Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Darvus
11.06.2012 , 06:34 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by ;
2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.
I am insulted that this Dev Team continues to try to shove this fabrication down our throats. People knew when they bough this game that it had a subscription. This "State of the Game" was just another chance to try to spin this. The real first step in correcting the issues is to recognize and admit what the issue really is. Until this Dev Team stops trying to convince us that they do no wrong, and everything is just great, we will get no real progress. Maybe Mr. Hickman will address THAT!
"The weak deserve their fate..."

Darvus Sinister
Minions of Darkness

Alynore
11.06.2012 , 06:34 PM | #92
Well, not sure if this will even be looked at by anyone but meh.

One thing I keep hearing in these messages to the players, is BioWare comparing its mistakes and problems to other MMO's. How other MMO"s have had these problems. If you are going to compare yourself, be prepared for the differences. SWTOR has the slowest response times when dealing with bugs that I have ever seen in an MMO. A sister company in EA that is more recent in the MMO market is doing a much better job with the C/S. The Secret World. There are complains about how things are in the game, but you don't see the majority of those post filled with horrible comments about c/s. Customer service needs to be consistent, no matter the means of how you obtain it. You actually seem to get better support when you use a social means in SWTOR than you would in game or calling on the phone. That's not good.

People did not leave because of the subscription cost, if you honestly and truly believe this; you are in denial. No easy way to say that, but its true. The only reason cost would be part of the problem is because other others pointed out in this thread, the quality of what you get versus the price is what makes the subscription expensive. Improve the quality of the service and people would subscribe and be glad to pay the 15 dollars a month. The subs were there in the beginning. They knew what they were paying; but as the quality went down, so did the subs.

Trion (Rift) learned very quickly within the 3-5 months of release that they needed to listen to the community. They have actively done that. That is why they are still able to go on without a free-to-play option and are getting ready to release their expansion.

And please stop telling us that you plan on doing things, or making updates. Just that they are not in the budget or plans at this time. Give us real dates and times so we know it will happen. Otherwise, we wont believe you. Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?

Churro
11.06.2012 , 06:37 PM | #93
I like this game with a passion and would love to see it succeed and continue for many years to come. I will tell you one thing though, guys - as a former subscriber of that other MMO from the company whose name also starts with a B... one of the reasons why I think they managed to keep me hooked and subscribed for years was that they always seemed to push the bounds of gameplay and their creativity, perhaps especially in quest design. Not necessarily in big dramatic ways all the time, but they seemed to always find some unique or interesting way to keep it fresh.

I get that you guys thought "story" was going to be the thing that your game brought to this field. You may have been wrong on this account, but I don't really care either way, as we all agree the story in this game is strong, and the other absolutely essential thing - combat - is also fine. Still, what I'm referring to is more elusive and difficult to describe... it has to do with quest design and combat mechanics, but if I could explain it in one way it would be thus: to always be willing to push the limits and create something truly original. Again, it does not be one big dramatic utterly-game changing (pun intended) thing, but if a few of these creep up into the game, the game will really start to stand out from its competition - especially with F2P coming.

Perhaps you guys discuss these things in your internal meetings and you already know all this, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it. Also, I didn't read this whole thread, sorry.

To give some small, not-altogether original examples, other new MMOs have incorporated "true action combat," "active dodge" abilities, and on select missions you are transformed into a creature or disguised as an enemy. I'm not saying TOR should let us dodge all over the place immediately, and none of these things make or break their respective games IMO but these are examples of what I mean about "thinking outside the holocube"...

Congratulations on a great job so far, guys. Looking forward to next year's content.
May the Force be with us all!

warstory
11.06.2012 , 06:41 PM | #94
i have concerns about the telekinetic spec for sage the cast times are very long and i am fine with that but the damage is very and there is no real synergy with the entire spec. I am sure you can better come up with solutions but one of my suggestions would be add turbulence to telekinetic momentum at x% chance to trigger it

udalan
11.06.2012 , 06:43 PM | #95
Hey Jeff,

I was directed here from reddit, thanks for taking the time to post that, I for one, really appreciate good customer service.

I quit a couple of months after launch because I just did not have time to play, even though I LOVE playing. I restarted my sub a couple months ago because screw it, I just loved playing and even though I only play a few hours a month, $15 was worth it in my opinion.

I'm very excited about F2P, even though i'll probably stay sub'd just 'cause, however in regards to Oceanic server but I disagree with your choice to see how F2P affects server populations THEN make a decision.

If people login, and i'm talking mostly about people who played launch here, where there were 100's of people around, and you could easily do anything with other people, come back to a F2P server and it's just dead (like it is now, very disheartening) I think you'll find you will turn away too much of your potential customer base instantly. Rather than slowly re-building to launch levels of players, like I suspect will happen.

My personal preferrence would be to put all Oceanic players on a PVP server, unless it's not fiscally feasable, in which case moving all Oceanic PVP players to the same US PVP server (Although I really hate the idea of 400ping instead of 40... It's like a dream come true to have such low ping)

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did!
If you didn't... Well then you are not reading this so screw you!
Nom nom nom

Kelbun
11.06.2012 , 06:44 PM | #96
Latest Forbes magazin says George Lucas is distancing himself from the Star Wars franchise because of the SWTOR embarassment, and he was glad to unload it on to Disney.- JK!

Icebergy
11.06.2012 , 06:47 PM | #97
Paid transfers. Where are they? We are getting really tired of waiting for them.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM, 2/10 HM
Jedi Covenant

Soluss
11.06.2012 , 06:47 PM | #98
Its about time you did a "State of the Game" post. It only took you almost a year. That being said, it was pretty lackluster. Most state of the game posts tell people about the near future of the game and how far along they are working on certain features/content.

We already know you are going F2P. We already know why you are going F2P. If you need to restate it then atleast be honest about it. People did not quit because of a 15 dollar barrier. People quit because they didnt feel your game was worth 15 bucks. There is a huge difference there.

I was excited to see you made one of these but now I am even more depressed. You have finally taken this time to talk to us, only to show us that you have some tattoos and tell us how you were the head guy in charge of MMOs that have failed miserably once you took over.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

CelCawdro
11.06.2012 , 06:51 PM | #99
I mean to phrase this as simply as I can, and I hope that no offense is taken. My question is, if you believe that subscriptions were driving people away, why is nearly all of the free-to-play model geared toward influencing people into subscribing?

JadeRyoma
11.06.2012 , 06:52 PM | #100
Thank you, Jeff! And you can definitely keep updates like this coming, although, as with EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS WORLD, we all know that press releases like these are meant to be tangible for the intended audience, but are still shallow in content. But the effort is appreciated!!

As for myself, I love this game. I'm not incredibly MMO savvy but I enjoy everything about this game immensely and find it well worth the money I pay.

I'm going insert a rakghoul face here just because I can:

Hehe