Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is this a TOS violation?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

nellosmomishot
08.01.2012 , 01:53 PM | #1
I originally posted this in the general discussion forum, but thought that it might be better served in this one.

Is it against the terms of service to trade wins in rated warzones? If so, what is the best way to report players engaged in such behavior?

Backstory: There's a guild on my server that waits until they have two teams ready to queue. They then queue at the same time and trade wins back and forth. If they get a queue pop that isn't against their own team they drop queue leaving other teams in TIME OUT until the warzone this guild chose to abandon is over.

I could really care less about their win trading, but if it is a way to have action taken against their accounts for making me sit in an empty warzone several times every night then I will pursue it.

Mistress_Ivi
08.01.2012 , 02:08 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by nellosmomishot View Post
I originally posted this in the general discussion forum, but thought that it might be better served in this one.

Is it against the terms of service to trade wins in rated warzones? If so, what is the best way to report players engaged in such behavior?

Backstory: There's a guild on my server that waits until they have two teams ready to queue. They then queue at the same time and trade wins back and forth. If they get a queue pop that isn't against their own team they drop queue leaving other teams in TIME OUT until the warzone this guild chose to abandon is over.

I could really care less about their win trading, but if it is a way to have action taken against their accounts for making me sit in an empty warzone several times every night then I will pursue it.
You'll find this isn't against any of the rules, unless of course, it is interupting your gameplay... then you are free to report at will and hopefully... a CSR who has been trained correctly, will repremand the offenders.
Former SWG Player and Bloody Proud of it!

Cerimon
08.01.2012 , 02:13 PM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings nellosmomishot,

In order to provide you with an individualized response to your question please submit a support request ticket via email or the in-game support portal. Terms of Service violations are a delicate subject and we wish to address these issues on a case by case basis.

Thank you for your understanding.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

nellosmomishot
08.01.2012 , 02:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings nellosmomishot,

In order to provide you with an individualized response to your question please submit a support request ticket via email or the in-game support portal. Terms of Service violations are a delicate subject and we wish to address these issues on a case by case basis.

Thank you for your understanding.
OK, I will do just that whenever it occurs from now on.

To be clear though, is it possible for you to comment on Bioware's stance on win trading?

Shotznow
08.01.2012 , 07:22 PM | #5
They wont even give a straight comment on something that is stated plainly in their ToS, so I doubt they will lock themselves into committing to a stance on this. But ToS does state that the ToS violations are their sole discression.

11. Rules of Conduct

You may violate the Terms of Service if, as determined by EA in its sole discretion, you:

- Post, transmit, promote, or distribute Content that is illegal.
- Harass, threaten, embarrass, spam or do anything else to another player that is unwanted, such as repeatedly sending unwanted messages or making personal attacks or statements about race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.
- Organize, effectuate or participate in any activity, group, guild that is harmful, abusive, hateful, racially, ethnically, religiously or otherwise offensive, obscene, threatening, bullying, vulgar, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, encourages conduct that would violate a law or in a reasonable person's view, objectionable and/or inappropriate. Hate speech is not tolerated.
- Use abusive, offensive, or defamatory screen names and/or personas.
- Engage in disruptive behavior in chat areas, game areas, forums, or any other area or aspect of EA Services. Disruptive behavior includes but is not limited to conduct which interferes with the normal flow of gameplay or dialogue within an EA Service. Disruptive behavior shall also include, but not be limited to, commercial postings, solicitations and advertisements.
- Disrupt the flow of chat in chat rooms with vulgar language, abusiveness, hitting the return key repeatedly or inputting large images so the screen goes by too fast to read, use of excessive shouting [all caps] in an attempt to disturb other users, "spamming" or flooding [posting repetitive text].
- Impersonate another person (including celebrities), indicate falsely that you are an EA employee or a representative of EA, or attempt to mislead users by indicating that you represent EA or any of EA's partners or affiliates.
- Attempt to get a password, account information, or other private information from anyone else on EA Services.
- Upload any software or Content that you do not own or have permission to freely distribute.
- Violate any additional Rules of Conduct applicable to a specific EA Service that you are using.
- Promote, encourage or take part in any activity involving hacking, cracking, phishing, taking advantage of exploits or cheats and/or distribution of counterfeit software and/or virtual currency/items.
- Upload files that contain a virus, worm, spyware, time bombs, corrupted data or other computer programs that may damage, interfere with or disrupt EA Services.
- Post messages for any purpose other than personal communication, including advertising or promotional messaging, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or other commercial activities.
- Improperly use in-game support or complaint buttons or make false reports to EA staff.
- Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.
- Use any game hacking/altering/cheating software or tools.
- Modify or attempt to modify any file or any other part of the EA Service that EA does not specifically authorize you to modify.
- Post or communicate any person's real-world personal information using an EA Service.
- Attempt to interfere with, hack into or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers for an EA Service.
- Use and communicate exploits and/or cheats.
- Attempt to use EA Software on or through any service that is not controlled or authorized by Electronic Arts. Any such use is at your own risk and may subject you to additional or different terms. EA takes no responsibility for your use of EA Software on or through any service that is not controlled by Electronic Arts.
- Interfere with the ability of others to enjoy playing an EA Service or take actions that interfere with or materially increase the cost to provide an EA Service for the enjoyment of all its users.
- Unless expressly authorized by EA, you may not sell, buy, trade or otherwise transfer your Account or any personal access to EA Services, Content or Entitlements, including by use of auction websites.
- You may not conduct any activities that violate the laws of any jurisdiction including but not limited to copyright infringement, trademark infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, identity theft, hacking, stalking, fraud and the distribution of counterfeit software.
- Post or transmit unsolicited advertising, promotional materials or other forms of solicitation in-game or in the forums.
- Abuse or exploit bugs, undocumented features, design errors or problems in the game.
- “Role–playing” is not an excuse for violating this or any other policy.

Celise
08.02.2012 , 12:56 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Shotznow View Post
They wont even give a straight comment on something that is stated plainly in their ToS, so I doubt they will lock themselves into committing to a stance on this. But ToS does state that the ToS violations are their sole discression.

11. Rules of Conduct

You may violate the Terms of Service if, as determined by EA in its sole discretion, you:

- Post, transmit, promote, or distribute Content that is illegal.
- Harass, threaten, embarrass, spam or do anything else to another player that is unwanted, such as repeatedly sending unwanted messages or making personal attacks or statements about race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.
- Organize, effectuate or participate in any activity, group, guild that is harmful, abusive, hateful, racially, ethnically, religiously or otherwise offensive, obscene, threatening, bullying, vulgar, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, encourages conduct that would violate a law or in a reasonable person's view, objectionable and/or inappropriate. Hate speech is not tolerated.
- Use abusive, offensive, or defamatory screen names and/or personas.
- Engage in disruptive behavior in chat areas, game areas, forums, or any other area or aspect of EA Services. Disruptive behavior includes but is not limited to conduct which interferes with the normal flow of gameplay or dialogue within an EA Service. Disruptive behavior shall also include, but not be limited to, commercial postings, solicitations and advertisements.
- Disrupt the flow of chat in chat rooms with vulgar language, abusiveness, hitting the return key repeatedly or inputting large images so the screen goes by too fast to read, use of excessive shouting [all caps] in an attempt to disturb other users, "spamming" or flooding [posting repetitive text].
- Impersonate another person (including celebrities), indicate falsely that you are an EA employee or a representative of EA, or attempt to mislead users by indicating that you represent EA or any of EA's partners or affiliates.
- Attempt to get a password, account information, or other private information from anyone else on EA Services.
- Upload any software or Content that you do not own or have permission to freely distribute.
- Violate any additional Rules of Conduct applicable to a specific EA Service that you are using.
- Promote, encourage or take part in any activity involving hacking, cracking, phishing, taking advantage of exploits or cheats and/or distribution of counterfeit software and/or virtual currency/items.
- Upload files that contain a virus, worm, spyware, time bombs, corrupted data or other computer programs that may damage, interfere with or disrupt EA Services.
- Post messages for any purpose other than personal communication, including advertising or promotional messaging, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or other commercial activities.
- Improperly use in-game support or complaint buttons or make false reports to EA staff.
- Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.
- Use any game hacking/altering/cheating software or tools.
- Modify or attempt to modify any file or any other part of the EA Service that EA does not specifically authorize you to modify.
- Post or communicate any person's real-world personal information using an EA Service.
- Attempt to interfere with, hack into or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers for an EA Service.
- Use and communicate exploits and/or cheats.
- Attempt to use EA Software on or through any service that is not controlled or authorized by Electronic Arts. Any such use is at your own risk and may subject you to additional or different terms. EA takes no responsibility for your use of EA Software on or through any service that is not controlled by Electronic Arts.
- Interfere with the ability of others to enjoy playing an EA Service or take actions that interfere with or materially increase the cost to provide an EA Service for the enjoyment of all its users.
- Unless expressly authorized by EA, you may not sell, buy, trade or otherwise transfer your Account or any personal access to EA Services, Content or Entitlements, including by use of auction websites.
- You may not conduct any activities that violate the laws of any jurisdiction including but not limited to copyright infringement, trademark infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, identity theft, hacking, stalking, fraud and the distribution of counterfeit software.
- Post or transmit unsolicited advertising, promotional materials or other forms of solicitation in-game or in the forums.
- Abuse or exploit bugs, undocumented features, design errors or problems in the game.
- “Role–playing” is not an excuse for violating this or any other policy.
you got one right the others are wrong, the abuse of exploits and undocumented features but the rest are not part of the point, the higlight in red on your quote is what you missed. on that basis alone you have them nailed to the wall.

Axolipher
08.02.2012 , 02:59 AM | #7 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings all,

Thank you for your posts. As there seems to be some confusion I'd just like to clarify that manipulation of the ranked Warzone system is not permitted in-game. This includes the win trading tactics you have mentioned in your first post as this takes advantage of the system in a way that allows for cheating and manipulating of the player rank.

In regards to reporting these events, I would refer to my colleague's previous post in terms of submitting a ticket with as much detail as possible to our in-game customer service team for investigation case by case, and not to discuss or report potential guilds or player names on the forums.

If you have any further queries or concerns please feel free to contact us again as we’d be happy to assist you further.

Thank You.

Axolipher | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

x_XDeathX_x
11.06.2012 , 02:51 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mistress_Ivi View Post
You'll find this isn't against any of the rules, unless of course, it is interupting your gameplay... then you are free to report at will and hopefully... a CSR who has been trained correctly, will repremand the offenders.
I think people dont realize that there is a thing could freedom of chance to enter at a given time or w/e the reason not want to do the match and decline. I think they should do an age check on this game to weed out the kids that complain over everything lol
It Burns When I PVP - The Harbinger
Assassin - xxdeathxx

Amodin
11.06.2012 , 05:29 AM | #9
Honestly, if you didn't want this to take place, then perhaps you should not allow the same side to participate in their own Warzone that counts towards Valor/Rank?

They are using the current game mechanics because they have no one to fight against it sounds like to me. They are waiting for people, it isn't happening so they queue together. Development is to blame for this, not the players. I am not a PVP'er, I don't condone cheating, but this is something that you should have thought about - everyone else did.

nellosmomishot
11.06.2012 , 10:19 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by x_XDeathX_x View Post
I think people dont realize that there is a thing could freedom of chance to enter at a given time or w/e the reason not want to do the match and decline. I think they should do an age check on this game to weed out the kids that complain over everything lol
If you had read my post in the other thread, you would have realized that people complain because you force them to sit in an empty warzone for 10 minutes EACH TIME you drop the queue. That means last night my group spent 40 MINUTES with nothing to do because your group was selfish enough to only queue against each other.

You are right that you are allowed to decline joining a ranked warzone. That option is there, and it is to provide people that have to leave an option to do so. You, however, did not need to leave as you queued again immediately afterwards so that you would play against your own team. This is where the exploitation is, and this is why it is a violation of the rules.
Nellosmomishot - 55 Sage (Seer)
<Intrepid>
U'should Unsub - 55 Guardian (Defense)
<Adroit>