Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Talvathir
11.07.2012 , 08:37 AM | #201
We don't care that there are bugs. Bugs are, unfortunately, a part of games. We don't want bugs, but we understand that they come with the territory.

We care about you ignoring the community. We try to help you help us, but you don't seem to care. Why the stonewalling of your paying, bug-reporting customers?

Nemmar
11.07.2012 , 08:39 AM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by Aubrac View Post
There are some excellent responses to the state of the game so I won't rehash what's already been said.

I've been a subscriber since pre-launch and for most of that time, I really enjoyed the game. I haven't played much in the last couple of months because most of my friends left for the exact same reasons stated above. We had/have a relatively large guild in WoW that raided regularly. When we started playing SW:TOR, we couldn't ever get enough people interested to even attempt the Operations here. I kept telling myself to "give it time" and Bioware will get it right and everyone will come back. About the time when everyone left is when Bioware decided to "clam up" and we had no feedback for many weeks. My hope for the future of the game started to wane then. Soon afterwards, the announcement came that the game would be going F2P. I've been monitoring the sparse communication about F2P and other content and the future looks bleaker and bleaker. The limitations placed on F2P/Preferred players don't encourage subscription, they practically require it in order to achieve a pleasant playing experience. I think most players may give the game a try but when they see how restrictive the game really is, they won't think about purchasing from the cash shop or subscribing, they'll just turn the game off and never look back.

The one main content update that is not specifically targeted at raiders or PvP'ers (i.e. HK-51) currently requires players to purchase a part that is only available in a free-for-all PvP area. Really? Players who chose to play on a PvE server chose so because they didn't want to PvP or wanted consensual PvP. I was pretty turned off by the idea of the "Gambling Boxes" and had thought about cancelling my subscription over it but I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and try before making a decision. The issue about the HK-51 vendor is over the line though. The fact that you disregard another's players server preference and gate their content with a playstyle they don't enjoy just to provide content to another segment of the playerbase was really the last straw. If the vendor goes live in a PvP zone then you will have made my decision quite simple for me and I'll not be subscribing anymore.
Aubrac, i dont think you understand what a PvE server is. A PvE server is not one where you're barred from PvP, but a server that does not incentivate it everywhere. They all still have Illum/Tatooine (world PvP) and battlegrounds.
Getting the HK part will take you 20 seconds. get in and get out. Is this post really justified? The place will probably be deserted aswell.

If you're that worried just ask a couple of guildies to tag along with you for safety.

Aubrac
11.07.2012 , 08:48 AM | #203
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
Aubrac, i dont think you understand what a PvE server is. A PvE server is not one where you're barred from PvP, but a server that does not incentivate it everywhere. They all still have Illum/Tatooine (world PvP) and battlegrounds.
Getting the HK part will take you 20 seconds. get in and get out. Is this post really justified? The place will probably be deserted aswell.

If you're that worried just ask a couple of guildies to tag along with you for safety.
No, I don't think you understand. Many people choose a PvE server because they DO NOT ENJOY PvP! It doesn't matter that it may take 20 seconds. It doesn't matter that you may be able to go in there and not see a soul. The fact is that Bioware put a required component for content that is supposed to be for everyone in an area that will flag you for PvP when you don't desire to participate in PvP. Up until now, every player could just avoid the Outlaw's Den and never look back. Now you must enter the area if you wish to experience the new content that is marketed as being for fans of KoTOR and like minds.

Why give people a choice of what server type to choose if you're going to force them to flag for PvP if they want to experience the available content?

There's already a large thread on this topic and I won't derail this thread any longer. I've expressed my opinion about Bioware's seemingly "out of touch" approach to player's desires and choices so I'll leave it at that.

Ifrica
11.07.2012 , 08:59 AM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post
Everybody has their own definition and limits as to what they'll pay.

/snip

(For the record, I also don't think many console games are worth buying for 50 euros. Console games have focused too much on pretty graphics and not enough on actual gameplay since the 360 came out. This has resulted in 100s of very beautiful but ultimately bland console games that fail to hold my attention. I now no longer purchase console games until they are reduced to 20 or less because I don't think they are worth the full price any more.)
Nice reply, and i understand the viewpoints, glad you saw my reaction as an opinion
and it's like you said, it's a personal opinion wether expectations are met or not, lets leave it at that

about the console games, i couldn't agree more, that's the main reason i now buy second hand console games for 5 euro

e.g. i've always been a final fantasy fan, and spent hours on 7/8/9 to finish it properly with all secrets n such. when i then play the new abominations for PS3, i'm sooooo disappointed, talking about linear on the rail game, thats what they are now. in that point of view tor isn't on the rails as much as that game
Mirobi Snowdrifter - Sage \\ // Pulian Snowdrifter - Sorcerer
System : AMD Phenom II 955 - 16GB DDR3 (1600) - Radeon HD7950 - Samsung SSD

Bugattiboy
11.07.2012 , 09:04 AM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeff Hickman
Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.
I think you're overestimating.

Free-to-Play goes live this Fall, and we are dedicated to getting Game Updates out to you every 6 weeks or so
Fall = November and beyond? Cool. And It's been longer 6 weeks.

We employ hundreds of QA professionals to ensure that our game is high quality, but sometimes bugs get through.
Really? I can't seem to find evidence of the said QA team anywhere. Sometimes bugs get through? How about most of the time bugs get through.

We test every step of the way as we develop the game or change to the game.
You could've at least made that a little bit more convincing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, other Jedis like how they completely ignored hood toggle?

Jaggedblades
11.07.2012 , 09:21 AM | #206
While i have yet to encounter the end game issues that many other people mentioned above (due to the fact that I am leveling my first toon), I really am not looking forward to that.

However, I will say that I love this game. I love Star Wars. I love KOTOR (present tense, because it is still my favorite game of all time). So don't screw this up, Bioware. The amount of people you will be letting down if you do is probably orders of magnitude greater than what you think.

A few things I would like to see addressed are:

1. New playable races. (Nautolans people, we need Nautolans. You already have the models in game. Also, FYI, I'm fairly certain that most species in the Star Wars universe can learn galactic basic a.k.a English)

2. Guild ships. (or space stations, just something that members can dock with)

3. Player storylines extended at end game, or maybe a merging of stories into high level content.

4. Issues mentioned above, et al.

Costello
11.07.2012 , 09:23 AM | #207
While I am very happy to see this post and hope to see many many many more I can't help feel first that the three questions answered weren't anything new.

For a start I don't think there are many people who play MMO's that wouldn't pay 15 bucks a month if they felt they were getting value for money. If people were saying that the subscription was a problem it wasn't because 50c a day was too much and created a hurdle for them to be enjoying the game. They weren't playing the game or they weren't finding it fun so paying 15 bucks a month was a waste of money. But not nearly as much as playing something you don't enjoy was a waste of their time. As it stands free to play seems to be all about lock boxes and getting more money out of players by offering things that should be in the game for a subscriber in a low random generated way that costs people money to purchase. You want that helm you have to purchase a lock box and then you have a 3% chance to get it. Didn't get it this time buy another lock box!

But enough on what has been said and onto what I would like to know and there are some big things here.

Art Direction, lately we have seen an improvement to grass, facial emotions and shadows which are nice but doesn't detract that the game looks like a cartoon. Stylised was the word used which has lead to a game world that is not suitable for telling the detailed, rich and complex stories Bioware is famous for. My avatar is a little odd looking where I was given very very little choice in face so personally I find the nose too big the lips to big and the overal look far too familar with so many others out there. A major bug bear since you did such wonderful work on cutscens and conversations. I don't think any MMO out there even touches the multiplayer dialogues you have put in. And then there are the people I am interacting with and ment to be feeling something for, once again Im dealing with cartoons. All the emotion of the VO and the story is lost as I watch a cartoon with no realism to it die from me chocking or stabing or shooting it. Only I could be watching him goto sleep for all the impact the art direction offers. So are there any plans to have greater character customisation and more mature art direction?

A Galaxy far far away filled with aliens and strange species. For what every reason the TOR universe seems a whole lot more human than the star wars universe. Players are basically painted humans, none of the planets seem to have their own culture of feel to them. Even Voss didn't have a feeling of an alien world. There seems to be a loss of star wars culture, as any Imperial player can tell you two imperial soldiers are talking about strange creatures the scouts picked off and wookies. Any yet despite all the story and lore it doesn't feel that Im in this world of alien species, its horribly human where at best we skim the surface of new cultures and seldom go deeper. When will we see more alien species to choose from and more detailed impactful story telling of the different cultures within the star wars universe. Maybe its the art dirrection but I feel I know far more about Krogan culture from ME or the plight of my Grey Warden from DA than I do about the Hutts or Trandoshian or wookies etc.

Story and Companions were the big thing pre-launch. Any question about the game were met with 4 basic replies, we aren't ready to talk about that, we have full VO, we have story or we have Companions. I don't think anyone would deny that BW did well with Story and Companions. But it seems that while it was a nice ride both are over now as there is limited repeative story and no use of Companions in end game content outside of the daily grind. And equally annoying nothing you seem to have done in the story carries over past a short mail and perhaps if you are lucky a different option right after you make the choice the next dialogue wheel but often as not the choice doesn't even effect what the person says to you next. One example

Spoiler

And so we end up in the same problem of Dragon Age 2, where you don't feel like its your story you are just there to watch. So the point is two fold, will we be seeing more class and companion story and if so will it have some real effect on the game world or our characters? Cause at the moment you could space bar hitting 1 for everything with as much effect on either. With the light/dark/grey system being totally pointless bring nothing to the game except some cosmetic elements.

Finally when will we see Open world PvP and a meaning to PvP. And then how will you balace it with Battlemaster gear. Fight clubbing Huttball isn't everyone idea of fun and with the removal of Ilum it seems there is little to be said for PvP outside grinding out valour to get PvP gear. While ranked warzones are likely to make open world PvP even harder to enter for people that may not find the artificial confines of same faction fighting over alderaan as appealing. It will soon be a year since Ilum was removed and nothing appears to have been done on it. So when?

uaintjak
11.07.2012 , 09:42 AM | #208
With all due respect, Mr. Hickman, your post told me nothing about the state of the game.

You (once again) explained why the game was going free to play.
You laid out what you thought the problems were (welcome to 3 months ago).
You gave APAC some information (we're not doing anything until free to play, and then we have to evaluate, so hang in there for...well, for some undetermined length of time.)

When can we expect to see some actual new information about the state of the game? Your reputation on communicating with the player base is so tarnished at this point that you absolutely need to come forth and give out some real, concrete information on where this thing is heading.

HammersteinSW
11.07.2012 , 09:44 AM | #209
I made a similar thread months ago stating that the problem is not the subscription fee.

EA/Bioware are adamant in misreading the customer feedback, probably for internal reasons e.g. company politics. When cancelling their exit polls asks for the main reasons why you quit - and you can read this in two ways, namely:

I do not want to pay 15$ for an mmo.
I do not want to pay 15$ for THIS mmo.

Only one of these statements is correct, you can guess which one....

Ketchum
11.07.2012 , 09:50 AM | #210
First off: I love your tattoo. I love you.

Next, I wanna say that I love the game as is. I do not agree with a lot of the decisions the team has made in terms demanded by the vocal minorities here on the forums, but I still love this game, and I will never stop paying a sub to play the complete game, the way it's supposed to be and continue supporting BioWare. With that said, i wanna tell you that you can't please everyone, as you well know, and no matter what you do, if you update the game every week and give into every radical demand on the forums, people will still quit playing (hell, I'll do so if you go that far) so please, PLEASE keep in mind that this is your game and you once had goals and ambitions of what this game should be. These things have since been thrown out the corporate window. Saying again that I love this game and i love BioWare, I want to add that it would please me greatly if you went back to your roots with this game. Make it a story-based MMO once more and ignore the elitists and haters. Make it your game again!