Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bowoci
11.07.2012 , 11:20 AM | #221
Also have to disagree with why you think players were leaving the game.

They left due to lack of content AND that the game was not 'worth' $15/mo to them. It had nothing to do with them not wanting to pay or not being able to afford a sub to play the game.

Now, I'd also like more specifics on what you're doing with the performance issues. On Sunday night several in our OP, myself included had multiple disconnects from the server and latency in the 18 to 20k range. Had this happen a couple weeks in a row now. I've also experienced these same disconnects from the server in HM FP's.

I love the game and intend to stay subbed. But, let's not blow smoke up everybody's butt. It needs a lot of work and much more content on a regular basis or people will not come back.

BadOrb
11.07.2012 , 11:29 AM | #222
Hi Jeff I really enjoyed reading your introduction to this "state-of-the-game" thread. Especially how long you have worked on MMO's and what you have done within the industry since 2000 , I have played MMO's since 2000 weirdly and realise how much fun and stress you must have had. Also your background information about why some dev's leave/have left is very insightful as there have been a lot of threads about various dev's leaving and they have been mostly very negative. Now for my two main wants for the game.

1. Speech bubbles.
2. Story quests progression ( chapter 4 onwards )

I realise that speech bubbles where in the beta , but someone pointed out that they caused performance issues. I believe they should be able to be turned off and you could make them localised ( maybe tied to the /say function ? ). Anyway the main reason why I want these is to make the game more fun and more like my type of mmo , tbh at the moment just using general chat doesn't cut it , for the fun factor at all and I'm used to games such as PSO , PSU etc.

As for the class story quests progression , well I understand that many really love end-game but for how long ? I believe that we should be looking at at least a whole new chapter per year and yes that probably is 2 planets worth per year and I realise that will be tough to do but i assure you it will keep and bring subs to this game.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Kelbun
11.07.2012 , 11:32 AM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by Ketchum View Post
First off: I love your tattoo. I love you.

Next, I wanna say that I love the game as is. I do not agree with a lot of the decisions the team has made in terms demanded by the vocal minorities here on the forums, but I still love this game, and I will never stop paying a sub to play the complete game, the way it's supposed to be and continue supporting BioWare. With that said, i wanna tell you that you can't please everyone, as you well know, and no matter what you do, if you update the game every week and give into every radical demand on the forums, people will still quit playing (hell, I'll do so if you go that far) so please, PLEASE keep in mind that this is your game and you once had goals and ambitions of what this game should be. These things have since been thrown out the corporate window. Saying again that I love this game and i love BioWare, I want to add that it would please me greatly if you went back to your roots with this game. Make it a story-based MMO once more and ignore the elitists and haters. Make it your game again!
I am not trying to insult this person, and we are all probably guilty of doing this at one point or another: Making statements like 'the vocal minority'. That is presumptive. Often I see and myself do this where we make statements on behalf of other players. So maybe a public poll is better. Make polls about different aspects of the game and let people vote and see the results. If players dont visit forms make an ingame way to vote on server topics.

One way to do this is be honest with players. We know you guys have been hemorrhaging staff nearly as fast as subs, so make a pole like this. " What would you like to see next: Pick one: A) Space combat PvP in 6 months, B) A new PvP battlefield in 2 months, C) A new FP in 3 months" That way youre letting us know what you can do in how much time then you let us decide which way for DEVs to go. This relieves you of the burden of people like me who get grumpy because we got better looking grass but huge lag due to a patch. I am sure if you had a poll asking if players gave a damn about how good the grass looked, you could have saved yourself some time and money.

Chiltonium
11.07.2012 , 12:00 PM | #224
I just want to say that I really like the fact he's doing this, its the one thing I always loved about Age of Conan / The Secret World, FunCom is -not- quiet with what they are doing.

They come out and say "hey we're doing this, we're fixing that, we've read people are angry with this, we're testing it ourself and seeing how we feel about it, blah blah."

The difference is when FunCom releases a state of the game, I feel as if they have actually been paying attention to the community and not just pulling the biggest threads they can find and pretending those are the most pressing topics.

I wish Jeff had browsed every forum, actually read some of the pressing issues, and commented on them. We already know about your content plan, we know about f2p, we know why the devs left, the only real info you gave us is that you are aware of APAC server issues.

You didnt touch on a lot of other things people are angry about, and I am only going to list ONE because its the most concerning to me right now.

When this game came out the Operative / Scoundrel classes Concealment / Scrapper tree had a 3 second knockdown, and burst of the gods. This needed to be addressed, and it was.They were nerfed. Then nerfed again. Then nerfed so badly that they are horrible. Then comes along 1.4 and everything you took from them you just gave to assassins. Is it not overpowered since a sith class has it?

Just -one- skill I'd like to look at in particular, for a comparison from each class. Backstab V Maul.

Backstab
base damage :1198 (max at 50 in standard green gear)
Cooldown : 12 seconds
Talents to increase damage : meticulously kept blades : 30% crit damage, waylay 4%damage.
Acid Blade : only appliable every 12 seconds out of stealth since backstab was nerfed to 12 secondsd from 8.

Maul
base damage: 1981 (max at 50 in standard green gear)
Cooldwon : 0
Talents to increase damage: 30% damage from duplicity (only a 9 sec internal CD fully talented, t1 talent), 30% crit damage from induction, t3 talent)

Holy hell. I am not even going to touch on the fact that volitic slash is spammable damage on par with shiv, discharge does double lacerates damage and ignores armor (internal damage), and the fact my deception assassin now has, after 3 crits (2 off volitic alone) same base damage resist as my guardian, and 25% more out of stealth / on use of blackout.

I am in no way saying nerf assassins, I think the changes were great for them. I am saying look at what you do to other classes before being huge hypocrites and giving it all + more to another class after taking it away.

So to sum it up, Id like to see issues people care about, but have heard nothing on covered, not things we already know.
Syasentas - 55 Operative
Syadestis - 55 Powertech
Syaseheth - 55 Assassin
SyasehethS - 55 Juggernaut (yea, same name with an s, so what, wanna fight about it?)

melodylane
11.07.2012 , 12:08 PM | #225
I'm glad to see them finally talking with the community and addressing some of the questions. So with that being said: when can we see some more story material. I have two 50's and an alt fast approching 50 and am getting bored running dailies and rolling alts to keep the game intresting. When will we see the class story lines continue and a raise in the level max?

"For some people this world ain't never gonna be right.... Maybe your Mattie's one of those people" ~ Doc Holiday -Tombstone-

tortcat
11.07.2012 , 12:13 PM | #226
You want people to test on the test server, but to truely be an effective test you need to allow people to copy over their high level charecters. it simply just does not make sense to not have that in place . IMHO thats why so many bugs creep thru, just not enough and enough variety of testing.

Kelbun
11.07.2012 , 12:22 PM | #227
How to fix resolve: Stunned, knocked back, slowed, or CC'd in anyway once, resolve becomes full and you cant be stunned or controlled again until determination is off cool down. No more chain CC's and now players have to chose the right moment to CC someone instead of using CC's as a mainstay of their tactics. FIXED!

cashogy
11.07.2012 , 12:31 PM | #228
good job addressing the issues the community most wants to hear

oh wait, you didnt

BadOrb
11.07.2012 , 12:35 PM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
good job addressing the issues the community most wants to hear

oh wait, you didnt
Goodjob asking state-of-the-game questions.

Oh wait you didn't. The whole point of this thread is to ask questions and they will try answer the most popular.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Izorii
11.07.2012 , 12:42 PM | #230
I have to say I like the idea of these state of the Game updates. I dont know if we will ever see another one, if any questions here will be answered or if it will fade into obsurity like so many other things. I have some questions and thoughts and I will put them in the order they are important to me.

1) New species. I am very bored with the playable species and dont really feel like I could create the character I wanted to play. Its hard to feel connected to what I see as a generic hero. Why have new more alien species not been introduced?

2) Kill, grind, que for flashpoints seems to be the end game content. What I feel we are missing is sand box and mini games. This kind of goes to point 1 if I can do other things other than the same dailys with a character and invest my time in house, guild, space ship and personalise him I will be more connected and want to play more. As is I am doing a few dailys and really dont feel conected to my characters so dont really care about him or the world he is in.

3) PvP really does not seem to work. Expertise sucks, basically I wont do PvP because of this stat and the fact that I will get slaughtered by a long time PvPer not because of skill but because my gear can not compete and the only way to get the gear is to PvP. Also with no world PvP, no objectives it leaves there to be no reason to PvP. This is normally one of the main end game events but most people view PvP in TOR to be broken. Open world PvP really needs a third faction but even without it there could be so much more with players fighting over a planet and actually taking and holding the entire planet gives bonus and rewards to the winning team.

To be fair this is a good game, however enough small things that I struggle with have added up that I bearly play and would be lucky to clock 2 hours a week. This then really does make me look at the sub prices, I dont think the sub prices would cause me to quit the lack of care about my character and what he has to do each week would cause me to leave the game.