Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why no Stealth for Snipers???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why no Stealth for Snipers???

GalaxyStrong
11.08.2012 , 01:45 PM | #1
Noob Question

Why don't Sniper's get Stealth. I would really love to have it for my sniper. Is it a balancing issue and if so could someone please explain why? I feel like im missing out on part of the Agent Experince without the stealth ability.

Thank you
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

orpheus
11.08.2012 , 01:55 PM | #2
we don't need stealth - we are a max range dps class

TheNahash
11.08.2012 , 01:55 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
Noob Question

Why don't Sniper's get Stealth. I would really love to have it for my sniper. Is it a balancing issue and if so could someone please explain why? I feel like im missing out on part of the Agent Experince without the stealth ability.

Thank you
Stealth is for classes that need to be as close to the enemy as possible to do damage (aka melee classes).
Stealth on a Sniper would make absolutely no sense. It wouldn't exactly be overpowered...it probably would be just stupid.

Wolfninjajedi
11.08.2012 , 02:01 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
Stealth is for classes that need to be as close to the enemy as possible to do damage (aka melee classes).
Stealth on a Sniper would make absolutely no sense. It wouldn't exactly be overpowered...it probably would be just stupid.
RL Snipers and Hunters would like a word. :P Stealth is key for Snipers, in making sure the enemy or animal doesn't spot or hear them. But anyway this is a game OP, so there needs to be some balance here and there.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

chuixupu
11.08.2012 , 02:57 PM | #5
As cool as it would be for story and lore aspects, in a game with a PVP environment it would be game-breaking.
At least in the game's current state. Some time in the future when everyone's abilities have evolved and grown it could happen to some degree.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

GalaxyStrong
11.08.2012 , 03:19 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
As cool as it would be for story and lore aspects, in a game with a PVP environment it would be game-breaking.
At least in the game's current state. Some time in the future when everyone's abilities have evolved and grown it could happen to some degree.
oooohhhhhhhhhh, did not think about PVP.

Makes sense now.

I only PVE so, I didnt even think about that.
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

TheNahash
11.08.2012 , 03:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
RL Snipers and Hunters would like a word. :P Stealth is key for Snipers, in making sure the enemy or animal doesn't spot or hear them. But anyway this is a game OP, so there needs to be some balance here and there.
There's stealth and there's camouflage.
Stealth might not exist IRL, but if it did, I doubt anyone would use it to stay 30meters away from the prey and not move as close to it as possible.
And as for hunters, yeah, they could use stealth...if they're hunting with knives! (thus making them the RL Operatives )

steaktrooper
11.08.2012 , 10:25 PM | #8
Think about it this way, there is a sniper,who can line up a 5-6k crit in one shot, and is stealthed. He lines up the shot, hits you and you are dead before you know it. Gamebreaking much?
Lembar Romdoro Agenros Cavteff
Sith Covenant / Jedi Covenant @ The Harbinger

Letsjet
11.11.2012 , 12:21 AM | #9
Snipers? Using Steatlh? That's absurd. ... Man it's hot. Let me put down my Barrett .50 and take off my ghillie suit.
"I see you have constructed a new light saber. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful as the Emperor has foreseen."

Grayseven
11.11.2012 , 04:24 AM | #10
Not all RL snipers use stealth. They use cover though in ways that mimic stealth and herein lies the dilemma.

I could see a cover/stealth option for snipers though this would be little more than a "I'm hiding" thing and would be bloody annoying in world PvP since I can just see all these snipers hanging out around quest objectives/turn in sites popping every Rep that walks up.

RL and game balance often find themselves at odds. This is one of them. If IA snipers were to get something like this I'd imagine the best way to do it would be to mask the agent as an area appropriate object that, if moused over, could be targeted. In this way a clever IA sniper could have his concealment but smart players would be able to realize that the rock in the middle of the road probably shouldn't be there.

Maybe we'll see something like this down the line, but right now as the ranged damage dealers it would severely overpower the class/spec.
Sometimes you narfle the Garthok, sometimes the Garthok narfles you.