Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

tarkkonis
11.07.2012 , 05:43 AM | #181
Wow, Wow wow, i didn't know Jeff Hickman was heading up SWTOR.

I take issue with the following points..

1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

Reminds me of some state of the game addresses from Warhammer Online. Tralalala our game is awesome (fingers in ears) while the house of cards came crashing down.. Your state of the game address doesnt cut it and doesnt even begin to outline a roadmap for the game. I remember blindly consuming this drivel when I was a loyal, loyal fan of WAR for a long long time, having faith in the mighty MYTHIC to pull things back. Here's what I just read..

STATE OF THE GAME ADDRESS

Hi I'm Jeff I worked on warhammer, here is my funky tat!! Im in charge of SWTOR now and everyone thinks its an awsome game! BTW we're going free to play because its that awesome, nobody wanted to pay a sub. We let some staff go but thats life! 1.4 introduced lots of bugs, didnt you guys know making MMO's is srs bizness and really hard! All those things we said were coming i the past, like the new funky space game, and world PVP.. well, we've got a new producer now so I wont evenmention any of those things.. but rest assured we're working hard!!! See you at the next server merge!

Sorry if im being pessimistic but, i've BEEN HERE.. SEEN IT.. WORN THE T SHIRT. It's all very predictable.

Another point id like to make is that THE MINUTE WAR started to go downhill, with developers leaving, they nolonger had the resources to commit to any sort of game updates. We got the venimous horde, which basically used existing models in the game.. but in terms of creating or evolving game systems.. it all stopped. I really hope we are not at that point in this game.. if so, I swear i'll never touch another BIOWARE/EA game again. I'm already done with Mythic.. i'm saddened to see Mr Hickman here and wonder who on earth put him here. Is it because of his experience with damage limitation?

In short, I was hopeful for the future of the game BEFORE I saw this SOTG address.. Now im devastated.

Why, read it from the horses mouth..

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manife...anagement-2803

Bargepole
11.07.2012 , 05:45 AM | #182
Quote: Originally Posted by HotStuff_SW View Post
Thank you for the update. To ask a couple of questions:

1. When can we expect to see more Chapters of our Class Stories?

2. When can we expect to be able to play Cathar?

Thank you!
Also when will we be able to play Nautolan and Togruta?

Why is your CS department so bad? It takes days/wweks to get an ingame support topic read and then 5/10 times they don't read the request, send a random predefined reply and close the request!

BogyOne
11.07.2012 , 06:08 AM | #183
I always criticized BW's PR because of lack of warnings about major changes, in particular about server merges or panic 1.4 release on days of MoP launch - it looked like BW had no clue til the very last moment if the update is ready for deployment or not.

I am very happy to see this message and see it as step in right direction.

In this cycle I would like to hear in future about how the PTS feedback is collected. Lack of character copy feature, terrrible Error From Beyond bug collection and voices on forum raise suspicion that testers do not feedback being fixated on World First kills after patches go live.

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.07.2012 , 06:20 AM | #184
Dear Mr. Hickman,

could you please outline in next months state of the game where the game is heading in the next 6-12 months and when to expect the space simulator update?

thanks,
LR

Quote: Originally Posted by DuckKing View Post
Day/Night cycles! For god sake BioWare, please acknowledge this!

I'm sick of these non immersive static worlds that feel like movie set pieces!
^ and QFT

anstalt
11.07.2012 , 06:33 AM | #185
How has Jeff Hickman still got a job?

I mean seriously, he's a terrible producer. He oversaw some of the worst years of DAoC. He oversaw the massive mis-handling of WAR. He's now overseeing the mismanagement of TOR. He may be great at organising people (something needed to be a successful live services manager) but he has no clue about MMO design. As executive producer he will have a lot of power to decide what features stay or go, what the devs spend their time doing and he's just not the right person for the job.

Regarding the specific announcement:

1) Our game is great

I think the ~1.3million players who quit the game in the first 6 months after release would massively disagree with you.

2) Our subscription was a barrier to entry meme

Whilst I'm sure there are *some* people who actually can't afford the subscription fee and that adopting a hybrid payment model is a good thing, the *reason* many people said this is because your game is not worth 8.99 a month! This game lacks too many features and is poorly designed and so it is not worth spending 8.99 a month to play it, especially when there are better games out there for the same price.

3) Our release schedule was too slow

Again, get some fecking brains and analyse the *reason* behind this statement. The *reason* people are complaining about your release schedule is because the content you do release is usually low quality and too quick to complete. You design content for a single player game, not a multiplayer game, and thus it takes virtually no time at all to complete. We are bored. I don't care if you release content every 6 weeks or every 6 months, it is the time to consume that is important.

You need better designers, not more content of the same low quality. Please realise that your player base will consume content faster than you can design it. That means you need to give us the tools to make our own content (sandbox elements) or strong reasons to repeat all content. At the moment we have neither, so we're getting bored and quitting.

Please sort it out Jeff, or just quit and let someone who is qualified for the job take over.

*awaits infraction points for insulting Jeff again *
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

MaxveHokif
11.07.2012 , 06:47 AM | #186
Everyone from the game promised NEW CONTENT EVERY 4-6 WEEKS!! It has been over 7 since the last patch where is our new content???? Where are all the stuff you promised since the begining of summer???
Free to Play, HK-51, New level cap, the planet Makeb etc just to name a few!!! Get a move on people u are losing paying customers!!!!

MrKenny
11.07.2012 , 06:56 AM | #187
It would be nice to see a 6 month or longer description of the future content updates that Bioware is working on for SWTOR. Not asking for exact dates but since you said you would like to release content updates about every 6 weeks, I'm pretty sure that you are probably on 6-8 month development cycle and can give players at least a preview or idea of what is coming in the next 3-4 content updates. My thinking on this is that it would get players excited about the game and upcoming content updates.

Currently right now people are waiting for the F2P option that was suppose to be out in the fall which is almost over with (Winter starts 21 Dec 2012). You talk about new characters and content, but give players no idea which or what is coming next or even when. As some players will say "Throw us a couple of bones", "give us some details about when content is coming and what that content is.

jeppelp
11.07.2012 , 07:11 AM | #188
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hello everyone,

Please discuss the Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game blog in this thread!
Will there be new races in the game. Or ned home planets?

Ifrica
11.07.2012 , 07:16 AM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post
your game is not worth 8.99 a month! This game lacks too many features and is poorly designed and so it is not worth spending 8.99 a month to play it, especially when there are better games out there for the same price.
by this analogy, not a single PS3 or XBOX game is worth paying 50 euros for.
The hours of fun I already had for that 12 euro per month outweighs the 50 euros i'd have to pay per game after i finish it in 10ish hours (or even less)
Mirobi Snowdrifter - Sage \\ // Pulian Snowdrifter - Sorcerer
System : AMD Phenom II 955 - 16GB DDR3 (1600) - Radeon HD7950 - Samsung SSD

SithEBM
11.07.2012 , 07:22 AM | #190
Quote: Originally Posted by tarkkonis View Post
Wow, Wow wow, i didn't know Jeff Hickman was heading up SWTOR.

I take issue with the following points..

1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

Reminds me of some state of the game addresses from Warhammer Online. Tralalala our game is awesome (fingers in ears) while the house of cards came crashing down.. Your state of the game address doesnt cut it and doesnt even begin to outline a roadmap for the game. I remember blindly consuming this drivel when I was a loyal, loyal fan of WAR for a long long time, having faith in the mighty MYTHIC to pull things back. Here's what I just read..

STATE OF THE GAME ADDRESS

Hi I'm Jeff I worked on warhammer, here is my funky tat!! Im in charge of SWTOR now and everyone thinks its an awsome game! BTW we're going free to play because its that awesome, nobody wanted to pay a sub. We let some staff go but thats life! 1.4 introduced lots of bugs, didnt you guys know making MMO's is srs bizness and really hard! All those things we said were coming i the past, like the new funky space game, and world PVP.. well, we've got a new producer now so I wont evenmention any of those things.. but rest assured we're working hard!!! See you at the next server merge!

Sorry if im being pessimistic but, i've BEEN HERE.. SEEN IT.. WORN THE T SHIRT. It's all very predictable.

Another point id like to make is that THE MINUTE WAR started to go downhill, with developers leaving, they nolonger had the resources to commit to any sort of game updates. We got the venimous horde, which basically used existing models in the game.. but in terms of creating or evolving game systems.. it all stopped. I really hope we are not at that point in this game.. if so, I swear i'll never touch another BIOWARE/EA game again. I'm already done with Mythic.. i'm saddened to see Mr Hickman here and wonder who on earth put him here. Is it because of his experience with damage limitation?

In short, I was hopeful for the future of the game BEFORE I saw this SOTG address.. Now im devastated.

Why, read it from the horses mouth..

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manife...anagement-2803
Great post, especially the link.