Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Revan disease

NastyButler
11.06.2012 , 08:51 AM | #1
I'm not sure if other servers have this problem and I was just curious if they do. The server we migrated to during the first migration has this disease rampant on it. I call it the Revan disease. Now this is all done RP-wise.

Pretty much it's something I've noticed vast majority of Force user experience. The symptoms are pretty easy to spot.

The first stage is a character starts off trying to be a good Jedi. They try their best to follow the Code and uphold it in RP. Then they get bored of being a Jedi for some reason or decide that they need to break the rules to do what's best.

The second stage is they start to consider going to the dark side but still being a 'good' character and trying to do good but ultimately they realize that they can not be good and just try to do good.

The third stage is they switch factions and roll a Sith under a Sith master who treats them terrible but they still try to be a good character that suffers through it all. They are in this galaxy to do good they say.

Have you encountered this RP before? I mean the first dozen times it's pretty cool. But honestly I've just gotten sick of it on both sides of the fence. What ever happened to just BEING a Sith or Jedi? You don't need to do some crazy complicated backstory of your fall or rise and then come to the cantina to complain about your life to my character.

Hmm...this gives me an idea for an RP now. Maybe my smuggler should start a betting pool on who's going to fall or rise next. It's getting very predictable to me, I could make a lot of credits.

((Maybe a rant, dunno, don't care))

CosmicKat
11.06.2012 , 12:39 PM | #2
This is the same issue all DnD and all fantasy RP has had for eons. Everyone wants to be the Drizzt. Everyone wants to be the "one in a million" dark elf who was a good guy. The result is always the same, for every 10 people of any evil race or faction, 9 of them will be the "one in a million".

redhuntinghat
11.06.2012 , 03:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
This is the same issue all DnD and all fantasy RP has had for eons. Everyone wants to be the Drizzt. Everyone wants to be the "one in a million" dark elf who was a good guy. The result is always the same, for every 10 people of any evil race or faction, 9 of them will be the "one in a million".
I find this a lot too, but I think better roleplayers CAN make this work. One must keep it to a minimum, though, to prevent "The Revan Disease"; a Sith who has a quirk or a soft spot is three dimensional, a Sith who seems like a Jedi who wandered over to Korriban is bad writing (especially for roleplaying) and makes "rare" characters feel all too common.

Somewhat similar is the red Twi'lek thing; in universe, red Twi'leks are supposed to be about as common as albino humans. Yet, some of the most common Twi'lek colors aren't even available, and Lethans (red Twi'leks) make up about 2/3 of redside Twi'leks. See here.

CosmicKat
11.07.2012 , 01:51 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by redhuntinghat View Post
I find this a lot too, but I think better roleplayers CAN make this work. One must keep it to a minimum, though, to prevent "The Revan Disease"; a Sith who has a quirk or a soft spot is three dimensional, a Sith who seems like a Jedi who wandered over to Korriban is bad writing (especially for roleplaying) and makes "rare" characters feel all too common.

Somewhat similar is the red Twi'lek thing; in universe, red Twi'leks are supposed to be about as common as albino humans. Yet, some of the most common Twi'lek colors aren't even available, and Lethans (red Twi'leks) make up about 2/3 of redside Twi'leks. See here.
There's nothing really wrong with roleplaying a good-ish Sith or an evil-ish Jedi, but it can be very silly when the majority of either at any one place is one or the other.

TOR's restriction on cross-faction whispers does however severely limit the RP potential, IMO.

dogmaticus
11.10.2012 , 04:37 PM | #5
I guess the whole dark-light side choice thing is to give you a chance to take your character where your (his/her's) heart desires despite the represented side of the war.

My Jedi is not evil... or at least he doesn't think he's evil. Yes he's consumed by the Dark Side, but he believes to be doing the right thing. He doesn't try to do the right thing - he just does it... as far as he believes. Yes he might be brutal at times, but ultimately he sees his choices as necessary sacrifices for the greater good. And he hates the Empire with his entire soul... word "hate" being the key here .