Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

Captain_Zone
11.06.2012 , 07:58 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
But as I said, there are no fans to do so.
EDIT: In a simplified and more blatant way: no one cares
There are quite a lot more Expanded Universe fans than you think, bud.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Nydus
11.07.2012 , 11:32 AM | #102
I have a story that will save the Extended Universe!

The premise:
Spoiler

This is gold.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

MasterMe
11.07.2012 , 11:44 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
I have a story that will save the Extended Universe!

The premise:
Spoiler

This is gold.

- Arcada
hmmmm. that sounds familiar! lol That's Star Trek isn't it?

Beniboybling
11.07.2012 , 12:01 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
hey now the EU fanboys who like the EU more then the movies care... but yeah seeing as they are less then 1% of the total star wars fanbase it doesn't matter.

Of course even then they will just complain on forums and then still see the movies and buy all the books anyway. Just like they did with the prequels.
Exactly, for these guys to complain - they have to see the films first. The common movie-goer only sees a film at the cinema once, and maybe buy it on DVD. This is what Disney is expecting, so they won't be phased. These guys literally can't go wrong, even if its absolute rubbish, it will still make billions. In short, these guys aren't to worried about the EU.

EDIT: And hey, guess what fanboys! George Lucas is the only one who can save your precious post-ROTJ EU! You know, that guy your always hating on and who doesn't like you! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Beniboybling
11.07.2012 , 12:22 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
I'm afraid there aren't.

I'll give you my post to this reply, someone arguing a similar point to you (although on a ridiculously blown up scale)
Quote:
Or let's say Disney throws it out and makes it's own EU like some claim they already have. So now you may as well burn all those books, [thousands of pages of written lore] since they would never happen. Wookieepedia, yep may as well burn the servers it's on as all of it's non-movie information (90% of it) is irrelevant now. And now people are mad at the death of the EU and that will cut into Di$ney'$ profit$ when nobody buys those books that are still in print.

See what i'm getting at?
My (rather aggravated) reply.

Quote:
I have no idea, you seem to be implying that the post-ROTJ era makes up the largest majority of the Star Wars universe which is quite far-fetched and simply untrue. Or are you saying that 13,000,000,000 years of events in the Star Wars universe makes up 10% of Star Wars? Whereas 138 years represents 90%? Whatsmore, the new trilogy would probably only cover 4 years, max. So wiping out the entirety of post-ROTJ is impossible. Finally, less than 1% of Star Wars fans and general moviegoers love or like this era, so seeing it damaged would not affect them or annoy them in the slightest And about 0.8% of those can be placated through Disney erasing the rubbish stuff (e.g. Yuzavuza whatever and Palpatine getting cloned) and taking elements of EU such as Thrawn and Mara Jade and implementing them into the film. Hence only 0.2% (probably very vocal) star wars fans will be annoyed by this move and less than 10% of the post-ROTJ era will be affected.
And this was my reply to someone who dared question my facts

Quote:
Ok, so I probably fabricated that figure a bit. However its not completely untrue. I remember someone posted some how much money the franchise makes out of anything - managed to find it

As you can see book sales (which I believe includes comics, basically represents the EU) make up only 7% of revenue. While movie sales (including DVD's) makes up 30%. Seeing as the post-ROTJ EU only makes up a tiny fraction of that 7% we can assume that around 1% or less, probably less, love or like them.
So in a nut shell: no one cares

EDIT:
is that why the Expanded universe books only sell in the 100,000s? There aren't as many EU fans as you think bud.

also as we have seen with the Prequels the EU fans will rage for a day then keep buying the books.

Hell there are more people who watch the Clone Wars series then have ever read a EU book.
This^^

jarjarloves
11.07.2012 , 12:31 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
is that why the Expanded universe books only sell in the 100,000s? There aren't as many EU fans as you think bud.

also as we have seen with the Prequels the EU fans will rage for a day then keep buying the books.

Hell there are more people who watch the Clone Wars series then have ever read a EU book.

Inzuher
11.07.2012 , 01:02 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
I just want them to retcon everything except the 6 movies. There should be no reason that Disney doesn't go their own direction with movies, comics, t.v. shows or anything else. Im sorry but im old and anything star wars past RoTJ has sucked. Jedi Knight 2 was playable but seriously we need a retcon on anything past EP.6
That is so selfish of you!

Plenty of fans are DIE HARD fans of the corrent EU and i would be furious and I mean FURIOUS! If disney start making all the EU uncanon, I mean hell even the game we are playing now is part of the EU, and it has small parts of a ton of other stories in it. The star wars univers is a united entity and not just the movies! Hell I enjoyed the Darth Bane trilogy more than some of the movies, and the same goes for Legacy of the Force.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".

jarjarloves
11.07.2012 , 01:07 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzuher View Post
That is so selfish of you!

Plenty of fans are DIE HARD fans of the corrent EU and i would be furious and I mean FURIOUS! If disney start making all the EU uncanon, I mean hell even the game we are playing now is part of the EU, and it has small parts of a ton of other stories in it. The star wars univers is a united entity and not just the movies! Hell I enjoyed the Darth Bane trilogy more than some of the movies, and the same goes for Legacy of the Force.
it's really not as many as you think. Like less then 1% of them are diehard EU fans and we all know after the Prequels they were still huge fans.

AlyxDinas
11.07.2012 , 01:27 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
They could, but I'm almost certain they won't. My guess the entire EU and every character in it is about to become non-canon.
More likely there are just two diverging branches from the tree that is the two trilogies. One is the EU. Another is the "movie universe".
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

Inzuher
11.07.2012 , 01:30 PM | #110
it's really not as many as you think. Like less then 1% of them are diehard EU fans and we all know after the Prequels they were still huge fans.
I would really like to see where those numbers come from because so far I have no reason to believe them. If the EU didn't sell they wouldn't produce stuff to it.

eitherway, my main concern is that since a lot of the events and characters is tied together in the EU. Change one wrong thing and you might effect several storylines. for instance lets say they make the Vong wars uncanon. Well alright they were rather boring anyways. however that would effect the character development of Jacen Solo meaning no Darth Caedus = the 8 Legacy of the Force books are uncanon, ups!

The same thing would happen if they should decide to kill some key character, lets for instance say they kill of Mara Jade before she originally die at the hands of Jacen. Well, first of all Ben Skywalker might not be burn, secondly Jacen would have to sacrifice someone else to become Darth Caedus = story is uncanon.

Then if that happened the Fate of the Jedi novels would also be uncanon since they are affected by the effects in Legacy of the Force etc.

As I said one stupide move might destroy a great many storyline and THEREFORE Disney need to be careful.

However, if they manage to do that there might come much good out of them buying Lucasfilms.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".