Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
11.07.2012 , 03:07 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone,

Please discuss the Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option blog in this thread!

Joveth edit: I just want to point out one thing: this blog was written a few weeks ago, so if it reads that way...well, that's why!
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Fireheat
11.07.2012 , 03:58 PM | #2
This seems promising!

MidichIorian
11.07.2012 , 03:59 PM | #3
Darn it, someone beat me to it.

Everything was old info so I don't really get what this was for.

Edit: reading Joveth's post below confirms my suspicions. At first I was like "does he mean that they've put the alpha on the live servers?".

JovethGonzalez
11.07.2012 , 03:59 PM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I just want to point out one thing: this blog was written a few weeks ago, so if it reads that way...well, that's why!

steaktrooper
11.07.2012 , 04:00 PM | #5
Personally I think that the "subscribers will not have any degration in gameplay experience" part should be number one rule

EDIT: Oh
Lembar Romdoro Agenros Cavteff
Sith Covenant / Jedi Covenant @ The Harbinger

Darth_Rathus
11.07.2012 , 04:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by steaktrooper View Post
personally i think that the "subscribers will not have any degration in gameplay experience" part should be number one rule
^ this ^

Urael
11.07.2012 , 04:08 PM | #7
Quote:
The first core rule is that we want to be sure that players can reach level 50 without paying a cent, if so desired. The final design meets this requirement: Free-to-Play players can play levels 1 through 50 and enjoy the vast majority of the classic storyline and side quests during their journey.
What is to stop people from leaving after level 50?

This addage applies here: "If you are giving the milk away for free, why would they buy the cow?"

Quote:
And we have not forgotten about those of you who once had accounts, but cancelled. We are hoping to get you to come back and play! Any player who has ever paid a monthly subscription fee will be given Preferred Status automatically when Free-to-Play option is launched. Players with Preferred Status do not face the same limitations as a Free-to-Play player and will find that some restrictions are either removed or greatly reduced.

In addition, Preferred Status can be earned by any Free-to-Play player who spends a minimum of $4.99 at our web store.
So basically everyone that ever had an account will be Preffered Status and anyone who ONLY pays the minimum of ~$5 US. FOREVER? It is not stipulated. If one only has to pay for a slightly degraded subscription for a one time fee of ~$5 US. Why would they ever subscribe?

Anyone else see the flaws in this plan?

Jabbathechuck
11.07.2012 , 04:09 PM | #8
When does F2P go "live"?? also im excited to finaly have more players "IG"!

Korban_HoD
11.07.2012 , 04:11 PM | #9
I must say, deminishing the game experience for people who bought the game at first, should never, ever ,ever be something a gaming company should strive for. Even when F2P, we have paid for it, pre paid, bought it for a lot more than later joiners of the game.

I don't see why quick bars and cargo hold should be denied any kind of player - period.

Izorii
11.07.2012 , 04:12 PM | #10
In a strange way I actually think they will hit the targets they set out for themselves. The free to play model looks to do exactly what it says on the tin. No change for subscribers, free to play an option, new outfits, pets and speeders to buy. I think they have done a very safe cash shop.

However - Personaly I dont like the random loot boxes. They just smack of cash sinks for people to try and get new uber loot in the boxes. Also I would have liked them to put some things in the cash shop which would actually have made me say cool. New space ships, new species, new compaions. However I think BW is playing it safe and doing a standard cash shop.