Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Please stop telling people to press spacebar

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please stop telling people to press spacebar

Elysith's Avatar


Elysith
11.07.2012 , 04:21 AM | #181
The game is designed to give priority to the player who wants to listen to dialogues and watch cut-scenes, within reason since there is still a timer involved possible choice.

That's how the game is supposed to work either in Story or Hard Mode and you can obviously expect in PUG to meet someone not "spacebarring" for his own reasons: it could be his first time, or it could be he simply enjoy it every time, or simply he does not like rushing through the dialogues.

Enjoying the game is not only about rushing fights and grinding gears. Every player enjoys SWTOR for his own reasons.

Same goes for people complaining that a tank is doing all the bonuses, or not skipping lower level enemies and complaining he should just rush toward the bosses for loot.

When teaming with random players, if one wishes to play a "spacebar", "boss rush", "barehand only", "kinky naked run" or whatever specific style, then one should expressly state so. So others can choose accordingly to group with him or not.

The problem is not about "spacebarring" or not, it's just about the lack of communication.

Some people don't want to take the time to talk a minimum when randomly grouping ( I really just mean few words to clear things up before starting), then they should not be surprised to encounter misunderstandings once into the action.

On a related sidenote, the current Group Finder implementation is not enough on a social aspect, as it does not allow more filtering or input information other than TANK, DPS or HEAL

AMulls's Avatar


AMulls
11.07.2012 , 09:35 AM | #182
I agree with the OP and see his point. Yelling at someone to spacebar serves no purpose. People know they can spacebar through conversations at this point, so if they aren't doing it, generally, it's because they want to see the cut scenes. If that's a problem for you, then deal with it how you will (watch the scenes, quit group, or vote to kick).

Here are a few of my questions though, for the "spacebar advocates" our there.

1. You say you've played the FPs 1000s of times, but you spacebar through, so how many times have you actually seen the cutscenes? I admit, I generally default spacebar, so I miss the cutscenes and end up just sitting on the choice part and waiting for everyone else to catch up. Sometimes it is nice to actually watch the cutscenes, though and enjoy the story in this "story driven mmo."

2. As has been pointed out, how much time is actually saved by spacebarring through every cutscene (outside of Esseles/Black Talon)? Is it really that important that you shave 5-10 minutes off the run, so that you can go sit in the fleet and do nothing? Complaining that someone is wasting your time in a video game seems a little ironic to me, since games are, by their very nature, time wasters.

3. Do you see the irony in complaining about a lack of content coming out when you don't even take advantage of the content you have? I am just as guilty as anyone else of skipping mobs, bosses, etc. and spacebarring through cutscenes. But that is content, whether it's your first time doing it or your 100th time. So, to complain that EA/Bioware is not putting out more content, so that you can do as little of it as possible when it comes out, seems a little disingenuous to me.

Anyway, just my two cents. Not calling anyone out or attacking anyone, just offering some food for thought.

Xenirath's Avatar


Xenirath
11.07.2012 , 09:38 AM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by AMulls View Post

2. As has been pointed out, how much time is actually saved by spacebarring through every cutscene (outside of Esseles/Black Talon)? Is it really that important that you shave 5-10 minutes off the run, so that you can go sit in the fleet and do nothing? Complaining that someone is wasting your time in a video game seems a little ironic to me, since games are, by their very nature, time wasters..
I tend to spacebar so that I can have that 5-10 minutes from the flashpoint and apply that time on my Dailies x (3 Characters), HM Fps x (3 characters), and maybe an OP or two depending on day/lockouts.

I don't mind watching them though. Just prefer a quicker run.
The Three Topics Better Not Discussed Online:
1)Religion
2)Politics
3)Which Videogames are Better

Cupelixx's Avatar


Cupelixx
11.07.2012 , 09:48 AM | #184
Quote: Originally Posted by Elysith View Post
The game is designed to give priority to the player who wants to listen to dialogues and watch cut-scenes, within reason since there is still a timer involved possible choice.

That's how the game is supposed to work either in Story or Hard Mode and you can obviously expect in PUG to meet someone not "spacebarring" for his own reasons: it could be his first time, or it could be he simply enjoy it every time, or simply he does not like rushing through the dialogues.

Enjoying the game is not only about rushing fights and grinding gears. Every player enjoys SWTOR for his own reasons.

Same goes for people complaining that a tank is doing all the bonuses, or not skipping lower level enemies and complaining he should just rush toward the bosses for loot.

When teaming with random players, if one wishes to play a "spacebar", "boss rush", "barehand only", "kinky naked run" or whatever specific style, then one should expressly state so. So others can choose accordingly to group with him or not.

The problem is not about "spacebarring" or not, it's just about the lack of communication.

Some people don't want to take the time to talk a minimum when randomly grouping ( I really just mean few words to clear things up before starting), then they should not be surprised to encounter misunderstandings once into the action.

On a related sidenote, the current Group Finder implementation is not enough on a social aspect, as it does not allow more filtering or input information other than TANK, DPS or HEAL
The first sentence is the truth of the matter, and what many people fail to understand. One should never assume that everyone will spacebar unless it's discussed. This has nothing to do with non-skippers being rude, inconsiderate, holding up the group, "majority rules" or any of that. It's also not a valid reason to criticize them, blacklist them, or try to kick them from the group. Unless stated before the group gets rolling, the only assumption you should make is that people are going to watch the cutscenes. Not the other way around.
Please un-break Slicing lockbox missions.

AMulls's Avatar


AMulls
11.07.2012 , 10:07 AM | #185
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenirath View Post
I tend to spacebar so that I can have that 5-10 minutes from the flashpoint and apply that time on my Dailies x (3 Characters), HM Fps x (3 characters), and maybe an OP or two depending on day/lockouts.

I don't mind watching them though. Just prefer a quicker run.
Oh, I certainly agree with you here. I know that that time can add up, especially when trying to run through things on multiple 50s. I have 3 50s (on one server that I play) and I know how frustrating it is to get bogged down while trying to run through dailies. Anything that slows down that process is a headache.

But when I actually stop to think about it, what am I really hurrying for? So, I can then log off the game? Especially since there isn't much else to do, beyond dailies and FPs/Ops. Granted I am an altaholic, so it helps me get to those alts without neglecting my 50s, but it's not a huge issue to me one way or the other.

That said, if someone in the group is yelling about spacebar, something I do (along with some of my guildies) is to join in the shouting, all the while intentionally NOT hitting spacebar, just to annoy that person and confuse the hell out of them about the identity of the actual culprit.

Whereas, if you ask the group nicely ("do you guys mind if we spacebar through the cutscenes?"), then I'm much more inclined to go with the group's wishes.

Styxx's Avatar


Styxx
11.08.2012 , 05:53 AM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by Cupelixx View Post
For reference, I do spacebar usually. But I won't stand for people trying to force it on others. Regardless, if I don't want to spacebar, I don't need the group's permission. Not asking "can I please watch these" is not rude or "wasting everyone's time". Watching the cutscenes is the default action. Spacebar is the exception.
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
That's good because it makes no sense. The story dialogue is there. If the player does nothing, the story will play. Spacebarring is the anomaly. It is offered for those who wish it, but it is not how the Flashpoint works by default. You are asking to change the status quo. You should take the responsibility to find a group that wishes to play that way.
Actually, the one against the majority is the anomaly. Or not doing what is expected.

Because, if a vote is asked and 3 vote spacebar, you are the anomaly.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Bredeweg's Avatar


Bredeweg
11.08.2012 , 08:15 AM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
This is one of the many reasons I don't pug.
indeed that is also the reason i dont pug i run with a group of friends who enjoy the story line of the Flashpoint. plus im a tank so i can find another group rather quickly if i get the boot from the impatient pew pew blow stuff up now players
Lucaus - 55 Guardian | Aboleth - 50 Juggernaut | Kota - 41 Vanguard |

tankthing's Avatar


tankthing
11.08.2012 , 08:19 AM | #188
As repeated so often in this thread, it's not about asking to spacebar, it's the overall rudeness in the game by people wanting to rush and ruining play for people new to the content. We've all got to start somewhere. I've made my point clear by voting to kick spacebar freaks. If somebody wants to do the content, let them, if they don't then spacebar away.

Yes, it really is about rudeness. Requiring spacebar for all players in a given run is all about enforcing your rules on them. I am fed up with that type of behavior enough that I can, have and will jump down the throat of the person being rude.

I don't care how you feel about spacebars, I care that I will have people to play with tomorrow and the next day when you've rushed on to the next big thing and I'm still happy with SWTOR. Trolling, being rude and rushing ahead of the tank are all destroying the game for new players and are bad things in my book. Those activities will get the idiots killed repeatedly until we either get tired of them being an idiot and boot em out or they rage quit because healers can heal almost everything except terminal stupidity.

I have said it before and I'll say it again: if somebody wants to be rude in one of my runs, they need to prepare to be dumped out at the bottom of the queue because my life is too short to feed their sense of self-entitlement. Their entitlement ends where it interferes with any other person's ability to enjoy the game.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
11.08.2012 , 09:05 AM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by tankthing View Post
I have said it before and I'll say it again: if somebody wants to be rude in one of my runs, they need to prepare to be dumped out at the bottom of the queue because my life is too short to feed their sense of self-entitlement. Their entitlement ends where it interferes with any other person's ability to enjoy the game.
The ONLY people who are feeling "entitled" are the ones on either side of this who refuse to accept the other side.

Both spacebar spammers and the lonely who wanna watch the videos for the 100th time, are fully ENTITLED to play the way they like. The group is also ENTITLED to react how they want, including kicking either of these people.

It's an MMO. When you do things as a group, group majority rules.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Trollokdamus's Avatar


Trollokdamus
11.08.2012 , 09:35 AM | #190
Quote: Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
Actually, the one against the majority is the anomaly. Or not doing what is expected.

Because, if a vote is asked and 3 vote spacebar, you are the anomaly.
The one against the majority may look like an anomaly in their eyes since he refuses to play the way they want him to play. But the true anomaly in the grand scheme of things is the said majority. You can't deny that watching the story is a default way of playing through a FP, no matter normal or hc, which is intended by Bioware. Skipping the story, on the other hand, is just a side option for cases when the entire group is willing to do so.