Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Combat Medic Levelling Help

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Combat Medic Levelling Help

npullan's Avatar


npullan
11.06.2012 , 12:34 PM | #1
Hey everyone,

I have been working on levelling a Combat Medic alt (ton of fun so far) and have run into a lot of trouble on Alderaan.

Since I tend to play this character at really bizarre times of the day, it's not unusual for me to sit in the GF queue for a couple hours without a pop. This means I have to level him by doing the usual world progression.

I am currently level 29 on Alderaan and getting my *** kicked. My gear is definitely contributing as it is currently a mix of Mandalorian Raiders (Rating 62) gear and Nar Shadaa commendation gear (Rating 58). I'm hoarding Alderaan commendations until I pop level 31 and can use the top end mods.

I've tried using Aric Jorgan but the DPS output of the mobs are dropping him relatively quickly. I use my Super Charged Cells to burst him up but he's then killed before I can get back to 30 charges.

Because of this I moved to using M1 to tank for me and while better, it now takes forever to kill anything. Combine this with Elite mobs who can lay down serious DPS and I find I am out of ammo and dead before the mob is.

Am I doing something wrong? Or should Combat Medics just be over leveled for world progression content? I feel like a God when PUGing Flashpoints but feel completely useless when on my own.

Any tips or advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

schooch's Avatar


schooch
11.06.2012 , 02:10 PM | #2
I would suggest lvl'ing as dps. You could always do space missions to level up some.

oaceen's Avatar


oaceen
11.06.2012 , 02:20 PM | #3
at the early levels, it might be easier to use elara and go dps.


if you want to stick with heals, you might just have to push through with forex for a while until you get access to all of that better gear, then you'll be able to keep aric up longer


also, for mob pulls that look like trouble, you can do a few things to help yourself out.
- first, disable all of the AOE attacks that aric has and put him into sniper mode. this will ensure that he doesn't break your mezz:
- use concussive round (1min mezz) on the strongest-looking target. if there are still other enemies left alive 1min later, be sure to use it again immediately when it comes off of CD
- cryo the next toughest-looking guy. 4s later, use no retreat (heroic moment move that resets CD of cryo and heals 2% of max health for 1min) and cryo again
- feel free to use full auto on any weak targets to disable them during the duration. if you can separate several weak targets from the guy you mezzed, feel free to throw a sticky grenade or plasma grenade or just plant mortar volley on a group of weak mobs.

kill the weak targets first, then strong, elite, and on up the food chain


also, make sure that you're keeping aric well-geared as well (as well as you are). it actually makes a huge difference for companions.
also, every planet (as far as i know) has a cantina vendor that sells a 30min stim with a presence bonus. try to stockpile a few of those and keep them up at all times (and maybe try to get some presence stims). gearing up aric and piling on the presence will increase his damage by quite a lot.

johnyangelo's Avatar


johnyangelo
11.07.2012 , 02:22 AM | #4
Ive leveled as a healer and t was pretty easy, all you need to do is to use tank droid companion and heal him like you would tank in your group. He can kill every boss you encounter with some average healing.

1) you learn how to heal in pve
2) you're not being attacked most of the time
3) it takes a while for that companion to kill elites but if you keep him equipped its just easy leveling.

ps. i leveled lvl 50 with this setup in 6 days.

Chef_BoyRUdead's Avatar


Chef_BoyRUdead
11.16.2012 , 04:33 PM | #5
You'll run into levels like this as heals that just drag, all specs get this but heals seems more susceptible
I used 4x until I got the next 2 guys and then swapped between them.

1. Hotkey 4-X's Flameguard ability and pull with that and use it whenever it's on cool down. It does good damage and buffs his Defense so you can spend more time on dps
2. For most fights keep 4-X in dps mode, he'll still hold threat and he'll dps a ton more, switch him to tank for boss fights.
3. Keep 4-X geared. If you aren't cybertech, make friends with one. He is either awesome with good gear or poo with average, not very forgiving.
4. Once I got a better hang of all this I'd do all but boss fights with incendiary cell active for the extra dps.

If all else fails, go back to Tatooine and re-do quests or do quests like the bonus series if you skipped them to get you over the hump.

ladwar's Avatar


ladwar
11.18.2012 , 06:19 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by oaceen View Post
at the early levels, it might be easier to use elara and go dps.
this is what i found best for me even while healing spec myself as geting droid gear was never a thought for me but that was before 1.2 when i could super heal past dps if i ever got to low. speed should not be a worry when u can heal just remember to cc when they break free and use aoes and cryo nade as those are the best parts during levelin.

Vysas's Avatar


Vysas
11.21.2012 , 12:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by npullan View Post
Hey everyone,

I have been working on levelling a Combat Medic alt (ton of fun so far) and have run into a lot of trouble on Alderaan.

Since I tend to play this character at really bizarre times of the day, it's not unusual for me to sit in the GF queue for a couple hours without a pop. This means I have to level him by doing the usual world progression.

I am currently level 29 on Alderaan and getting my *** kicked. My gear is definitely contributing as it is currently a mix of Mandalorian Raiders (Rating 62) gear and Nar Shadaa commendation gear (Rating 58). I'm hoarding Alderaan commendations until I pop level 31 and can use the top end mods.

I've tried using Aric Jorgan but the DPS output of the mobs are dropping him relatively quickly. I use my Super Charged Cells to burst him up but he's then killed before I can get back to 30 charges.

Because of this I moved to using M1 to tank for me and while better, it now takes forever to kill anything. Combine this with Elite mobs who can lay down serious DPS and I find I am out of ammo and dead before the mob is.

Am I doing something wrong? Or should Combat Medics just be over leveled for world progression content? I feel like a God when PUGing Flashpoints but feel completely useless when on my own.

Any tips or advice will be GREATLY appreciated.
i level as heal. never got a problem. (lvl40 right now)
did the first hero4 and the last hero4 solo.
got the healshield from the skilltree. used elara dorn as heal backup. the fights took some time, but i never had to worry of dying.

normal quests i use aric. since balmora i use vic. only for tougher mission i use elara. on nar shadaar i used 4x. u got a whole squad of very usefull compagnions. it isnt a free ride. u still have to do something for the journey.

Kickimanjaro's Avatar


Kickimanjaro
11.22.2012 , 05:01 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Chef_BoyRUdead View Post
You'll run into levels like this as heals that just drag, all specs get this but heals seems more susceptible
I used 4x until I got the next 2 guys and then swapped between them.

1. Hotkey 4-X's Flameguard ability and pull with that and use it whenever it's on cool down. It does good damage and buffs his Defense so you can spend more time on dps
2. For most fights keep 4-X in dps mode, he'll still hold threat and he'll dps a ton more, switch him to tank for boss fights.
3. Keep 4-X geared. If you aren't cybertech, make friends with one. He is either awesome with good gear or poo with average, not very forgiving.
4. Once I got a better hang of all this I'd do all but boss fights with incendiary cell active for the extra dps.

If all else fails, go back to Tatooine and re-do quests or do quests like the bonus series if you skipped them to get you over the hump.
This is what you have to do.

I sat in the queue for nearly two hours this morning, and when I found a group someone was afk and didn't join so it never happened... I guess that is mostly because I play at such odd hours, but I have also experienced the same leveling up problems that you mentioned.

Best of luck leveling, I went from 27-31 today (and still playing) using the above method (with some PvP and Flashpoints thrown in because I enjoy those).
Kickimanjaro / Erinaceous / Stimfiend / Stxnet / yrenn / Snipertoon
<Galactic Forces> on Jedi Covenant

KofooFlyingrider's Avatar


KofooFlyingrider
11.25.2012 , 11:08 AM | #9
I used M1-4X as my companion and had him lead every fight. I used this dps/heals build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#80...ZrIk0RbdRkZc.2 all the way to 50 once i got him. Was a breeze as long as i kept our gear/mods fairly up to date (every 2-4 lvls i upgraded). I have since switched to full heal spec for end game but that dps/heals build will get ya to 50 easily.