Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rydlin
11.07.2012 , 09:09 PM | #261
And yet again you ignore the biggest topic on peoples minds, PvP. How this wasn't top of your list of reasons you went FTP is beyond me. Everyone I know who has quit, quit over PvP after the balance changes in 1.2. Everyone I know who would like to come back but won't, won't because PvP is still a big mess from 1.2. You should change that top point to read;

1. Our PvP was awesome. Now people hate it and don't want to play it.

You've even admitted it yourselves, you had no idea PvP was going to be so popular, so why are you not doing more about it? There are millions of avid PvP'ers out there and SWTOR could be a real home, but it will never be a home to those players if you keep on ignoring your existing ones. Serious changes need to be made to make PvP a hospitable environment again, which means you need to start seriously listening to your player-base.

Stop ignoring your PvP community, it's beyond a joke now. I can't even begin to describe how little respect I have for you as a games company after the way you've treated the PvP community, it's disgusting, it really is. If serious changes aren't made when FTP hits, I'm out of here, and I won't be the only one I can assure you. And that's not even counting all the potential FTP customers PvP will put off right from the get go given the state it's in now.

Ignoring the problem won't make it go away, it will however have serious repercussions for the game, like it already has...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit it right their. Just like many other MMO's the pvp comunity is looked down on like we don't exist compared to everyone else and we get ignored. The guild I had played with for yrs has quit ( over a hundred payed subscription members) and now only a cple of us left and it is becouse PVP is seriously hurting. Lots of great suggestions in the forums for fixing and brining back world pvp but we here nothing.

So please Devs, let us know you hear us so we don't feel ignored and wake up cuz its not the paying that drove them away, its the fact that you abandoned us and fail to aknowledge us and the truth. its like you hear only what you want to hear and not the people like you need to because we play the game. loose us and loose your job. I understand their is a lot to read in the forums but the majority on this thread is telling you PVP needs a proper fix. get it right and you may get those who quit back.

chuixupu
11.07.2012 , 09:19 PM | #262
Well, I'm not a PVP'er personally, but one thing I can say is this: My guild used to be full of PVP'ing every day. Now nobody PVPs, ever. I used to hear abut how fun it was, now everyone just stopped. So even without experiencing it personally, I feel the above statement must be true.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Deewe
11.07.2012 , 10:28 PM | #263
Quote:
Hello everyone,

**snip**

Jeff Hickman
Executive Producer
Dear Sir,

in case you are wondering in others MMO people are getting two way communication and the producers after such posts usually step in to address the main concerns.

The choice is in your hands.

Regards,
D.

Mevan
11.07.2012 , 10:59 PM | #264
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
And I chose a PvP server because I don't enjoy PvE. You don't see me threatening to quit because that gameplay style is "forced" upon me time and time again.
You're joking right? Have you tried Call of Duty? Or a game designed for PvP? Don't complain that a PvE game is forcing you to do PvE content....

Quote: Originally Posted by Rydlin View Post
Stop ignoring your PvP community, it's beyond a joke now. I can't even begin to describe how little respect I have for you as a games company after the way you've treated the PvP community, it's disgusting, it really is.
Have you not noticed how they make class changes based on PvPers whining about class imbalances? My Inquisitor has to face the target to knock them back now (which, due to the camera being unreliable, means many wasted uses of the ability), thanks to the "disgusting" treatment of the PvP community. PvP affecting PvE on a PvE game... That is disgusting...

mcpark
11.07.2012 , 11:32 PM | #265
Wow and i mean wow thats alot of smoke blown up my ***. Just sayin with the massive smuldering pile you guys truned this game into im guessing smoke isnt in short demand. Fix the game were over the bug story tiried of being told its all on our end and starting to get overly angry with you ppl. Love the game but the bugs you guys let in with 1.4 might kill this thing if you dont do something about them soon.

iSoldat
11.07.2012 , 11:54 PM | #266
I wonder if the issues with content and features aren't really an issue regarding the developers, but more about limitations with the game engine. Face it, they spent a lot of money on voice-overs and skimped on the most important part of an MMO; a scalable engine.

Games like EQ1 had more and better features at release than TOR and it was released in 99 and it still has subscribers even though it went F2P this year.

DDO which released in Feb 06 had integrated VoIP. I played DDO, couldn't stand WoW becoming the modern day baby-sitter. However, I left DDO when it went F2P, but the VoIP feature was awesome. I never had to worry about having the right voice client for groups or raids and then going through the setup up for everyones individual settings.

The executive who made the engine decision should go the way Burger King's exective went when they switched fries. The voice-overs are nice, but I'd have been just as happy with chat bubbles. Had I been in charge, only class (and maybe planet series) missions would have had voice.

After I read the WAR/Hickman article, I'll probably do the same thing I did with WAR, unsub/uninstall.

SilverDrake
11.08.2012 , 12:53 AM | #267
For those who think that this is troll or hate post - please don't. I just had enough.

Game was incomplete from the get-go. I remember watching re-spawns deployed by shuttles on Ord Mantel, while there is no other nice cover for re-spawn on any planet, except maybe for Korriban when those monstrosities crawl out of the floor. Next planet you visit you won't see this cosmetics.

After second planet any planet falls into same pattern, nothing unique besides textures whatsoever. So we know what that means. Developers just pulled together what they had and released what they could. So we played stories, 'soul-numbed' (well said before on massively) by grinding levels on tedious tasks in-between, 'fascinated' with WoW-like combat (which I find revolting). We did it all.

We talked about all problems game has. We offered our feedback. We still do - look at posts in this thread. A bunch of bright fellas told you back in beta about game's problems. You did nothing.

And now, finally, you tell us: 'Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.'
Well, that's just great. No, game sucks. People play SWTOR for different reasons, but very little percent of subscription base - if any at all - plays it because it's awesome.

Then you wrote: 'The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.'
Problems I mentioned above drive away huge number of people. Huuuuuge. Not subscription requirement. Don't try to make FTP conversion look as consequence and solution of game's problems. It is desperate try to make game profitable, that's what it is.

'The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow.'
The quality of game updates way too low.

'People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.'
No one can cook updates fast enough. Players always consume content much faster then it is developed. It is quality of released content and new innovative features keep players busy and happy.

I won't even mention your answers to questions. Brrr.

I'm very sad to see such 'state of the game' article. To take reader for a fool is to show disrespect. You don't even admit real problems and talk about anything but true state of the game. Don't try to sell us car, please.

Spinikar
11.08.2012 , 12:56 AM | #268
I can understand why you have stated that you don't want to merge the servers for the APAC and force players onto a server type, but really, HAVE you read the forum topics on this issues? HAVE you read how many players and guilds WANT Mergers/Transfers?

Leave the servers up if it means that much to you, I think its great that you want to provide the option for those players who want a specific server type, But can't you at least consider transferring the ones that have requested a transfer?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548862
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548871
"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul."
419 Empire Guild Leader
spinikar@419guild.com

tarkkonis
11.08.2012 , 03:30 AM | #269
Quote: Originally Posted by BadOrb View Post
Hi Jeff I really enjoyed reading your introduction to this "state-of-the-game" thread. Especially how long you have worked on MMO's and what you have done within the industry since 2000 , I have played MMO's since 2000 weirdly and realise how much fun and stress you must have had. Also your background information about why some dev's leave/have left is very insightful as there have been a lot of threads about various dev's leaving and they have been mostly very negative.
Troll much?

DarthEshla
11.08.2012 , 07:23 AM | #270
I am a current sub and love the game with no plans to leave any time soon. One thing I think needs to be looked at is the end game gear design. I play a sith Sorc. as my main and my gear looks nothing like any sith I have seen in a movie, cartoon, art, or comic. I would rather look like a proper sith lord. Then a space wizard with plant life and skulls on me.