.

Games like EQ1 had more and better features at release than TOR and it was released in 99 and it still has subscribers even though it went F2P this year.

DDO which released in Feb 06 had integrated VoIP. I played DDO, couldn't stand WoW becoming the modern day baby-sitter. However, I left DDO when it went F2P, but the VoIP feature was awesome. I never had to worry about having the right voice client for groups or raids and then going through the setup up for everyones individual settings.

The executive who made the engine decision should go the way Burger King's exective went when they switched fries. The voice-overs are nice, but I'd have been just as happy with chat bubbles. Had I been in charge, only class (and maybe planet series) missions would have had voice.

After I read the WAR/Hickman article, I'll probably do the same thing I did with WAR, unsub/uninstall.
The engine is total garbage and everyone knows it. We're talking about a game released in 20 freaking 11 and we have performance cheats like sharding and 2D trees. Distant NPCs (even when 'distant' is across a large room) render at 4 FPS. Shadows kill performance and look terrible. I run the game on RAID 0 SSDs and the load times are ridiculous. Loading screens for everything, including when I alt tab out to check an email. Come on.

I had a thread going earlier this year where we, the community, actually found the sources of a lot of the FPS issues. Hundreds of posts, thousands and thousands of views. Not one dev or even CM response.
Please un-break Slicing lockbox missions.

VesstaraKai
11.08.2012 , 02:17 PM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by Firolas View Post
The updates speed is not an issuse the problem is the game is way too easy. You can get a level 50 in no time, hell you can do it solo within a few days, no help needed. I thought this was a MMO, you create these companions which just makes it so easy to level and do heroic missions that interacting with others online is not required. thats why people get to level 50 and start whining that they are bored and their story is finished, theyre playing the game like its some one player action playstation game. MMO is meant to be hard, its suppose to encourage you or basically make it so damn difficult to level up without the help of others that you have no choice but to team up and recently you get black hole comms for doing everything now, theyre being thrown at you from all directions, I did a hard mode flashpoint the other day and the dps had full black hole gear and man he was shocking, no idea how to play his role but heh he doesn't need to learn it , the gear is basically handed to everyone that logs in enough times a week.

PLEASE look at other MMO's and hire some gamers that can advise you better than the folk you have now.
Ebán Sith Marauder
Keep in mind it could be said that a lot of players are more interested in the RP facet of the game rather than the mmo. Personally I have no interest in playing alongside a bunch of random strangers, and many swtor players feel the same way. I think it's great that I can play with my RL friends when they are online, but I dont want to have to stop playing and wait for a friend to come help me and I DEFINITELY dont want to be forced into MP with people I dont know or like or care about.. The game is nicely divided between RP and MP content, I dont want to be excluded from RP content

I think most of the fanboys out there would agree with me on this, the stories NEED to solo-able. On the other hand, I'm all for an increase in the level cap. I would like to see more RP content before I see more high level MP content, but if it would make the mmo-ers like you happy, I would be fine to see the devs create some higher level, more difficult MP stuff. Although I think they are already addressing that with Operations and such... but in any case, I think its fair to say a lot of people are happy that they can solo so much of the content.

chuixupu
11.08.2012 , 02:21 PM | #273
I wish people would stop turning on the best part of the game (the story and voice work) out of frustration with the engine. They had different teams working on them. They chose their engine in 2006. The decisions for combat, graphics, and end game content were not hindered by the story, stand and fall on their own.

The thing that keeps me hanging on in this game more than anything is hope that class stories will continue some day. Yes, I enjoy operations with my guild and that's important to the game, but they're more fun because I have a stronger feeling of attachment to the characters I play than I ever did in other MMOs.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

VesstaraKai
11.08.2012 , 02:28 PM | #274
Quote: Originally Posted by Mevan View Post
You're joking right? Have you tried Call of Duty? Or a game designed for PvP? Don't complain that a PvE game is forcing you to do PvE content....

Have you not noticed how they make class changes based on PvPers whining about class imbalances? My Inquisitor has to face the target to knock them back now (which, due to the camera being unreliable, means many wasted uses of the ability), thanks to the "disgusting" treatment of the PvP community. PvP affecting PvE on a PvE game... That is disgusting...
This. Thank you for defending the obvious intention of the game. When they said "we never expected PVP to be so popular", they meant that they didnt design the game to revolve around pvp, and so it shouldnt. PVP is fine and great as it is. Sure we could use some more warzones, but how about a little more content first, rather than making devs waste time tweaking and retweaking things that work fine the way they are?

Rydlin
11.08.2012 , 03:15 PM | #275
Quote: Originally Posted by VesstaraKai View Post
This. Thank you for defending the obvious intention of the game. When they said "we never expected PVP to be so popular", they meant that they didnt design the game to revolve around pvp, and so it shouldnt. PVP is fine and great as it is. Sure we could use some more warzones, but how about a little more content first, rather than making devs waste time tweaking and retweaking things that work fine the way they are?
thats right. Many other mmo's fail in this department and yes I hear the other play types and understand your issues. But what you have is 3 types of gamers (RP, PVE, and PVP) RP and PVE are given more and talked about more by the devs. PVP is getting next to nothing and no responses. This game had overloaded servers to begin with and as pvp was brushed aside so did a huge scale of players. The issue was never having to pay, it was the lack of PVP that drives us to play. And still no answers to the pvp community as this thread is over loaded with us complaining and want to be acknoldged that you hear us. If you devs don't know what to do here is an easy suggestion: make 3 seperate threads on suggestion to fix-1 what RPers suggest, 2 what pve suggest, and 3 what PVP suggest. And don't leave us hanging, make comments urself so we know we r heard. The majority of us post not to troll but what to help the game. We want the best gaming experiense but we don't get it and we feel ignored.

Pvtcarnage
11.08.2012 , 03:48 PM | #276
This sort of thing is nothing new, but how can they claim they are going to improve the game when they post stuff like this....

When we decided to go Free-to-Play earlier this year, we had weeks of discussion with everyone on the team about where we thought the game was going, what we thought was going right and what was going wrong. We uncovered a lot of issues, but three things really stood out:

1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

3. The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow. People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.

1. If the game was so awesome why did it bleed so many subs?
2 & 3. The subscription was not driving people away it was #3 which made the sub not worth it to some. And obvious other issues.

And then to follow that up with.

But we know there is more we can do, more you want us to do. So today, I thought it might be more useful to dive into some more granular and “hot” topics.

Topic #1: Staff: Why are some developers leaving The Old Republic™? How will the game be affected?
Spoiler

Topic #2: Bugs: How does testing work? Why do bugs get through? Why did Game Update 1.4 have so many of them? What are we doing to improve the process?
Spoiler
Topic #3: Oceanic populations. Are we doing anything about them?
Spoiler

Really?? those are HOT issues? Do they even read the forums?
"Equality is a perversion of the natural order!…It binds the strong to the weak. They [the weak] become anchors that drag the exceptional down to mediocrity. Individuals destined and deserving of greatness have it denied them.
-Darth Bane

TUXs
11.08.2012 , 03:52 PM | #277
Quote: Originally Posted by Pvtcarnage View Post
Really?? those are HOT issues? Do they even read the forums?
Obviously not. They're too busy telling themselves the sub was the reason people left...they completely ignore the state of PvP, 4 measly Ops that have a week long lockout, guilds being meaningless and things as basic as forced name changes. These things all add up.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

smexymage
11.08.2012 , 03:55 PM | #278
They listed the sub fee as one reason, not the only reason. I agree that it does not appear to be a major factor, the frequency of updates was, which was also mentioned.
. Never Forget

simplius
11.08.2012 , 04:15 PM | #279
Quote: Originally Posted by Rydlin View Post
And yet again you ignore the biggest topic on peoples minds, PvP. How this wasn't top of your list of reasons you went FTP is beyond me. Everyone I know who has quit, quit over PvP after the balance changes in 1.2. Everyone I know who would like to come back but won't, won't because PvP is still a big mess from 1.2. You should change that top point to read;

1. Our PvP was awesome. Now people hate it and don't want to play it.

You've even admitted it yourselves, you had no idea PvP was going to be so popular, so why are you not doing more about it? There are millions of avid PvP'ers out there and SWTOR could be a real home, but it will never be a home to those players if you keep on ignoring your existing ones. Serious changes need to be made to make PvP a hospitable environment again, which means you need to start seriously listening to your player-base.

Stop ignoring your PvP community, it's beyond a joke now. I can't even begin to describe how little respect I have for you as a games company after the way you've treated the PvP community, it's disgusting, it really is. If serious changes aren't made when FTP hits, I'm out of here, and I won't be the only one I can assure you. And that's not even counting all the potential FTP customers PvP will put off right from the get go given the state it's in now.

Ignoring the problem won't make it go away, it will however have serious repercussions for the game, like it already has...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit it right their. Just like many other MMO's the pvp comunity is looked down on like we don't exist compared to everyone else and we get ignored. The guild I had played with for yrs has quit ( over a hundred payed subscription members) and now only a cple of us left and it is becouse PVP is seriously hurting. Lots of great suggestions in the forums for fixing and brining back world pvp but we here nothing.

So please Devs, let us know you hear us so we don't feel ignored and wake up cuz its not the paying that drove them away, its the fact that you abandoned us and fail to aknowledge us and the truth. its like you hear only what you want to hear and not the people like you need to because we play the game. loose us and loose your job. I understand their is a lot to read in the forums but the majority on this thread is telling you PVP needs a proper fix. get it right and you may get those who quit back.
oh yea, i wish they would invent some kind of special server , just for PVPers

and special maps too, just for their use

please do feel free to tweak game mechanics to please them too,,even on PVE servers

elitenz
11.08.2012 , 04:36 PM | #280
Real issues in this game are support and some of the management team due to the decisions that have been made. In game support item guys need to relax a little more and stop being so selfish with not helping players redeem lost items or loot they never received.

So the biggest turn off for me was support it's very poor grade and I know lots more people got sick of it and left.